Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
18 GT350R
Service is completely different from production. Part numbers can be different as well (GR3E vs GR3Z for example).

Without having access to Ford's internal systems, I can't answer why a GT350R engine would be sent for repair of a GT350, if what you have even actually is the 19MY GT350R engine.

My GT350 non-R will be here in early April. I will be able to share my engine code number to see it's base, and then we can go from there.
Exactly
Sponsored

cosmo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT
Explain.
You know that the letters indicate Year.
F=15
G=16
H=17
Etc.

It makes absolutely no sense to put different internal parts in either engine.
Especially when they see the same RPM.
If that’s the case they should of installed billet opg and timing gears.
While I would agree improved billet parts would be nice, we don't know why Ford has two different phasers. But we do know that two exist, and two have been used.

Ist it possible sometime in 17, all GT350s received the GR part
Potentially. GT350R could have gotten something first, then the GT350 got it later. But since this Phaser kit from Ford racing (same part number) has been since before the 2017s, it is evident that it should have been available in Honeybadger's engine. But it is not. So until we see a non-R engine with this phaser, we can't say this for sure.

btown93

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Knight Industries 2000
What more evidence do you need? Did you read this article?

https://www.fordnxt.com/tech-storie...ms-build-the-shelby-gt350s-voodoo-5-2-engine/

It clearly states that unique R parts are the lash adjusters and the VCT (phasers) As stated by people that assemble the engines.

It also says that all the parts are scanned. Do you know where the “scans” end up? HVBOM. We have engineering numbers from the bill of materials and engineering numbers from actual engines that have been disassembled and they match.

The GR3E is the prefix of an engineering number that is physically stamped on a part. GR3Z is the prefix of the service number or part number on the package. Engineering numbers cross to part numbers.

Pick any vin you want and take it to your local dealer and ask them to look up the 6500 and 6c525 on HVBOM

Last edited:

GT350-H6088

Mustang with a Mouth
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350 (H6088) RR Black stripes/white p
I was able to enlarge the Magazine image
0mJ7Oyf.jpg

The two part numbers that show up
FR3E-6C524-CB This one is printed over XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
GR3E-6C524-BA
My 2018 350R confirming the GR3E phaser. Can y’all see the pics?
wjqpkUf.jpg

rkvYNjq.jpg
Interesting that these two GT350R pictures have the same acuators with the xxxxxxxxx
Something else intereting,
in the second picture the top (intake) acutator number is GR3E-6C524-BA and the bottom (exhaust) is GR3E-6C525-BA

I cant find the GR3E-6C524-BA anywhere

I found these parts on Ford Parts whats interesting is the date, 2015-2017, not 2018

Code:
2015-2017    Camshaft - Ford (INTAKE; LEFT)        Shelby GT350, Shelby GT350R    GR3Z-6250-B    "    $78.05"
2015-2017    Camshaft - Ford (INTAKE; RIGHT)        Shelby GT350, Shelby GT350R    GR3Z-6250-A    $77.91
2015-2017    Camshaft - Ford (EXHAUST; RIGHT)        Shelby GT350, Shelby GT350R    GR3Z-6250-D    "    $77.78"
2015-2017    Camshaft - Ford (EXHAUST; LEFT)        Shelby GT350, Shelby GT350R    GR3Z-6250-C    $77.64

2015-2017    Actuator - Ford (INTAKE; LEFT)    GT, GT Premium    Shelby GT350, Shelby GT350R    FR3Z-6C525-B    $80.29

GT350-H6088

Mustang with a Mouth
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Service is completely different from production. Part numbers can be different as well (GR3E vs GR3Z for example).

Without having access to Ford's internal systems, I can't answer why a GT350R engine would be sent for repair of a GT350, if what you have even actually is the 19MY GT350R engine.

My GT350 non-R will be here in early April. I will be able to share my engine code number to see it's base, and then we can go from there.

According to the engine tag it is.

