Sponsored

Ecoboost to GT Regrets? Tips/Suggestions?

OP
OP
XFactor7889

XFactor7889

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Performance Package
i'm at 14k vs 4k on the clock... the orange is asking $45k... haven't appraised mine yet...
What has you considering the switch? That HPP is an awesome spec and the exterior mods you've done look great! Considering I started this thread, no judgment on my end, just curious if I can help you through your consideration of the swap.

DandeeLioness

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dandee
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT Premium
Funny how that works. My wife was initially against me getting a Mustang at all, because she really didn't want to spend the money, and with gas prices so high a V8 is unreasonable (and she wasn't wrong). But then we were at the dealer negotiating for a Mustang GT Premium with Black Accent package that I had my eyes on, and she noticed the California Special sitting in the showroom that I wasn't even considering because of the higher price.

"What's that?" she asked. "I like that one a lot better."

Once I "agreed" to spend about $3000 more on the GT/CS, she was suddenly excited about the purchase. Since then, she's been loving the car as much as I do and even talks about wanting red brake calipers to better match the aesthetics.

It's hard to understand sometimes...

Iā€™m thinking convincing her to spend a lot of money on something thatā€™s only going to continue to cost a lot of money (gas, tires, inevitable mods ā€” she did the math) was the hard part. Obviously, she eventually agreed to it if she was there with you on the showroom floor, so at that pointā€¦may as well go big or go home, right? lol šŸ˜‚

Iā€™m the same way. For me, buying my Mustang was one of the hardest decisions Iā€™ve ever made on my own for the first time, because Iā€™m not a risk-taker; hence my 20+ years of dutifully loyal Civic ownership.

Once I knew I was actually going to go for it, though? Wellā€¦in the immortal words of a Mr. John Hammondā€¦

A1F3BBD9-AEE9-4760-99E4-CACF52B0521D.jpeg

šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£

arigr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 eco pp mustang
What has you considering the switch? That HPP is an awesome spec and the exterior mods you've done look great! Considering I started this thread, no judgment on my end, just curious if I can help you through your consideration of the swap.
the color was what i was looking for when i started my hunt... (in 2019)... the ecoboost popped up with every dang option that makes that model desirable to a frugal shopper i guess but i was'nt looking for frugal... i'm 69... this was the only car i ever just walked into a dealership and said "here's $39 grand, gimme that one"... all my cars my whole life have been used bargains or hand-me-downs... IF i can get this dealer down justa hair, i figure i'm trading up šŸ™ƒ the gt has everything i have now minus handling pack, is one year newer, and 10000 miles younger, plus i have the money not to have to use a trade-in option (not to mention i have saved every stock piece i have replaced with after-market)

arigr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 eco pp mustang
the color was what i was looking for when i started my hunt... (in 2019)... the ecoboost popped up with every dang option that makes that model desirable to a frugal shopper i guess but i was'nt looking for frugal... i'm 69... this was the only car i ever just walked into a dealership and said "here's $39 grand, gimme that one"... all my cars my whole life have been used bargains or hand-me-downs... IF i can get this dealer down justa hair, i figure i'm trading up šŸ™ƒ the gt has everything i have now minus handling pack, is one year newer, and 10000 miles younger, plus i have the money not to have to use a trade-in option (not to mention i have saved every stock piece i have replaced with after-market)
and not to mention... i figure if i can play this right i get a newer gt for $10k or so and scratch that itch i got for a $70k mach 1 (which could result in a severe case of lackonookie or possible divorce):crackup:

Sponsored

OP
OP
XFactor7889

XFactor7889

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
and not to mention... i figure if i can play this right i get a newer gt for $10k or so and scratch that itch i got for a $70k mach 1 (which could result in a severe case of lackonookie or possible divorce):crackup:
šŸ˜„ well that all certainly makes sense. Good luck with your negotiations!... oh and since you said you've got all the stock parts, if you end up needing to sell the stock HPP handling pack wheels...I know someone who's interested šŸ˜

markonline1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Ecoboost
Similar position for me to the op. About to pay off my 2018 base eco with 101a. Love my 2.3 (grew up owning 4 cyl turbos), but it definitely lacks a soundtrack. I do about 5k a year as I ride for fun and for commuting when itā€™s not wet, so didnā€™t really want to extend or up my car payments. Car max are prepared to give me what I paid for the car 4 years ago, so I kinda thought it was now or never to own the 5.0. Iā€™ve ended up going for a 2017 GT premium that I should be picking up Saturday. A slight concern about going for the older model, but itā€™s got everything I want (including a manual gearbox). I plan on keeping this until Iā€™m forced to stop putting Dino juice in the car.

OP
OP
XFactor7889

XFactor7889

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Similar position for me to the op. About to pay off my 2018 base eco with 101a. Love my 2.3 (grew up owning 4 cyl turbos), but it definitely lacks a soundtrack. I do about 5k a year as I ride for fun and for commuting when itā€™s not wet, so didnā€™t really want to extend or up my car payments. Car max are prepared to give me what I paid for the car 4 years ago, so I kinda thought it was now or never to own the 5.0. Iā€™ve ended up going for a 2017 GT premium that I should be picking up Saturday. A slight concern about going for the older model, but itā€™s got everything I want (including a manual gearbox). I plan on keeping this until Iā€™m forced to stop putting Dino juice in the car.
Congrats on the new ride! So Carmax is still paying top dollar for ecoboosts, huh? I may have to check them out so I can capitalize on it before my new one is built. What color is the GT you're getting? Did you get exactly what you were looking for?

markonline1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Ecoboost
Congrats on the new ride! So Carmax is still paying top dollar for ecoboosts, huh? I may have to check them out so I can capitalize on it before my new one is built. What color is the GT you're getting? Did you get exactly what you were looking for?
Itā€™s ruby red. I did get everything on my wishlist. Wanted the premium when I bought the eco 4 years ago, but all the premiums were automatic and I wasnā€™t prepared to give up a stick. Luckily I found one with the 101a package so I got the decent screen. Plus I love the triple yellow colour. The GT is a 2017 with 42k on the clock compared to my eco which is a 2018 with 32k on the clock, so yeah, Iā€™m happy.

Sponsored
OP
OP
XFactor7889

XFactor7889

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Itā€™s ruby red. I did get everything on my wishlist. Wanted the premium when I bought the eco 4 years ago, but all the premiums were automatic and I wasnā€™t prepared to give up a stick. Luckily I found one with the 101a package so I got the decent screen. Plus I love the triple yellow colour. The GT is a 2017 with 42k on the clock compared to my eco which is a 2018 with 32k on the clock, so yeah, Iā€™m happy.
Awesome! Ruby Red is definitely a great color. Glad you were able to find exactly what you wanted. Hope you enjoy it!

arigr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 eco pp mustang
so i think i'm out...carmax offer was 28k :curse: we're almost 13k apart at this point...i can wrap my car in orange fer 5k (or paint it fer a little more) and i think ima have as much fun in my hpp... @XFactor7889 we may wanna talk about wheels before east coast gets snowed in

OP
OP
XFactor7889

XFactor7889

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
so i think i'm out...carmax offer was 28k :curse: we're almost 13k apart at this point...i can wrap my car in orange fer 5k (or paint it fer a little more) and i think ima have as much fun in my hpp... @XFactor7889 we may wanna talk about wheels before east coast gets snowed in
Dang, that's annoying. Sorry to hear that. But, I bet you're right. If my EB were an HPP I'm not sure a GT would've even been on my radar right now. The HPP is awesome.

I'll send you a PM to talk about the wheels!
Sponsored