Sponsored

Ecoboost to GT Regrets? Tips/Suggestions?

Crowd.Slayer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Oxford White
Vehicle Showcase
I think it might be a trifle early to erect a headstone over the ’22s.
No headstones being put on anything over here. Simply saying that it has begun to get increasingly harder to get access to what has previously been readily available. By no means should that deter someone from getting what they want. I simply want to make someone aware of their options if they have certain goals in mind. I know I had no idea the rabbit hole I was stepping into with the purchase of my gen2 GT, and I would have greatly appreciated if someone had told me to ask myself a few key questions that I did not even think to consider at the time. But it could help with someone's decision making whether the latest and greatest is possibly right for them. That's all.

I know I personally would consider adding boost to an NA application 'heavily modifying'. But I should have been more specific and added that.
Sponsored

gimmie11s

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Murica!
Can both of you please grow up? :giggle: :like: There is absolutely nothing wrong with an Ecoboost Mustang. They are great cars especially the newer HPP/HP versions. Not everyone wants or needs a V8. That said, I grew up on American muscle and wanted and needed another V8 in my lifetime. The sound is intoxicating whether I'm blasting down a country road or at a stoplight.

OP has already made up his mind (in the right direction I will say), but for anyone else you need to drive it. If it doesn't bring the biggest smile on your face then maybe you could pass.

Nothing wrong with an EB mustang other than the car is too heavy for a 4 cylinder, they sound like dogshit (worse than a coyote if that's even possible), and are overpriced.

It's amazing to me that someone would pay $40k, or north of $40k, for this 4 cylinder car when the v8 version can be had for the same or less money sans some of the interior frills or gadgets.

But hey... to each their own!

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
So, not quite apples to apples, but I recently traded in my V6 S550 for my ‘22 GT. I owned the V6 for 2.5 years and it was my entry into Mustang ownership (prior to that I was a GM guy for 20+ years). I loved my V6 and it was a lot of fun but it can’t hold a candle to the coyote. Do I miss my V6, yeah a little bit (I tend to get attached to all my cars at some point). Do I regret trading up for the GT? Not a chance

Sponsored

OP
OP
XFactor7889

XFactor7889

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Performance Package
Nothing wrong with an EB mustang other than the car is too heavy for a 4 cylinder, they sound like dogshit (worse than a coyote if that's even possible), and are overpriced.

It's amazing to me that someone would pay $40k, or north of $40k, for this 4 cylinder car when the v8 version can be had for the same or less money sans some of the interior frills or gadgets.

But hey... to each their own!
I admit, it would definitely be a different thought process for me now if I was even considering something like the EB HPP. I do find it hard to spend that much on it when I know only a little more will get me the GT. That said, I still really like them and think the EB is hated on more than it should be. When I got my 15, my needs were different and the price difference was more drastic, especially for CPOs. So it was a much different thought process.

OP
OP
XFactor7889

XFactor7889

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
So, not quite apples to apples, but I recently traded in my V6 S550 for my ‘22 GT. I owned the V6 for 2.5 years and it was my entry into Mustang ownership (prior to that I was a GM guy for 20+ years). I loved my V6 and it was a lot of fun but it can’t hold a candle to the coyote. Do I miss my V6, yeah a little bit (I tend to get attached to all my cars at some point). Do I regret trading up for the GT? Not a chance
Thanks for your input! I think you're summing up my anticipated experience well, as I also get attached to my cars. And my EB in particular is the first one that I considered my own that I spent time modifying over these years (while I loved the Mach 1, it was my late father's car, gifted to me by my mother while I was in college. So I never felt like it was truly mine. [Don't worry, I didn't just move on from my dad's car. My brother asked me if he could buy it from me, so it's still in the family and the reason I wound up with the EB]).

