Sponsored

Engine Coolant Topoff - Normal?

UnhandledException

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Recently I have started noticing the radiator fan going all the time and its not even that warm out. Engine and oil temps are always normal not sure why the fan runs frequently. But anyways, I decided to check the coolant (parked it on a level surface, waited 20-30 min for car too cool off) and saw that it was below MIN mark but not by much. Maybe by 1/2-1/4” or so. I topped it off and brought it middle between MIN and MAX marks.

Car has 20750 miles and I had to do this once exactly in 10250 miles (but back then it wasnt because fan was running it was because I was on a 2500 miles trip and was checking out the car).

Is this normal? I checked the hoses etc and dont see any leaks from the top. Did not go under the car.

The amount of coolant I had to add both times were probably not much maybe 250ml or so.
Sponsored

MrCincinnati

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Recently I have started noticing the radiator fan going all the time and its not even that warm out. Engine and oil temps are always normal not sure why the fan runs frequently. But anyways, I decided to check the coolant (parked it on a level surface, waited 20-30 min for car too cool off) and saw that it was below MIN mark but not by much. Maybe by 1/2-1/4” or so. I topped it off and brought it middle between MIN and MAX marks.

Car has 20750 miles and I had to do this once exactly in 10250 miles (but back then it wasnt because fan was running it was because I was on a 2500 miles trip and was checking out the car).

Is this normal? I checked the hoses etc and dont see any leaks from the top. Did not go under the car.

The amount of coolant I had to add both times were probably not much maybe 250ml or so.
I had to add some a few months ago - about the same amount. Not suggesting it's normal - just not unique. FWIW It didn't really concern me.

SVTinAR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350, 2003 Lightning & ERA FE Cobra
I would just keep an eye on it. If it continues I would check for any foam on the underside of your oil fill cap. I can't see any reason you should continue to have to top it off unless there is a leak or gasket issue.

PoppinJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
I would just keep an eye on it. If it continues I would check for any foam on the underside of your oil fill cap. I can't see any reason you should continue to have to top it off unless there is a leak or gasket issue.
This. If its a one time thing then I wouldnt worry about it. If it continuously needs a fill then there is a leak somewhere. If nothing shows up on the ground then its either being burnt or going into your oil. I would just watch it closely for the next couple of months the make sure.

fpa1974

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350R
I had to add too. A little less about 150ml maybe. I have been keeping an eye on it and the level did not move since. I think the amount OP was talking about and the miles mentioned is not a problem.

BTW, what is the recommended coolant flush interval on these cars?

Sponsored

TDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 2019 Challenger Scat Pack Widebody, 2019 Corvette Grand Sport
My radiator was replaced under warranty due to a slow leak. It was so slight nothing appeared under the car and was only noticed when I brought it in for the oil line recall.

oldnick9333

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350, 15 GTPP, 02 Lightning
My radiator was replaced under warranty due to a slow leak. It was so slight nothing appeared under the car and was only noticed when I brought it in for the oil line recall.
Exactly same situation here. I ran it hard 2 or 3 times in the hot temps back
in Oct, 2017 to make sure it was a coolant leak for Ford svc dept. They noticed
a small leak in the lower right corner of the radiator. The radiator and the oil
cooler tube assembly (lines) were replaced under warranty. IIRC, Tank's thread
about the "Do's and Don'ts" and what to look for mentions the coolant issue.

OP
OP

UnhandledException

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Exactly same situation here. I ran it hard 2 or 3 times in the hot temps back
in Oct, 2017 to make sure it was a coolant leak for Ford svc dept. They noticed
a small leak in the lower right corner of the radiator. The radiator and the oil
cooler tube assembly (lines) were replaced under warranty. IIRC, Tank's thread
about the "Do's and Don'ts" and what to look for mentions the coolant issue.
Do you mind linking that post?

My car has almost 21,000 miles and a small amount every 10,000 miles may not be so bad. My M5 required top off 2-3 times in 40,000 miles as well.

I suspect this is not related to the fan constantly running or does it?

fpa1974

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350R
I suspect this is not related to the fan constantly running or does it?
If your fan is constantly running and coolant level looks fine it is either air in the system, partially blocked passage somewhere, dirty radiator, bad temp sensor (I know BMWs have at least 2, one close to radiator and one in the head) or something along these lines (hopefully). You can always have the blown head gasket case but probably not that likely.

oldnick9333

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350, 15 GTPP, 02 Lightning

Sponsored

N9TMARE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550, e36 m3 , s2000
It’s just a ford, deal with it.

DocWalt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
I had to add a little coolant around ~10k miles on my car. I bought the car at 2700 miles and it was in about the middle then. Meh, whatever.
Sponsored