Sponsored

Primer on Ford EcoBoost Turbo Engine Lineup

OKCfan

Hmm, why not? Hatchbacks were part of the line up through the Fox body. Maybe with the beefed up current looks it may look weird, but I'm sure they can slim it down and make it look right.
Ya I know but none of those looked good :(
Sponsored

Mach1

Speaking of hatches, sure looked like a 3 door focus in those clay model pics. And if those fastback pics are of a future model, maybe a stang hatch won't be so far off....

KZStang

FYI I think you would be wrong if you thought a hatchback mustang wouldnt sell. The fox hatch outsold the coupe for over 10 yrs beginning in '81.

groundnpounder

FYI I think you would be wrong if you thought a hatchback mustang wouldnt sell. The fox hatch outsold the coupe for over 10 yrs beginning in '81.
Hatchbacks are viewed by americans as econobox cars. Only budget priced hatchbacks sell well. I love hot hatches but unfortunately most of the US market doesn't so that's why we don't get a lot of the coolest hatchback cars here like the Focus RS

KINGCOBRA

People don't realize that EcoBoost is a marketing machine. It's a means to an end for solving the problem that Ford and other car manufacturers see in the road ahead for gas guzzlers and high displacement engines. It was originally going to called "TwinForce" but they knew that wouldn't get the message across completely. They are trying to change minds here. You can't turn on the TV these days without seeing an EcoBoost commercial. It's replaced Sync as the biggest sub-brand they have and people who think it's just for the Focuses and European spec cars aren't paying attention.

Again, they are trying to change minds as you can see with the hard push into Ecoboost marketing to NASCAR, renaming the Ford Championship Weekend race after EcoBoost. They know how loyal the racing crowd is. And this is where Mustang comes in.

You want to crack open the most staunchly held ideas about small engines = crap performance? The Mustang crowd is THE place. They'll take some baby steps with the 4 banger while calling it a throwback to old SVO days, but they know this is about the future for Mustang, not the past. It's all about generating the same power in smaller displacement engines that is provided by the next larger displacement in the engine lineup. No engine is sacred. It's a numbers game and if they sell, like they are in the F-150, the numbers will dictate what stays and what goes.

Sponsored

DarkAgent10

There wont be anything larger than the ttv6 branded ecoboost. A ttv8 if it ever exists in production wont be ecoboost which would go against the whole "eco" part. It's a much harder sell at that point which makes sense cuz they wont ever mess with the N/A v8.

KZStang

http://www.autonews.com/article/201...witch-gears-tout-trucks-mustang#axzz2TB8wdFYo

Ford is walking a lot of thin lines these days -- a sign of changing times for sure. It used to be JUST a truck and Mustang company but they've done a good job of moving away from that perception by creating some great compact, subcompact, hybrids, cars with great fuel economy, performance and great design.

Ford gave Ecoboost center stage at their NYAIS showcase with all the different EB engines on display. But for 2015 they have both a new F-150 and new Mustang platform coming. The message has to change switch for sure.

HeritageDad

Threads
Reaction score
Engines 3.7 Ecoboost

You didn't mention the 3.7 EcoBoost. I see this engine as the one Ford will want to use in its track ready 2015 Mustang. Lighter weight contributes to better handling. Do you have any info on this engine?

aladams713

RMCS(SS) USN Ret.
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard Metalic 5.0 w/50 year pack
This forum is very helpful info on the Ecoboost engine for a novice like me. Thanks

Papaya

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Holger
Vehicle(s)
F150 2.7 EcoBoost
Gallon gasoline for $12!

Reading through all the writings, I have to say that you guys forgetting something. I am originally from Germany. With gas prices at around $2.40 for 1 liter regular gasoline, we guys in Europe are use to 40hp engines with 6 liters /100 km and max speed of 100 mph on the Autobahn. When I first heart about the 1.0 liter EcoBoost, I thought, finally a car with 60 hp and 5 liters on 100 km. But hey. We are in North America and there is NO market and UNDERSTANDING for a 60 hp car. Engines should be BIG (only read here what guys writing about the 2.3 / V6 vs the V8 engine.) having lots of hp.... Honestly? Who needs a 300hp car to go to work or shopping? Especially in California with it's 55/60 mp/h signs on the highways. In Canada, 110 kph highways (65mph)? Gasoline is not expensive enough that buyers of american cars would look more often to "Eco" engines. If the gallon gas is sold for $12 like in Europe - I am sure here wouldn't be a discussion about the 2.3 EcoBooster Mustang! :amen:

