Sponsored

Ecoboost to GT Regrets? Tips/Suggestions?

OP
OP
XFactor7889

XFactor7889

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Performance Package
I don't see any reason anyone would regret going from an Ecoboost to a 5.0.. besides gas mileage maybe, but why buy a Mustang if you're worried about that... get the GT and never look back.
Gas mileage would certainly be a factor I suppose. But, I'm fortunate enough to be in a field that, since the last few years, I spend most of my days working remotely. So most of my driving is more for fun now, rather than commuting to and from work everyday (this is why my Ecoboost has such low mileage btw). I also just moved to NC in August and this is the furthest South I've ever lived. I'm pretty excited about the fact that I won't have to garage a V8 car for several months in the winter now, which is what I did with the Mach 1 I had while living in IN.
Sponsored

TrackMustang

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
That's Latin darling, evidently mister AvalancheSVT is an educated man. How I really hate him.
Click his name and then click the little ignore button that pops up. Makes your forum experience much better.

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT Premium PP1, 10 Auto Grabber Blue
If you are worried a lot about gas mileage, I wouldn't worry. I have had my 22 PP GT for a little over 3 months and 3k miles and I have averaged a little over 20 MPG. That's not too bad if you ask me. I have made several 200 plus mile trips and the display shows 25 regularly but when I combine stop and go it goes down a bit. Burning premium is the main cost concern however I would probably burn premium in the EB if I had one. My Mustang isn't my daily however, I only drive for fun and trips across state lines to visit family. I drive 1000 miles a week for my job, if i had to drive the Mustang I would strongly reconsider that one LOL...

OP
OP
XFactor7889

XFactor7889

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
If you are worried a lot about gas mileage, I wouldn't worry. I have had my 22 PP GT for a little over 3 months and 3k miles and I have averaged a little over 20 MPG. That's not too bad if you ask me. I have made several 200 plus mile trips and the display shows 25 regularly but when I combine stop and go it goes down a bit. Burning premium is the main cost concern however I would probably burn premium in the EB if I had one. My Mustang isn't my daily however, I only drive for fun and trips across state lines to visit family. I drive 1000 miles a week for my job, if i had to drive the Mustang I would strongly reconsider that one LOL...
While it's certainly a consideration, I am fortunate to be in a position where fuel efficiency is not the priority. At the moment, I'm prioritizing smiles per gallon over miles per gallon. And yea, I've been putting premium exclusively in my EB since I got it, so I'm used to that already. I think if I had to drive 1k miles per week for work I'd strongly reconsider where I work before reconsidering the Mustang :cwl:

Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
While it's certainly a consideration, I am fortunate to be in a position where fuel efficiency is not the priority. At the moment, I'm prioritizing smiles per gallon over miles per gallon. And yea, I've been putting premium exclusively in my EB since I got it, so I'm used to that already. I think if I had to drive 1k miles per week for work I'd strongly reconsider where I work before reconsidering the Mustang :cwl:
So purchased my EB back in 2015. Absolutely loved it. Used it as a daily for trouble free 51k miles. When I moved to Myrtle Beach I decided I needed one more Ford V8 in my life. Waited for the Bullitt in 2018 but no auto option so bought my GT/CS in 2019.

Regrets? Yeah should have done it sooner. There is nothing like the sound of a Coyote. Do it and don’t look back. :like:

OP
OP
XFactor7889

XFactor7889

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
So purchased my EB back in 2015. Absolutely loved it. Used it as a daily for trouble free 51k miles. When I moved to Myrtle Beach I decided I needed one more Ford V8 in my life. Waited for the Bullitt in 2018 but no auto option so bought my GT/CS in 2019.

Regrets? Yeah should have done it sooner. There is nothing like the sound of a Coyote. Do it and don’t look back. :like:
Appreciate your take! I'll admit, I actually already emailed the dealer with my spec sheet and I anticipate they will be sending me the PO for my deposit today. Just thought I'd check with others as one final consideration before I commit in case anyone out there has had an experience that could convince me to back off. Seeing experiences like yours are reassuring for sure.

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT Premium PP1, 10 Auto Grabber Blue
Tru about the reconsider. I used to drive much less but a promotion in a 20 plus year career keeps me around. I have a much more efficient daily driver for sure. I am blessed to be able to afford both, the company reimburses me most of my work vehicle expenses too.

OP
OP
XFactor7889

XFactor7889

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Tru about the reconsider. I used to drive much less but a promotion in a 20 plus year career keeps me around. I have a much more efficient daily driver for sure. I am blessed to be able to afford both, the company reimburses me most of my work vehicle expenses too.
Well that certainly helps and definitely makes sense!

Be sure you're taking care of yourself, though! There are a lot of studies out there that have linked long commutes to work with negative effects on people's health.

Sponsored
OP
OP
XFactor7889

XFactor7889

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
The only regret you will have will be the idea of “why the fuck did i kept a 4 cyl mustang instead of the V8 for this long…”
Ha maybe. But I've genuinely enjoyed having it. Considering I had the Mach 1 for as long as I did before getting it, having a 4 cylinder Mustang that could produce comparable power to that while also getting better MPGs and looking cool has been great. And certainly at the time I got it, it was easily the best value when looking at the turbo-4 segment. So, it made a lot of sense for me. I'd be lying if I suggested it has kept my itch for another V8 in check though.

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 GT vert A10 / 23 Mach 1 A10 / 23 Mach 1 Tremec
Guess I should be more precise and say heavy modding*

Going into specifics, you'll have to ask someone who knows their stuff. From my understanding it is getting into the files to alter them for tuning. 21' and under model years are wide open to modify the ECU, anything from 22' and up doesn't possibly run the same due to Ford making it increasingly harder to get access to the ECU to modify. Less access to calibration, making it harder and harder with every model year to modify and dial in perfectly with every application.

If I'm wrong, someone please correct me. It started on the '22 and up models. Some of the speculation is if you get the '24+ S650, it will be un-tunable for quite a long time.
I believe you may be correct about the ‘24 MY cars, although there does seem to be a bit of a rush to pronounce them untunable a year before they’re even on the ground. Time will tell.

As concerns the ‘22s, I’d say not so much. If any real evidence has popped up on this forum that Ford has put the ‘22 ECU on lockdown I guess I’ve missed it. Yes, Ford is claiming a 10 hp diminishment but it seems to be easy to get it back if one finds it necessary. Already Roush and FP have announced FI kits for the ‘22s, which I’d call “heavy modding”. And FP says they’ll have the ‘22 calibration kit on the market no later than the first of the year.

Thing is though, the ‘22s may not need immediate tuning attention in the first place. Yes, the reports are anecdotal but more than a handful of ‘22 GT owners are reporting that these cars are very strong runners in the first place. I know mine is, and no, I don’t know why.

I think it might be a trifle early to erect a headstone over the ’22s.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
The only regret you will have will be the idea of “why the fuck did i kept a 4 cyl mustang instead of the V8 for this long…”
Regrets from a 4 banger to arguably the best modern, high volume v8 made?LMAO come on now.
Can both of you please grow up? :giggle: :like: There is absolutely nothing wrong with an Ecoboost Mustang. They are great cars especially the newer HPP/HP versions. Not everyone wants or needs a V8. That said, I grew up on American muscle and wanted and needed another V8 in my lifetime. The sound is intoxicating whether I'm blasting down a country road or at a stoplight.

OP has already made up his mind (in the right direction I will say), but for anyone else you need to drive it. If it doesn't bring the biggest smile on your face then maybe you could pass.
Sponsored