Sponsored

Expected E85 gains....

fiveoboy01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 LB GT 400A
Setup in Signature.

What kind of power gains can I expect with an upgraded fuel system on E85 and no other changes? Obviously given a revision on the tune.

Trying to map out the future for the car and what order to upgrade.

One of these days I'll strap it to a dyno, really no clue where it's at now. Over 700 at the tires would be a goal on E85 with no other changes, not sure if that's attainable.
Sponsored

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Expect 4-5° more spark advance total, and more starting lower in the RPM range. So around on average of 60-100whp gain. 40-75tq.

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Even if you didn't take advantage of more timing and the resulting power/torque, the biggest advantage to E85 is the ability to test/verify the quality of fuel.

The Gen3 has direct injection which helps greatly to combat some of the trashy fuel quality that's out in the market, but given that you're a blown gen2, the ability to actually test the fuel to see if it's up to par is invaluable.

Like all things, if you don't take it to the ragged edge and you build in some safety factor, it's less of an issue, but most tuners to stay competitive are going to tune it on optimal dyno conditions and in the real world with heat soak and fuel variations, I like knowing whether or not the fuel is as good (or better) than what was in the car when they dyno tuned it and we street logged it.

E85 doesn't just allow more timing, it helps with cylinder head temps and helps reduce risk of ring gap failure on very long rips or back to back to back rips.

It has drawbacks. You gut your fuel economy and range. It likes to draw in moisture if you let it sit and daily purge/gulp for long periods of time.

I recommend getting a dedicated ethanol sensor (the whole setup is about $400) so you can examine the alcohol content anytime from an app on your phone. That way you know if it's bad and to take it easy(er) on the car or if it's up to par and rip away.

illadvised

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian Spilner
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT - 6R80 - Paxton 2200SL
I have a very similar setup and also curious, e85 was probably my next big change (after return fuel system).

What pulley would we be at going from 91 to e85? I am on the stock paxton pulley currently.

Sponsored

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
I have a very similar setup and also curious, e85 was probably my next big change (after return fuel system).

What pulley would we be at going from 91 to e85? I am on the stock paxton pulley currently.
You could drop many pulley sizes. This is a very vague and open question.

OP
OP
fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 LB GT 400A
Thanks guys. I'll plan on 60-80HP conservatively. Lund does the tuning so I'd expect that they will get me a bit extra without popping anything.

As far as testing the gas, that's great, but I have no idea how to do that. 😒

LOL WUT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 GT
Thanks guys. I'll plan on 60-80HP conservatively. Lund does the tuning so I'd expect that they will get me a bit extra without popping anything.

As far as testing the gas, that's great, but I have no idea how to do that. 😒
Google E85 tester and pick one up. They are like $10-$15 and it takes a few minutes max to test before filling up 👍.

Wraith_S550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
A boosted car will see 80-100HP more on e85. If E85 is available in your area it is worth it.

Sponsored

ProChargerTECH

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang(s)
80-100hp gain with E85 and no change in boost. (with proper tuner)

Sadly I have seen some "toons" that just adjust the AFR and no other changes. (weak sauce)

Unas2k5

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Samer
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, 2021 Explorer ,2019 Impala
The tester is on Amazon. Put water til the water fill line and e85 til the fuel line and shake. It settles and a line appears at your reading.
Sponsored