Focus ST vs EcoBoost Mustang

dgc333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
I am considering trading my ST for a EcoBoost Premium Mustang 6spd.

I finally got an opportunity to drive one yesterday and was somewhat disappointed in the performance compared to my ST. My ST has a Stage 1 tune and I realize the Mustang weights more but I expected the acceleration to be more comparable.

The Mustang doesn't seem to have the low mid range torque the ST has and still lacks top end like the ST. I had the salesmen with me and he got kind of nervous when I started running it through the gears so this may all be in my head.

I understand the driving modes effect the throttle response. My question is could what I was experiencing be the result of not being in sport mode. I wasn't able to try the modes.

Any inputs from folks that have gone from an ST to the Ecoboost Mustang would be much appreciated.
Sponsored

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
I didn't go from an ST to an Ecoboost but keep in mind that you probably drove with 87 octane in the tank. From what I have heard/seen it makes a big difference in the Ecoboost performance going from 87 to 93.

cosmo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT
There's about a 20-30 HP loss when using 87, fair point.

You're also comparing a tuned turbo vehicle versus a non tuned turbo vehicle. Tunes are getting pretty insane results on this vehicle, pushing it into the 12s fairly easily without any bolt-ons. Stock for stock, the ST is probably more fun. You also have to realize you don't have torque steer anymore, so it may seem less intense because of that reason as well. Tuned... This car will definitely make you smile much more.

Last edited:

Papaya

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Holger
Vehicle(s)
F150 2.7 EcoBoost
There's about a 20-30 HP loss when using 87, fair point.

You're also comparing a tuned turbo vehicle versus a non turbo vehicle.
I am sure you didn't had a coffee yet. The Focus ST comes with the 2.0 Turbo EcoBoost engine and the Mustang EcoBoost comes with the 2.3 Turbo engine. :D

And yes. The Mustang should have a tune first to compare both cars. But A "little" city car like the Focus ST with front wheel drive is different to the much bigger Mustang with rear wheel drive - in driving and the larger weight. And yes. The shorter Focus "feels" faster anyway. I have never driven the Focus ST but a lot European FWD cars like the Golf GTI.

cosmo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT
I am sure you didn't had a coffee yet. The Focus ST comes with the 2.0 Turbo EcoBoost engine and the Mustang EcoBoost comes with the 2.3 Turbo engine. :D

And yes. The Mustang should have a tune first to compare both cars. But A "little" city car like the Focus ST with front wheel drive is different to the much bigger Mustang with rear wheel drive - in driving and the larger weight. And yes. The shorter Focus "feels" faster anyway.
Thanks, forgot to put in another "tuned".

Sponsored

PewterCam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Z28 Camaro and 2015 Ecoboost Mustang
Your tuned ST has probably 60ft lbs of torque and 10 more hp than it did stock! This alone would give it more torque than a stock EB Mustang which has the torque limited at low rpm. Go back and ask to test drive a Stock ST or take the tune off your car and then drive a Stock EB Mustang.

OP
OP
dgc333

dgc333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the feedback guys.

I have a lot of experience with both FWD and RWD performance. I have had turbo FWD daily drivers continiously since 1985 and currently have a 68 Barracuda with approximately 400HP/400 ft-lbs in the garage. I can tell the difference between the twichyness of the ST and the rear wheel drive of the Mustang and the Mustang just doesn't accelerate through the rpm range as fast.

I did a little more digging and the Mustang 0-60 is a few 10ths quicker and about the same in the 1/4 so the tune on my ST may very well be the difference I noticed.

The STs 2.0 only loses 9 HP peak and zero torque between 87 and 93 octane. Ford actually states it in the manual. You only notice the difference above 5000 rpm. I would expect the 2.3 would be something similar. Does Ford state the difference between 87 and 93 like they do for the ST.

A stage 1 tune on a ST adds 16-18 HP peak and about 40 ft-lbs peak on the torque. The torque curve stock is relatively flat between 2500 and 4500 rpm. The Stage 1 tune allows the torque peak to jump much higher at 2500 rpm and then continuely drops off to red line where it is just slightly higher than stock at the HP peak. The power curve I have seen for the 2.3 has pretty much the same shape as the stock ST curve.

DanFish

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dante
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red GT, 2015 Black Eco
Thanks for the feedback guys.

I have a lot of experience with both FWD and RWD performance. I have had turbo FWD daily drivers continiously since 1985 and currently have a 68 Barracuda with approximately 400HP/400 ft-lbs in the garage. I can tell the difference between the twichyness of the ST and the rear wheel drive of the Mustang and the Mustang just doesn't accelerate through the rpm range as fast.