The KA-555-AA "K" being 2019"
Engine Build Date of 12/12/2018 and the First one built that day
8M37od0.jpg

Sponsored

Dominator961

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
18 GT350R
None of this matters anyhow.
Both the R and non R have records of failed engines.
I love this car. If I lost sleep over it this wouldn’t be my second one.

GT350-H6088

Mustang with a Mouth
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Your right, I am not mad that my engine was replaced, I look at it as the nature of the beast,
and possibly some of the issue is due to user error in not breaking in the engine properly.
i.e. the dealer letting a brand new car idle for over an hour and me babying the car for 500+ miles
an I'll bet if a lot of the people with ring failure look back at the first 500 miles they may see a trend.

Alot of the cars that do not use oil were driven hard but not too hard out of the gate do not use any oil.

Anyway I digress, I love the car and would buy another one as well, I have no hard feelings what so ever
well maybe towards the Dealer I purchased the car from and their poor service department.. But the Second
deal I went to who replaced my motor I had a great experience with..

Ok well Cheers..

Last edited:

madlag

Snake Charmer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350R, 2022 GT500
First, what we know of “engine failures” is vague and unclear. We know that motors in both lines have been replaced that didn’t need to be replaced... so to call it an engine failure, and knowing that ford has a blanket “don’t open engine just replace it” policy and without knowing what component is at fault, is just silly.

Second, From what I’ve seen the R “engine failures” are rare. That’s logical since there are so few of them. According to that last excel spreadsheet I saw floating around, which I can’t find now, the numbers were extremely low. I’ll generalize the numbers from memory:

25k GT350’s Produced. Let’s estimate high and say 250 replaced engines. This means a failure rate of 1%

2300 GT350R’s produced with let’s just say 5 replaced engines means a failure of 0.2%

If GT350R’s represent 9.2% of all cars poduced, and only 5 have failed, then I’d say a GT350R failure rate is more like 0.02% against total population failures; making it statistically less likely to fail according to these numbers. Is that because of a difference in engine? No damn clue.

My point being that if the engines were identical, we’d expect to see similar % of failure rates across the line. There are things that could explain this. Just wanted to point it out. I’m sure there are others better at math than me. Thx

Mountain376

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Camaro SS 1LE, '16 Camaro SS, '12 Mustang GT
What if, all GT350 engines are intended to have the same parts, BUT the GT350R was directed to receive the better phaser (because it’s the R...) first? What I mean is, both engines started with the same parts, initially, Ford upgraded the phaser (for a running change in 16); due to a running change, the R’s were directed to get the upgraded part first until stock of the previous part ran out [at Romeo] and was fully replaced by the new AND THEN all GT350s would get the part.

We’d need a 15 R’s part number and 18/19 non-R’s part to see...

This would line-up with comments on Ford people stating there is not suposed to be a difference and the comments from the Romeo line workers indicting there is some difference, but not being privy to the reasoning/details.

Or did I miss this being posted?

Mountain376

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Camaro SS 1LE, '16 Camaro SS, '12 Mustang GT
Also, I can speak from experience with Ford and Chevy parts ANY of the online, none-dealer direct parts catalogues are not 100% accurate or complete...

THE Ford dealer internal parts catalogue trumps ANY online, public catalogue...

Sponsored

Dominator961

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
18 GT350R
Your right, I am not mad that my engine was replaced, I look at it as the nature of the beast,
and possibly some of the issue is due to user error in not breaking in the engine properly.
i.e. the dealer letting a brand new car idle for over an hour and me babying the car for 500+ miles
an I'll bet if a lot of the people with ring failure look back at the first 500 miles they may see a trend.

Alot of the cars that do not use oil were driver hard but not too hard out of the gate do not use any oil.

Anyway I digress, I love the car and would buy another one as well, I have no hard feelings what so ever
well maybe towards the Dealer I purchased the car from and their poor service department.. But the Second
deal I went to who replaced my motor I had a great experience with..

