Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Just test drove a Fiesta ST.

HOLY CRAP. This car is unquestionably more fun than my friend's '13 GT. I still want to try a '15 mustang before making any decisions, but I think we have a winner in the "most fun" category.
Have you driven a Focus ST, and if you have, how did they compare? I've been dying to drive a FiST but I don't want to waste a sales person's time and money.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Sterling Archer

Sterling Archer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Evil Mobile
Have you driven a Focus ST, and if you have, how did they compare? I've been dying to drive a FiST but I don't want to waste a sales person's time and money.
I have, the Focus ST is a noticeably bigger car in comparison. I will contend that the top end of the FiST is a little soggy after 4500 rpm, but the gearbox is so compliant that you really don't care.

But here's the real kicker, with the FiST I was literally smiling the entire time I was driving. With the FoST, I was mainly smiling when I got to pull away after a turn. The handling of the FiST is simply better - the car is completely manic.

It wants you to throw literally everything you can think at it, and then laughs maniacally in retaliation. Again, I want to test drive a 15 mustang before throwing down, but the FiST was the greatest car I've ever driven to date.

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
I can't wait to see the Focus RS (AWD) on American soil...

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I have, the Focus ST is a noticeably bigger car in comparison. I will contend that the top end of the FiST is a little soggy after 4500 rpm, but the gearbox is so compliant that you really don't care.

But here's the real kicker, with the FiST I was literally smiling the entire time I was driving. With the FoST, I was mainly smiling when I got to pull away after a turn. The handling of the FiST is simply better - the car is completely manic.

It wants you to throw literally everything you can think at it, and then laughs maniacally in retaliation. Again, I want to test drive a 15 mustang before throwing down, but the FiST was the greatest car I've ever driven to date.
That sounds like a blast. :)

I'm going to do my best to test drive one when I go to try out the S550. The idea of a small car with a peppy motor is still really enticing. Also wish that there would be a way to try out the ND Miata before I consider the Mustang.

petraman

Now with more MPGs!
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2018 VW Golf
I drove the Fiesta ST and it was... strange. I was disappointed at how much slower it felt, and it didn't seem to handle as well as my FoST. Yet, somehow, I got out of the car laughing. It's just proof that numbers don't mean everything. In fact, even power doesn't matter that much. The Fiesta ST was an absolute hoot to drive but I couldn't imagine myself getting anything smaller than what I currently have.

Oh and the gearbox was a lot better and the clutch was like a feather compared to my Focus.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Sterling Archer

Sterling Archer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Evil Mobile
I drove the Fiesta ST and it was... strange. I was disappointed at how much slower it felt, and it didn't seem to handle as well as my FoST. Yet, somehow, I got out of the car laughing. It's just proof that numbers don't mean everything. In fact, even power doesn't matter that much. The Fiesta ST was an absolute hoot to drive but I couldn't imagine myself getting anything smaller than what I currently have.

Oh and the gearbox was a lot better and the clutch was like a feather compared to my Focus.
That was another big thing I noticed. Especially when it came to launching from a dead stop, the clutch in the Fiesta was a lot friendly than the Focus.

But I couldn't agree more about the numbers not meaning much. The car was definitely slower than the FoST, but at the same time I was squealing with joy the entire time I was in the car. And when I started to run out of fuel (apparently driving like a madman is not very range friendly), I just dumped it into a high gear and it felt like a normal tiny NA engine.

OP
OP
Sterling Archer

Sterling Archer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Evil Mobile
Got called in by the dealer to try a '14 GT, and well....

[ame]

Yes, the sound was better. Yes, I could go faster on the highway. But other than that? I thought the Fiesta ST basically was running circles around it, like a chicken with its head cut-off that somehow always knew where to go. Absolutely manic, but always in complete control. In other words, this:

I'm going to wait to try an ecoboost Mustang to be positive, but I'm 90% sold on the FiST.

OP
OP
Sterling Archer

Sterling Archer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Evil Mobile
Here's one other thing that just hit me with the Fiesta ST.

Part of the fun is that it does have some torque steer in the low gears. You don't even recognize it at first because the car handles so unbelievably well, but reflecting back on it, I definitely recall having to wrestle with the car a bit. The SVT team basically numbed down the steering wheel in the FoST to combat that, but they left it all there in the FiST for the user to enjoy (I know, weird right?). So you literally spend your entire time on a roller coaster, trying to keep up with what the car wants - and I think that's what made it by far the most fun car I've ever driven.

stilesg57

Threads
Reaction score
Bummer to hear you don't compare the Mustang GT favorably to the STs. However....

I just got to drive a '15 WRX yesterday. If you think the Fiesta ST is that much fun, head on down to your local Suby dealer. Make sure to wear a black turtleneck and fake mustache so your work colleagues don't recognize you ;)

OP
OP
Sterling Archer

Sterling Archer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Evil Mobile
Meh, I'd never even consider a suburu because of how lack luster their interiors are. Ford at least puts in a decent amount into the ST's infotainment etc.

Right now the one major dark horse that not many people have talked about is the Focus RS. I haven't seen it myself, but those who have are saying it's going to be an absolute monster (if not legitimately dangerous to drive).

Sponsored
OP
OP
Sterling Archer

Sterling Archer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Evil Mobile
Yeah there's no question it'll be a beast. The difficult part will be acquiring it; word is that it'll be in extremely limited quantities - but the AWD system used will eventually trickle down to the other vehicles.

OP
OP
Sterling Archer

Sterling Archer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Evil Mobile
Looks like Matt Farah got his hands on a WRX, said there's no way in hell he'd trade a Fiesta ST for one:
[ame]

stilesg57

Threads
Reaction score
Too funny: I took a kart around Adams a decade ago when I visited my sis who was going to college in Redlands. Small world.

Interesting. I need to drive one of those little turbo Fiestas I guess, because I was really impressed with the new WRX after having owned a 2002 and lived with a 2005 for a couple months.

Funny enough, I met that guy at a party in LA like a year and a half ago. Pretty cool guy. He sure was hounding my buddy for a ride/review of his V10 Audi R8 though. Always hustlin' I guess :)

Teezlr

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.JakeTiesler.com
First Name
Jake
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 HP - 2000 Land Cruiser - 2001 Sequoia
Bring this thread back!

I currently own 2014 Fiesta ST

I test drove a 2015 GT PP.... granted I watched them fill it up with 87 octane...it felt big(makes sense), linear power band (makes sense) and the gearing wasnt the best for stop and go city traffic...

I loved the looks and sounds but it wasnt as fun as the Fiesta ST around town.

Im hoping the Ecoboost with a tune would help fill the gap.... more down low torque and less weight.

The GT's linear power band would be great for the track but around town it felt subtle compared to the fiestas 20 pounds of boost and 220 wheel torque at 2500 rpms...

Anyone else have experience with both?
Sponsored