petraman

Now with more MPGs!
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2018 VW Golf
I don't think I really got a good feel for the EB as it was filled with 87 octane sourced from a mystery tank in the back of the dealership. It definitely felt like it was missing some torque down low, though. Couldn't do 6th gear passes anymore on the highway (gonna miss that).

Engine aside, the thing I loved the most about the EB was how much it communicated through the steering wheel... It wasn't E30-grade but it was a hell of a lot better than the ST. I think with some better tires and a more aggressive suspension setup, it'll be a blast to drive in its own way.

However, the ST has never needed any excuses like that... you're looking at a car that's 1000 lbs heavier than the FiST. It's always going to have the edge over the EB around town.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Sterling Archer

Sterling Archer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Evil Mobile
I think the FiST is the best city car ever made. I ended up buying a FoST because I do a lot of highway driving and the Focus has a considerably better interior, but I think for city driving the mustang would be a downgrade.

Teezlr

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.JakeTiesler.com
First Name
Jake
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 HP - 2000 Land Cruiser - 2001 Sequoia
I think the FiST is the best city car ever made. I ended up buying a FoST because I do a lot of highway driving and the Focus has a considerably better interior, but I think for city driving the mustang would be a downgrade.
Mustang
mpg will be worse, steering response worse and probably feel slower because of taller gearing, loaded 35k vs 26k

Fiesta
Not as sexy, not as spacious, interior is worse, less comfortable and gets mistaken for a Prius regularly.... Jokes on them I suppose

Papaya

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Holger
Vehicle(s)
F150 2.7 EcoBoost
Drove last winter with a SMART Cdi through the Edmonton winter. Lots of fun. The car actually drove like a GoCart always drifting around the corners. :D
Junior didn't like it but he made is first driving hours in the Smart car. Only 45HP but it pushed like a big one. RWD Turbo engine. :D

OP
OP
Sterling Archer

Sterling Archer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Evil Mobile
Mustang
mpg will be worse, steering response worse and probably feel slower because of taller gearing, loaded 35k vs 26k

Fiesta
Not as sexy, not as spacious, interior is worse, less comfortable and gets mistaken for a Prius regularly.... Jokes on them I suppose
That's why I ended up getting a FoST instead (that and I basically stole it, $26k fully loaded with 0% apr for 72 months). Honestly I think the current mustang is more of a GT car, but if you really want a sport coupe then it's the best option for the price imo. I think the next best value comes in with the 428i M sport, which is not even close to the same price range (but the balance is arguably better, Farah seemed to prefer the 228iM to the M4 for the lighter weight and smaller size - so I would assume the coupe version would be a good option).

Sponsored

Teezlr

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.JakeTiesler.com
First Name
Jake
Vehicle(s)
That's why I ended up getting a FoST instead (that and I basically stole it, $26k fully loaded with 0% apr for 72 months). Honestly I think the current mustang is more of a GT car, but if you really want a sport coupe then it's the best option for the price imo. I think the next best value comes in with the 428i M sport, which is not even close to the same price range (but the balance is arguably better, Farah seemed to prefer the 228iM to the M4 for the lighter weight and smaller size - so I would assume the coupe version would be a good option).
Yeah, you got a great deal!

Tempting as the leasing option can be a tax write off for some and it's still cheaper than financing a 5.0 I'm sure.

McCarthy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mustang
It all depends what you want to do with the car, the Fiesta ST is going to be the most fun to hoon around the city, as the age old saying goes; more fun to drive a slow car fast... Now on a track however, the Mustang without a doubt. FWD exists for one reason; economy, where as RWD is so much better balanced for the track. Throw power at either platform and take it to a road course and see what i mean...

Plenty of big power RWD cars on the track every weekend, FWD big power? Notsomuch...

Speaking from experience here to... I used to own a 2007 Civic Si that was supercharged and made a bit over 400whp. On slicks, with a proper LSD, it was useless on a road course. Out of the corners it just spun and spun and spun, into the corners it just understeered. A Mustang you can actually control...

Teezlr

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.JakeTiesler.com
First Name
Jake
Vehicle(s)
It all depends what you want to do with the car, the Fiesta ST is going to be the most fun to hoon around the city, as the age old saying goes; more fun to drive a slow car fast... Now on a track however, the Mustang without a doubt. FWD exists for one reason; economy, where as RWD is so much better balanced for the track. Throw power at either platform and take it to a road course and see what i mean...

Plenty of big power RWD cars on the track every weekend, FWD big power? Notsomuch...

Speaking from experience here to... I used to own a 2007 Civic Si that was supercharged and made a bit over 400whp. On slicks, with a proper LSD, it was useless on a road course. Out of the corners it just spun and spun and spun, into the corners it just understeered. A Mustang you can actually control...
Sounds like fun but also annoying, much more fun to have rear wheel drive traction issues which it seems like they are getting so much better at tuning out of these cars. Another reason why the 5.0 I drove felt drama free.... No wheel spin

neodark

Left 4cyl @home
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jorge
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP2
so, I had a guy on an ST behind me get on the other lane to get beside me. EB won, stopped after 60 :)

Both are sweet cars. I did hate the clutch on the ST.

OP
OP
Sterling Archer

Sterling Archer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Evil Mobile
so, I had a guy on an ST behind me get on the other lane to get beside me. EB won, stopped after 60 :)

Both are sweet cars. I did hate the clutch on the ST.
Ehh, the EB has a much better engine. Wait for the Focus RS if you want a performance comparison (though I'm not sure that would be fair either, my guess is it'll be at GT levels).

Sponsored

EcoSwag1990

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Triple Yellow GT
If attracting females is part of the fun factor then there is clearly no comparison between a Mustang and Focus st.

Unless it's opposite day

neodark

Left 4cyl @home
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jorge
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP2
Ehh, the EB has a much better engine. Wait for the Focus RS if you want a performance comparison (though I'm not sure that would be fair either, my guess is it'll be at GT levels).
Oh, I know about the ST... It was still fun :)

OP
OP
Sterling Archer

Sterling Archer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Evil Mobile
If attracting females is part of the fun factor then there is clearly no comparison between a Mustang and Focus st.

Unless it's opposite day
Actually most girls I know think my Focus is "cute" and know nothing about mustangs; it's only the car girls that are into mustangs (which is a much smaller subset).

ilkhan

435 ilkhan approved HP.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
[Gone 2016 400A] > 2017 F150
After having sat in an S550 the FoST dropped off my want list completely. Such a difference in quality and layout between the 2.

Flak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 SVT Fusion Coupe
Honestly, for cheap fun FWD to flip around, I would think the Fiesta ST would probably be a bit more energetic than the Focus, just due to chassis size.
Sponsored