Sponsored

Edelbrock E-Force Troubleshooting Manual

Kona 18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang
Finally warmed up enough to do some pulls, I didn't have any logs to compare too with the exact same condition so I picked a few that would give the edelbrock HE an advantage and the new HE still outperformed it. Over all, the new H/E shows anywhere from 5-10*f lower charge temps when compared to any of the logs I had before, which is a good result given more boost = higher discharge temps = intercooler works harder

New H/E results:
80-155mph
3.00” Pulley(12psi)
Ambient: 60*f
Starting temp: 70*f
Ending temp: 95*f
Increase in Temp: 25*f

Edelbrock H/E:
80mph-141mph
3.25” Pulley(9-10psi)
Ambient: 45**f
Starting temp: 66*f
Ending Temp: 100*f
Increase in Temp: 34*f

The edelbrock run has colder ambient temps, shorter pull and I was running a larger pulley(2 less psi).
Sponsored

aleccolin

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.CarClubVT.com
First Name
Colin
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Nice result, I was curious if the Edelbrock provided IC pump would work well with the larger heat exchanger, and it looks like it does.

Last edited:

Kona 18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang
Nice result, I was curious if the Edelbrock provided IC pump would work well with the larger heat exchanger, and it looks like it does.
The Edelbrock pump is the same pump almost every blower company is swapping too, It's made by Varimax, both Edelbrock and Whipple use it, and I think Roush uses it on their newer kits as well, it's a damn good pump

aleccolin

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.CarClubVT.com
First Name
Colin
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
The Edelbrock pump is the same pump almost every blower company is swapping too, It's made by Varimax, both Edelbrock and Whipple use it, and I think Roush uses it on their newer kits as well, it's a damn good pump
Didn't know that, good stuff.

The rate of heat transfer is a function of the temperature differential. Since the delta T in an intercooler system is much lower than a typical engine cooling system, the rate of heat transfer will also be lower, so the extra dwell time in the larger heat exchanger will help get more of the heat out, and it also means as long as the IC pump is sized appropriately to the IC itself, going to a bigger pump and increasing the flow might not help and could even result in lost efficiency.

Kona 18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang
Didn't know that, good stuff.

The rate of heat transfer is a function of the temperature differential. Since the delta T in an intercooler system is much lower than a typical engine cooling system, the rate of heat transfer will also be lower, so the extra dwell time in the larger heat exchanger will help get more of the heat out, and it also means as long as the IC pump is sized appropriately to the IC itself, going to a bigger pump and increasing the flow might not help and could even result in lost efficiency.
It is also a dual pass design, so the coolant is forced to slow down as it makes a 180* turn in order to come back out.

Sponsored

Torinate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
Holy crap!

Where did you find a nice road t like that to test out the 155 mph capability? Envy...

Kona 18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang
Pulley showed up, will prob swap it on later today, won't be able to do any test hits though since it's going to be 44* and raining

Screen Shot 2019-11-07 at 2.42.55 PM.png

Last edited:

BlueCollarDaily

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT 400a
Correct I had it made by a big name in the community, so I believe there are plans to make more, but waiting to see how it goes with mine before that's looked into any further
Tell said person he had one sold the second he makes another...I have active shutters and mine runs 25-30 over ambient cruising....I need it bad was considering a rear tank if for no other reason to slow down the heat soak....and of course ice it I ever go to the track....
Constant source of good info Kona the community thanks you....

ForYourOwnGood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue 5.0
Pulley showed up, will prob swap it on later today, won't be able to do any test hits though since it's going to be 44* and raining

Screen Shot 2019-11-07 at 2.42.55 PM.png
Wanna sell me your 3.25? I was hoping to get one before I die of old age but Edelbrock doesn't seem to keen on shipping them.

Sponsored

ForYourOwnGood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue 5.0
Let me see I should have mine somewhere I upgraded to stage 2 8 rib....
Just curious why your slowing it down?
For winter time. Colder air and worse gas isn't a good combo, plus the torque at 11lbs means I'm blowing the tires off everywhere trying to drive normally if there's a nice day. Even at 45 degrees I can spin the tires at 75mph since I'm using the stock 18 inch all seasons and it's only going to get colder. I have a 3.50 pulley now but it brings the boost all the way down to 6.5-7 psi so I want to try a 3.25.

OP
OP
Jobodizo

Jobodizo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 DIB GT
Vehicle Showcase
I've thought about doing the same thing, but with a 3.5 (2650) for winter driving. Is there a chart somewhere that shows boost vs pulley size? Does changing it require a retune?

ForYourOwnGood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue 5.0
I've thought about doing the same thing, but with a 3.5 (2650) for winter driving. Is there a chart somewhere that shows boost vs pulley size? Does changing it require a retune?
Lund told me no retune, the car drives better with the bigger pulley honestly, easier to start and it drives much smoother (6th gear is useful on the highway again too without boost). Every .25 seems to equal about 2psi for the 2300 kit so 3.25 should be 9psi or so.
Sponsored