Ecoboost in GT territory with 3 simple mods

opensesame

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Oxford Ecobeast with PP
Upgrading to third party cat-back exhaust, average gains 20 HP/47 TQ, average price $1300
Cold Air Intake, average gains, 13 HP, 25 TQ, average price $399
Custom Tune, average gains, 20 HP, 75 TQ, average price $399

Final overall performance: 363 HP, 467 TQ
Total price parts, approx: $2099
Total cost labor approx $200-400

At lot cheaper than $7000 for GT.

:clap2:
Sponsored

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I'd sacrifice 50hp if it meant I could keep the V8 sound. Been there in the F/I tuning world; there's no way to get that N/A sound no matter how much money you put into it. But nothing beats F/I when it comes to aftermarket performance per your dollar.

Desmo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cadillac Cts
Upgrading to third party cat-back exhaust, average gains 20 HP/47 TQ, average price $1300

I don't know where you take you gains but your estimated numbers are rubbish at best.
1- The part of the exhaust that gains power in the exhaust of a turbo car is usually a cat delete. Catback sometimes if the piping is too small but mostly for weight and sound purpose.
2-Where did you see the gains from an intake on a 2.3 ecoboost stang?

Final overall performance: Gains don't add up the way you make it sound...
It's not 300whp base plus 10whp intake plus 20 whp exhaust= 330whp...sometimes they gain more combined ; sometimes less....

Sponsored

OP
OP

opensesame

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
I don't know where you take you gains but your estimated numbers are rubbish at best.
1- The part of the exhaust that gains power in the exhaust of a turbo car is usually a cat delete. Catback sometimes if the piping is too small but mostly for weight and sound purpose.
2-Where did you see the gains from an intake on a 2.3 ecoboost stang?

Final overall performance: Gains don't add up the way you make it sound...
It's not 300whp base plus 10whp intake plus 20 whp exhaust= 330whp...sometimes they gain more combined ; sometimes less....
While my numbers are not exactly solid proof, its just a educated guess from what third party such as Cobb, Bama, Ford Racing, Magnaflow, JMS etc have tested their products on a Dyno.

The whole point is to show that if you want GT performance, aside for sound, you can come close to it for under $3000, where as if you were to purchase a GT over the Ecoboost there is at least $7000 gap. I'm pretty sure with these 3 mods, the Ecoboost can come close to the GT in quarter times.

stoli

Fat Guy Racing
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
'15 Black GT/PP
Keep in mind that hp/tq gains are not just a sum of the parts, gains in exhaust may offset some of the gains with an intake, etc. The gains are certainly there to be had, but it won't be quite that easy.

As Desmo said, the biggest gains will probably be with a full catless turbo back setup and a custom tune, especially on the bottom end.

I look forward to seeing real turbo upgrades and the day these are indeed faster than a GT.

Tamadrummer88

Finicky
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EcoBoost Premium
Judging from the numbers being released so far from the aftermarket tuning companies, i think with just full cutback exhaust and a 93 octane tune, you'll probably look at a combined gain of 30RWHP and 70RWTQ.

Judging from past mustangs, a CAI would be almost useless as the stock airbox setup is pretty damn good already.

Desmo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cadillac Cts
Judging from the numbers being released so far from the aftermarket tuning companies, i think with just full cutback exhaust and a 93 octane tune, you'll probably look at a combined gain of 30RWHP and 70RWTQ.

Judging from past mustangs, a CAI would be almost useless as the stock airbox setup is pretty damn good already.
For less then a grand you will probably have 350whp and close to 450wtq (a tuner and a catless downpipe) in less then a couple of months.
Thats value.
For me the real fun is to have 450wtq in a streetcar at 3000rpm...make stop and go fun in city driving...Lagal speed street fun. And have 30mpg highway.
A catless downpipe on a turbo car increase your mpg too.

Look at Livernois: 327whp 427wtq with a tune? Are you kidding me?

geokots

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic Mustang EB Premium

Oh no, you didn't. I'm tired of the EB bashing by the V8 or nothing ignorants. It's been quiet lately now you went and did this.
Let sleeping GTs lie.

Sponsored

Brent302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP

Without starting an argument.

HP/TQ does not just add up between mods.

For example
CAI- 20HP
Exhaust- 30HP
Tune- 50HP

You would think that would equate to.
20+30+50= 100HP!! buttttt it doesn't. The parts more or less avg between them

Realistically your looking at probably a total 40 HP gain for my example. I learned this 6 years ago when my mods weren't adding up. Any AM employee can confirm this too. Just look at the most recent GT dyno results. Tune+stock airbox vs tune+CAI. Adding the CAI into the equation only added 10HP/0TQ because they average into each other. Hope this helps.

OP
OP

opensesame

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Without starting an argument.

HP/TQ does not just add up between mods.

For example
CAI- 20HP
Exhaust- 30HP
Tune- 50HP

You would think that would equate to.
20+30+50= 100HP!! buttttt it doesn't. The parts more or less avg between them

Realistically your looking at probably a total 40 HP gain for my example. I learned this 6 years ago when my mods weren't adding up. Any AM employee can confirm this too. Just look at the most recent GT dyno results. Tune+stock airbox vs tune+CAI. Adding the CAI into the equation only added 10HP/0TQ because they average into each other. Hope this helps.
You may be correct, however keep in mind, a dyno on the GT with tune+exhaust+cai will yield less than the EB in terms of gain since its NA, where as Turbo has much more yield. (Specifically Torque)

Ecobeast

GT owner now.
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford mustang GT
A few mods & the -200lbs will make the EB fast. Will it ever be GT fast I don't know, but it still will be one hell of a fun ride.

neodark

Left 4cyl @home
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jorge
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP2
A few mods & the -200lbs will make the EB fast. Will it ever be GT fast I don't know, but it still will be one hell of a fun ride.
I'm in this camp...The V8 is awesome, but the EB has it's place. I'm happy to have one on order. (Still no word on delivery, OG date was today)

JJ@WMS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Mustang
From what we are doing with our EB we are certain to upset quite a few GT owners new and old.

I love the GT's but this little 4 banger is fun to drive, gets better gas mileage and is cheaper to insure.

Thats the big thing with this car that alot of people are forgetting, the market for a fun to drive 4 cylinder Mustang is out there and thats the younger generation that dont want to pay a GT premium or GT insurance.

By this time next year you will see modded EB's making 400hp and 500tq and that will be done with better parts, better tuning and simple bolt on performance parts.

We look forward to serving those EB needs and plan to have our car on top of every "fastest list" around.

:headbang::headbang:

JJ
Sponsored