Ecoboost filter directly on turbo?

Table Lamp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lamp
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Ecoboost
Quick question this is really a weird subject but would it even be possible to put just a K&N filter directly on the turbo and what would happen with your ecoboost would it even crank up and can you even drive with it on there?
Sponsored

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
You'd be eliminating the MAS and the car won't run without it.
Also, even if it would, you'd be pulling hot air from the engine compartment which wouldn't help at all.

SnowFox

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Grabber
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT, 2017 ECOboost, Saleen S351
you cant do it. physically it can be done sure. So its more you shouldn't do it. I know some turbo turbo builds out there do it. But its unrealistic on this platform

Rod Schneider

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rod
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EcoBoost
You'd be eliminating the MAS and the car won't run without it.
Also, even if it would, you'd be pulling hot air from the engine compartment which wouldn't help at all.
The ecoboost doesn't have a Mass Airflow Sensor, just a temperature sensor for the inlet. It will start and run with the air cleaner duct removed from the turbo.......

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
The ecoboost doesn't have a Mass Airflow Sensor, just a temperature sensor for the inlet. It will start and run with the air cleaner duct removed from the turbo.......
Really? How does it determine air flow then?

Sponsored

Buldawg76

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Ecoboost, Rapid Red Premium
It is a speed density system that use IAT, MAP, RPM, TPS to determine fuel and spark timing.

BD

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
It is a speed density system that use IAT, MAP, RPM, TPS to determine fuel and spark timing.

BD
Thanks for that info. I did a bit of research on speed density tuning and it seems it relies primarily on the MAP and IAT to calculate the air density in the intake. I know that is an extremely simplistic take. But if the IAT is giving skewed readings it's got to adversely affect how the engine runs.
So, while it might run with the filter directly on the turbo I can't imagine it would be good for it.

Buldawg76

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for that info. I did a bit of research on speed density tuning and it seems it relies primarily on the MAP and IAT to calculate the air density in the intake. I know that is an extremely simplistic take. But if the IAT is giving skewed readings it's got to adversely affect how the engine runs.
So, while it might run with the filter directly on the turbo I can't imagine it would be good for it.
Yes, even just the 4 sensors I listed is being simplistic, it uses far more inputs than those to map the tuning for our motors for sure. You are correct that if the IAT is reading much higher than ambient temp it will skew the tuning map table being utilized by the PCM.

So, with filter directly on turbo inlet and IAT not in fresh intake air stream flow but rather under hood high temps it will not run well and possibly cause damage as well.

BD

robvas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Plenty of centrifugal guys run a filter directly on the blower or a turbo guard. It's just fine. Doesn't slow them down at the track.

Sponsored

Buldawg76

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
What does the TPS report?
TPS reports the desired throttle position requested by the drivers foot and the actual throttle position of the electronically controlled throttle body. In today's electronically controlled throttles you will never get too full WOT, best you will ever get is about 90% plus or minus a few %.

Before fly by wire (electronic) it just reported the actual throttle position of the throttle blade that the driver was commanding with their right foot.

BD

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Plenty of centrifugal guys run a filter directly on the blower or a turbo guard. It's just fine. Doesn't slow them down at the track.
Yes, but that's a very specific application and I'm sure the tune is designed for that. Quite a bit of difference from removing the intake plumbing and dislocating the IAT on a stock car.
The OP never said anything about any other mods. To me the implication was simply remove everything and plug a filter onto the turbo. If there are other things done or planned, they weren't stated.

5550snotamerc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
s550 eco convertible auto
TPS reports the desired throttle position requested by the drivers foot and the actual throttle position of the electronically controlled throttle body. In today's electronically controlled throttles you will never get too full WOT, best you will ever get is about 90% plus or minus a few %.

Before fly by wire (electronic) it just reported the actual throttle position of the throttle blade that the driver was commanding with their right foot.

BD
Thanks. I should have known that but I had TPM stuck in my head b/c one of my other cars has a problem with it. And I wanted to make the Office Space joke.