Sponsored

Ecoboost mustang vs competition

magnetticmadness

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt premium OW 10spd
So, unfortunately, I don't have my gt anymore but Mustangs are still on my radar. I can't afford a gt. They are truly pretty expensive here and I drive ALOT and having the gt was terrible on gas lol. I've heard nothing but good things about the EcoBoost mustang but 1.) is it something that actually has active support in the aftermarket for tunning and what not? Most people usually resort to support for the v8's and when I had an Ecoboost when it came out there was literally nothing lol. 2.) I am curious if there is anyone here who has switched from a gt or a v6 to an EcoBoost and liked it better? I feel like no one switches from a v8 to a 4 banger but with the price of gas and insurance, I feel like someone has lol. Anyway, I am really just looking for some advice about it. Also last question--2018 or 15-17? I love them both and they both have pros and cons so input on that would be nice as well!
Sponsored

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
There’s a lot of support for the eco boost Mustangs and engine platform in general. The engine is very similar to the Focus RS 2.3 and a lot of tuning was developed with the launch of that car.

It’s a good engine and has good potential. If long term you are concerned about power, solid numbers are a turbo swap and supporting parts away.

I believe the 18’s got a power bump but aside from the exterior styling I don’t believe there were major changes, other than the transmission options for the 10 speed auto.

OP
OP

magnetticmadness

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt premium OW 10spd
Thanks for your reply. I really think the ecoboost is underrated and alot of people think "Ricer." lol

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Thanks for your reply. I really think the ecoboost is underrated and alot of people think "Ricer." lol
No problem. Far from a ricer car unless of course you make it such, lol. Biggest thing to overcome is a small displacement engine in a Mustang. But it is a good platform and is a pretty stout engine.

Here’s some inspiration for you:

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
If your worried about big power. Don't start with a tiny engine. But if your looking for good power on the cheap. A tuned EB is a heck of a car.

Sponsored

Bear376

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2019 EB, 2013 Mustang, 2017 F150SC, 2019 Flex
Vehicle Showcase
I love a V8, but honesty makes me accept that 95% of my driving is better served by an Ecoboost. And with three modifications, it has been shown to get a substantial power boost.

Vonroll

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang, PP, Manual. Prior Mustangs 68 Notchback 302, 69 Fastback GT 351, Capri RS-5.0
I love my 2018 PP. Would I love a GT? Sure. However, I also have a big commute. I figure I'm getting about 80% of the fun of a GT for about 66% of the price. YMMV

zhent

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
There's lots of aftermarket support for the Ecoboost Mustang, both in parts and tuning. My 2017 EB PP is my first Mustang, so I can't comment on anyone going from GT to Eco. I see a lot of folks going the other way though. I recommend before buying one, drive them both to make sure you're getting what you want/need. As for 15-17 vs. 18+ that's all about personal preference. The 18+ styling is growing on me, but I still prefer the look of my '17.

as always YMMV...

Darkstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1 Oxford White.
I really like my 15 Ecoboost, especially after getting tuned. There's a lot to like about them but they will never sound like a V8 and if the sound and feel of V8 is an important part of the experience and the fun, then you won't be entirely happy with it. There is way more tuning choices for the 15-17 than the 18's but the 10 speed is a helluva transmission.

TripleB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Snack Pack- Whipple Stage 2
You need to get your v8 ecoboosted. That’s the only ecoboost you should be looking at

Sponsored

Maggneto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Premium PP/Navi/ZF(6R80) Shaker Pro
If you are concerned about finances stick with a stock Ecoboost, preferrebly with an extended warranty if used.

The early 2015 Valencia Mustangs (Auto with PP) are very quick stock. There has been some chatter suggesting that the Valencia Mustangs have a more agressive factory tune than Cleveland and testing shows 2015 are much quicker than 16-17 and nearly as quick as the 18.

Valenlcia Mustangs 0-60 (5.2) vs Cleveland 16/17 0-60 (5.6-6+).

The 18's with more torque and the 10A is only 2 seconds faster to 60 than a Valencia 6A.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Anything you can do to a 2015-2019 GT can be done to an EB, the aftermarket is wide open for both platforms. Anything done to a GT (exterior, interior, transmission, rear, suspension, wheels, exhaust, etc) is available and can be done to an EB...

If you’re going for an EB platform and can afford it, definitely get the EB w/Perf Pack, it’s well worth the cost difference.

As far as “tuners”, the same Big Name tuners that offer tunes for GTs also have EB tuning support, so again, the aftermarket support is no different.

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
If you are concerned about finances stick with a stock Ecoboost, preferrebly with an extended warranty if used.

The early 2015 Valencia Mustangs (Auto with PP) are very quick stock. There has been some chatter suggesting that the Valencia Mustangs have a more agressive factory tune than Cleveland and testing shows 2015 are much quicker than 16-17 and nearly as quick as the 18.

The 18's with more torque and the 10A is only 2 seconds faster to 60 than a Valencia 6A.

Oh man that’s like the Windsor/Romeo debate for 2v Mustangs. Windsor was a little stronger 8 bolt crank, some hardware and cam style differences made for a similar debate, related to holding up under big power numbers (mid 400 rwhp in those days). I love tidbits of knowledge like that.

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
Ford racing makes a set of cams for the 2.3 EB and they say they are specifically for the mustang. Livernois has turbo upgrades and just about everyone has tunes for them.

If you really want to push one, you can have the head ported, built bottom end, bigger turbo, cams and a E-85 tune and could embarrass a stock GT

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.

Sources? The only thing I ever heard about the 15s are they are more likely to break. Id think a tuned 18+ auto would be the ticket.
Sponsored