Ok well Cheers..
Exactly my point
I didn’t break in my first 16 gt350 track pack. I dynoed it over 16 times between 24 miles and 220 miles on the odometer.
Plus some aggressive street driving.
I made sure the engine temps were at normal temperature and oil levels were full.
Car never used any oil and ran great!
Only reason I don’t have that car is I got an 18R.
This car will also be treated the same way.

Dominator961

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
18 GT350R
First, what we know of “engine failures” is vague and unclear. We know that motors in both lines have been replaced that didn’t need to be replaced... so to call it an engine failure, and knowing that ford has a blanket “don’t open engine just replace it” policy and without knowing what component is at fault, is just silly.

Second, From what I’ve seen the R “engine failures” are rare. That’s logical since there are so few of them. According to that last excel spreadsheet I saw floating around, which I can’t find now, the numbers were extremely low. I’ll generalize the numbers from memory:

25k GT350’s Produced. Let’s estimate high and say 250 replaced engines. This means a failure rate of 1%

2300 GT350R’s produced with let’s just say 5 replaced engines means a failure of 0.2%

If GT350R’s represent 9.2% of all cars poduced, and only 5 have failed, then I’d say a GT350R failure rate is more like 0.02% against total population failures; making it statistically less likely to fail according to these numbers. Is that because of a difference in engine? No damn clue.

My point being that if the engines were identical, we’d expect to see similar % of failure rates across the line. There are things that could explain this. Just wanted to point it out. I’m sure there are others better at math than me. Thx
In my opinion the rate of engine replacement is low. It’s so low that ford hasn’t issued a recall.

Personally I know of 4 R’s that have had engine replacements.
One of these R’s has had 2 engine replacements.

To be honest, I believe most of the failed engines are from the own owners fault.

madlag

Snake Charmer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350R, 2022 GT500
In my opinion the rate of engine replacement is low. It’s so low that ford hasn’t issued a recall.

Personally I know of 4 R’s that have had engine replacements.
One of these R’s has had 2 engine replacements.

To be honest, I believe most of the failed engines are from the own owners fault.
On this we 100% agree on it being a low occurrence!

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
Jesus this myth will never end.
Nothing is different in any voodoo engine.
It’s bad journalism that’s it.
Nothing is different inside or out.

The only difference between non R and R
Are.
1) wheels and tires.
2) no resonators.
3) struts and shocks.
4) .062 larger rear sway bar.
5) magneride programming.
6) red caliper, stitching, stripe, seat delete, splitter, spoiler,

In addition to the 6 differences that you pointed out between a non R and an R that came equipped with the Electronics Package here are another 12 items that are additional differences between the Base R's built and an R equipped with the Electronic Package.

1. No radio.
2. No navigation.
3. No air conditioning.
4. No speakers.
5. No USB ports.
6. No sound deadener.
7. No floor mats.
8. No back up camera.
9. No oil pressure and water temperature gauges.
10. No trunk tray.
11. No tire inflator kit.
12. No GPS/radio antenna globe.

Add them all up and there are actually 18 differences between the 135 Base R's built and a GT350.

With respect to the difference in overall tire height between a GT350 and a GT350R which certainly does affect acceleration and top speed I agree that the 4% difference in tire height between my 2015 Track Pack car and my 2018 R model does come into play with the 4% advantage going to the R model when it comes to acceleration and of course is in addition to all of the many weight reductions that is listed above.

:sunglasses:

GT350-H6088

Mustang with a Mouth
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)

There are several Types of engine failures:
1) Rings not seating properly
Symptom - causing excessive oil use
Could Affect - could lead to (2-4) if oil is not checked and gets too low
Prevention - Breaking Engine correctly do not baby it, and limited flogging till first oil change (200-500 mi)

2) Bearing Failure - Engine goes boom -
Symptom -
Could Affect -
Prevention -

3) Oil Pump Gear - Loss of oil pressure -
Symptom -
Could Affect -
Prevention -

4) I forget the other one
Symptom -
Could Affect -
Prevention -