Sponsored

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
Reading through all the writings, I have to say that you guys forgetting something. I am originally from Germany. With gas prices at around $2.40 for 1 liter regular gasoline, we guys in Europe are use to 40hp engines with 6 liters /100 km and max speed of 100 mph on the Autobahn. When I first heart about the 1.0 liter EcoBoost, I thought, finally a car with 60 hp and 5 liters on 100 km. But hey. We are in North America and there is NO market and UNDERSTANDING for a 60 hp car. Engines should be BIG (only read here what guys writing about the 2.3 / V6 vs the V8 engine.) having lots of hp.... Honestly? Who needs a 300hp car to go to work or shopping? Especially in California with it's 55/60 mp/h signs on the highways. In Canada, 110 kph highways (65mph)? Gasoline is not expensive enough that buyers of american cars would look more often to "Eco" engines. If the gallon gas is sold for $12 like in Europe - I am sure here wouldn't be a discussion about the 2.3 EcoBooster Mustang! :amen:

You are absolutely right about how cheap our fuel is and how it determines the kinds of cars we drive. I find it funny when we complain about $4/gallon gas when people are paying more than double that everywhere else in the world.

However, your idea of "needing" 300+ hp in a car is off. We don't need 300+hp, we don't even need a Mustang or hell we don't need a car at all. We could take public transportation or even WALK to where we need to go. But nobody here WANTS to do that. We WANT a Mustang with over 300+hp that is stylish and fun to drive. It's this desire that created the huge fan base that has made the Mustang so great and the entire reason you are here on this forum.

Papaya

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Holger
Vehicle(s)
F150 2.7 EcoBoost
EcoBooster the ECO way?

You are absolutely right about how cheap our fuel is and how it determines the kinds of cars we drive. I find it funny when we complain about $4/gallon gas when people are paying more than double that everywhere else in the world.

However, your idea of "needing" 300+ hp in a car is off. We don't need 300+hp, we don't even need a Mustang or hell we don't need a car at all. We could take public transportation or even WALK to where we need to go. But nobody here WANTS to do that. We WANT a Mustang with over 300+hp that is stylish and fun to drive. It's this desire that created the huge fan base that has made the Mustang so great and the entire reason you are here on this forum.
You are right! But I wrote this after I read KINGCOBRA's post. EcoBooster is not a "marketing machine" at all. I am sure that around 80% of all car owners in the world are driving cars they do not use a 5.0 to 10."what ever" engines. Because of the gas prices. The other 20% are in North America and the Middle East with a gas price far under the gas prices of the normal market.
If I could use public transit where I live? Living only 30 miles away from Edmonton with absolutely no public transit from and to Edmonton? No I can't.

Don't get me wrong. I like to drive a car where I don't have to look anymore if a baby seat is fitting in or the other kids I saw growing up. No station wagon (Ford Taunus/Mondeo) or VW Micro Van (Yep! 2.5 CR diesel with 78hp) No expensive Chrysler Caravan (German prices) anymore.

Got a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee with a V6 Pentastar engine for my wife, also the sales guy pushed me in the sales chat more to the 5.7 HEMI... "NO THANKS!" (Scares me to death only looking at the badge: 5.7 HEMI :shocked: )

Ford is going the right way, I think. Still waiting for the Ford Mustang what gets the trunk full of batteries like the TESLA cars. But I am sure that I am then to old for this cars or it is out of my financial "reach".

I hope I am not scaring away you guys with thoughts to the "Eco"-Booster. And no! I thought to get a Ford Electro car - but at 40 degree Celsius minus - the car would be frozen like an ice cube!
And if I still could use my left hand and arm after my work related accident, I would still drive my S197 convertible with manual transmission. Because I have to get an AT - I did order a 2.3 EBP with I think everything an "old" guy has to have. :thumbsup: (My dealer made me this weekend an really good offer to get also the PP for it - $2,500 minus the 66W. On Monday morning he is calling Ford if we can still add the PP)
:threadjacked:

Renner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT SOLD-2015 Ecoboost SOLD
You are also forgetting the free education and healthcare you get in Germany also :thumbsup:
Sponsored