I did a little more digging and the Mustang 0-60 is a few 10ths quicker and about the same in the 1/4 so the tune on my ST may very well be the difference I noticed.

The STs 2.0 only loses 9 HP peak and zero torque between 87 and 93 octane. Ford actually states it in the manual. You only notice the difference above 5000 rpm. I would expect the 2.3 would be something similar. Does Ford state the difference between 87 and 93 like they do for the ST.

A stage 1 tune on a ST adds 16-18 HP peak and about 40 ft-lbs peak on the torque. The torque curve stock is relatively flat between 2500 and 4500 rpm. The Stage 1 tune allows the torque peak to jump much higher at 2500 rpm and then continuely drops off to red line where it is just slightly higher than stock at the HP peak. The power curve I have seen for the 2.3 has pretty much the same shape as the stock ST curve.

The mustang loses 15% horsepower but no torque going from 93 to 87. The power curve of the 2.3 will look the same as the 2.0 bc its basically the same engine but just a little more displacement and different turbo. Here are some dyno runs from COBB.

Last edited:

EcoSwag1990

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Triple Yellow GT
Sport vs Normal driving mode is actually a pretty big difference in throttle response.

petraman

Now with more MPGs!
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2018 VW Golf
As a former ST owner (drove the ST to the dealership to test drive the EB) I came away with the same thought. My car had the COBB stage 1 tune as well. I'm pretty sure that a lot of it had to do with my tune, and the 87 octane my dealer (assuming) put in. After looking at COBB's EB dyno charts, I'm sure that a tune would bridge the gap (and then some). It's going to suck going to a heavier car, but for the price you really can't do much better.

Sponsored
OP
OP
dgc333

dgc333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
I don't think the extra 300 lbs that the Mustang weighs is really significant, especially in a daily driver environment.

I really do like the looks of the 15 Mustang and the interior is a knock out.

If I can get my price on the ST trade I am going to do it.

stormtrooper

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chance
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost
I just got a COBB tune yesterday. And it deff woke this car up from stock. Runs much better. This is how it shoulda came from the factory.

TheDivaDanielle

Living the Dream
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danielle
Vehicle(s)
2016 GTPP Vert / 2016 Focus RS
As the owner of both a '13 Mustang GT that is modded and a full on stage 3 2014 Focus ST, that I will say that I am totally down with someone trading up to a Mustang. You need to look at the big picture. Stock for stock the Mustang is up over 50hp on the ST. It's also got a better turbo that isn't already maxed out like the stock K03 in the ST. It also suffers from the Focus ST's issues. small intercooler, and exhaust that can open up a lot of potential.

Look at it this way... You get a stock ST, it puts down 252 at the crank and maybe 225 at the wheels? Then you do intake, downpipe, catback, and intercooler and tune and you're suddenly just a hair under 300whp, and it's only because of the turbo limitations. that's already like 330hp at the crank.

The Mustang with the same mods is going to be 350whp or better which of course is knocking on the door of GT performance. i.e. 400hp+

that alone is worth it. I mean hell I have only $1500 into my Focus for all of those mods and it blows the tires off in first and second, and part of third..

Knowing all of this myself, I have been really considering a Mustang Ecoboost, but for all the sexy sounds the Ecoboost makes - that turbo whistle, BPV flutter, and the cool sound of low throttle compressor stall, the sound of a screaming v8 is still better.

pepperglenn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Mustang
I am considering trading my ST for a EcoBoost Premium Mustang 6spd.

I finally got an opportunity to drive one yesterday and was somewhat disappointed in the performance compared to my ST. My ST has a Stage 1 tune and I realize the Mustang weights more but I expected the acceleration to be more comparable.

The Mustang doesn't seem to have the low mid range torque the ST has and still lacks top end like the ST. I had the salesmen with me and he got kind of nervous when I started running it through the gears so this may all be in my head.

I understand the driving modes effect the throttle response. My question is could what I was experiencing be the result of not being in sport mode. I wasn't able to try the modes.

Any inputs from folks that have gone from an ST to the Ecoboost Mustang would be much appreciated.

My roommate has a 2014 focus ST and I noticed the same things you mention but when we went out and tested the cars, the mustang was faster, but not by much. The mustang is a lot smoother than the ST which takes away some of that seat of the pants hauling ass feel

stormtrooper

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chance
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost
So i just ran a Focus ST. Wasn't stock as i heard exhaust. Maybe a muffler delete. But i ran him with the high boos setting and walked him. So i put it on the lowest boost setting and it was pretty even until around 80 and i started pulling pretty good on him.
Sponsored