Ecoboost vs modded v6

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
Wut. Gearing ratios allows you to climb through your RPM band quicker, it doesn't put "more torque to the wheels".
It does... It doesn't change the eninge's peak torque but it changes the amount of torque being translated to the wheels per revolution. So yes a 3.55 rear gear ratio is about a 30% increase in rear wheel torque per revolution thus resulting in quicker 0-60 times.
Sponsored

cosmo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT
It does... It doesn't change the eninge's peak torque but it changes the amount of torque being translated to the wheels per revolution. So yes a 3.55 rear gear ratio is about a 30% increase in rear wheel torque per revolution thus resulting in quicker 0-60 times.
Ehh you're talking two different things. The engine outputs x ft-lbs of torque at a given moment. A shorter gear ratio allows more engine/trans revolutions in comparison to the revolutions of the wheel. So the wheels will see more torque per revolution of the wheel, but only up to the limit x. NOT 30% more torque i.e. 1.3x . I just wanted to make that clear, as the previous poster didn't specify that. They just said 30% more torque, and a subsequent poster took it as such.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Ehh you're talking two different things. The engine outputs x ft-lbs of torque at a given moment. A shorter gear ratio allows more engine/trans revolutions in comparison to the revolutions of the wheel. So the wheels will see more torque per revolution of the wheel, but only up to the limit x. NOT 30% more torque i.e. 1.3x . I just wanted to make that clear, as the previous poster didn't specify that. They just said 30% more torque, and a subsequent poster took it as such.
That's incorrect, sorry. The transmission and rear axle act as torque multipliers. They take the crankshaft torque and multiply it by the ratio of input to output. In the case of the 6R80 transmission, you have a 4.17 first gear. The torque at the wheels is the crankshaft torque multiplied by the first gear ratio and then again by the axle ratio, so in that case a 14.8 ratio for the EB and a 11.4 ratio for the 2014 V6. This calculation discounts further torque multiplication by the converter for the sake of keeping it simple. Your gears 1-4 turn the wheels at a slower speed than your engine. 4th gear is very close to 1:1 at 1.14. 5th and 6th overdrive and make the wheels turn faster than the engine, and thus the measured torque at the wheels would be LESS than at the crankshaft.

The 3.55 axle DOES provide 30% more torque to the wheels at any given moment than the 2.73 axle.

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
It's all about the mechanical advantage the gears provide. Taller rear gears (lower # value like 2.73s) provide less of a mechanical advantage then shorter rear gears (higher # value like 3.55s). Like I said before, it doesn't change the overall amount of torque at the engine but it does increase the amount of torque to the ground. That is what torque multiplication is.

gear ratio X peak engine torque = rear wheel torque output

Nice article I found to explain this: http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/transmission-drivetrain/how-gear-works/

Edit: BmacMI beat me to it..!

Sponsored

Evil87GN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 TY EB auto
I'm a fan of both motors. But there are a lot and I mean a LOT of V6s from the previous gen running in the 12s. I think gears had a lot to do with the result of this race.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not as many as you would think. The 3.7 in the 11-14's is a peaky little engine, and you have to get things just right for a good run. My '13 that I traded for the EB was making 300 rwhp/291 tq....headers, X pipe, cat back, alum d/s, JLT cai, and dyno tuned. Best pass I knocked down was a 13.3 @ 105.7...6 spd manual w/3.73's. There are a few out there that will surprise you though. Quickest all motor 3.7 car in the country went 12.28 @ 110, but the 2nd quickest has run 12.38 @ 113. Both cars ran in seriously negative air density though. Put boost to the 3.7 and it gets pretty stupid. Friend in South FL just made some shakedown runs on his new turbo setup...11.03 @ 129+ with a 1.86 60ft. That's gonna be a bad, bad V6 when the car is dialed in.

I know a bunch of the Florida Cyclone owners, and will be going to their track rental in a few weeks at Orlando Speed World. I got told to bring my shiny new toy so I could get beat up by some Cyclones. I'm going to be tuned, cai, and maybe bigger intercooler by then, so they may get a surprise :lol:

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette
Not as many as you would think. The 3.7 in the 11-14's is a peaky little engine, and you have to get things just right for a good run. My '13 that I traded for the EB was making 300 rwhp/291 tq....headers, X pipe, cat back, alum d/s, JLT cai, and dyno tuned. Best pass I knocked down was a 13.3 @ 105.7...6 spd manual w/3.73's. There are a few out there that will surprise you though. Quickest all motor 3.7 car in the country went 12.28 @ 110, but the 2nd quickest has run 12.38 @ 113. Both cars ran in seriously negative air density though. Put boost to the 3.7 and it gets pretty stupid. Friend in South FL just made some shakedown runs on his new turbo setup...11.03 @ 129+ with a 1.86 60ft. That's gonna be a bad, bad V6 when the car is dialed in.

I know a bunch of the Florida Cyclone owners, and will be going to their track rental in a few weeks at Orlando Speed World. I got told to bring my shiny new toy so I could get beat up by some Cyclones. I'm going to be tuned, cai, and maybe bigger intercooler by then, so they may get a surprise :lol:
I gotta go there and get a baseline time soon lol
Sponsored