OP
OP
XFactor7889

XFactor7889

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
lol imagine being that exact mustang on the assembly line and you saw that your fate was this photo. how quickly would you rev yourself to 20k rpm to explode
Idk, I am a big F&F fan. This may be a must for me :crackup:

Dinokill3.7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Gt PP
Went from 2017 V6 to 2017 GT PP and while I liked my V6 for what it was, I kinda regret buying instead of the V8 right of the bat lol.

My daily driver and I average 11.7 MPG but I’m on E85.

AvalancheSVT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Douglas
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT PP1 6spd
$20 says Black Friday
Disclaimer: i'm only talking about engine performance mods :D
some pp2 reps and ford racing lowering springs could easily be in my future when i wanna change things up a bit.

Sponsored

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 Ram 1500
Where’s @shogun32 when we need him? Come on Matt, help this brother out!

Toretto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Iconic Silver
I agree 100% that it's all personal preference.

For me, after having the eco for 4 years:
- I just don't like driving a 4 banger
- Turbo is fun here and there, and hearing the turbo spool is cool
- As much as I tried to be at peace with the sound, I just couldn't

The GT fits me just right
- Sounds amazing, driving slow or WOT
- Predictable/linear power
- I'm happy with it 100% stock (I've had the car since July 2021)

Last edited:

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
I owned a V6, GT, EB all at the same time. Then I replaced the V6 with SS/1LE and owned all three for 2 years, picking a different car to drive every few days as the mood hit.

If you jump out of the GT into the EB you'll definitely notice a lack of thrust until you remember, hey, I've gotta use more gas and spin it harder. Once you recalibrate then you'll notice the EB zips right along.

yes, owning 2 almost identical cars is a bit silly but has it's own reward. I do different mods to each car for sh*ts. The EB *needs* active Exhaust or at least a good aftermarket to have Mustang "presence". The GT is "fine" with just teh stock cans.

The only time the EB spanks the GT in MPG is small throttle highway steady cruise. Otherwise it's too close to care.

The GT is a little "obnoxious" to drive, while you can drive the EB harder and not come across poorly.

The pricing for the PP1 or EB/hpp has gone completely bat-sh*t insane. They are absolutely NOT worth it anymore. Buy a basic trim and for a fraction of $$$ you can put in radiators, 4/6-pot brakes and actually GOOD suspenion - eg. Bilstein or FP *TRACK* package etc.

OP
OP
XFactor7889

XFactor7889

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
I owned a V6, GT, EB all at the same time. Then I replaced the V6 with SS/1LE and owned all three for 2 years, picking a different car to drive every few days as the mood hit.

If you jump out of the GT into the EB you'll definitely notice a lack of thrust until you remember, hey, I've gotta use more gas and spin it harder. Once you recalibrate then you'll notice the EB zips right along.

yes, owning 2 almost identical cars is a bit silly but has it's own reward. I do different mods to each car for sh*ts. The EB *needs* active Exhaust or at least a good aftermarket to have Mustang "presence". The GT is "fine" with just teh stock cans.

The only time the EB spanks the GT in MPG is small throttle highway steady cruise. Otherwise it's too close to care.

The GT is a little "obnoxious" to drive, while you can drive the EB harder and not come across poorly.

The pricing for the PP1 or EB/hpp has gone completely bat-sh*t insane. They are absolutely NOT worth it anymore. Buy a basic trim and for a fraction of $$$ you can put in radiators, 4/6-pot brakes and actually GOOD suspenion - eg. Bilstein or FP *TRACK* package etc.
I appreciate you sharing! I agree on the exhaust, but I admit I am not certain I come across considerably less obnoxious in my EB while driving. I've got the MBRP race cat back on mine, it may not be a coyote, but it's definitely not quiet. That is something I've noticed more and more as I've heard stock EBs driving around my new stomping grounds.

I am curious to know your thoughts on the 1LE. That would likely be the other car I'd even consider swapping my EB for if I were to pass on the GT. But I'd definitely consider one as a second car in a few years. I love the 6th gen 1LEs and briefly considered buying one in the spring when I learned I'd be moving south for a new job.
Sponsored