E85 tune

qtrmiler2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
greg
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt pp1
Anyone using a e85 vmp tune on a na car.If so what was the results.18 mustang and up please.Thanks
Sponsored

Mach1soldier

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2020 f150 EB
Curious as well. They told me 20 horsepower was the norm.

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
If nothing else, the burn is much cleaner, which means no carbon buildup on the tops of the pistons and a healthier/happier engine. Of course with a full bolt on car, the hp gains will be more than 20.

Last edited:

Carlitos

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carlitos
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT
So if E-85 burns so much more cleaner than gasoline, why isn't it more readily more available in our gas stations?

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
So if E-85 burns so much more cleaner than gasoline, why isn't it more readily more available in our gas stations?
I donā€™t know for sure, but I heard the pumping setups are very expensive and a lot of gas stations donā€™t want to invest in setting their stations up for it.

Sponsored

TnWHTMARE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang 5.0
Vehicle Showcase

Partially because E-85 does not have the same energy compared to an equivalent amount of gasoline. Smarter folk can give you the stats on that. Therefore fuel economy suffers because its takes more E to do the work of gas. In general, Less fuel economy doesn't sell well with manufacturers.

andrewtac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mark
Vehicle(s)
F250. 2020 GT 400A
Partially because E-85 does not have the same energy compared to an equivalent amount of gasoline. Smarter folk can give you the stats on that. Therefore fuel economy suffers because its takes more E to do the work of gas. In general, Less fuel economy doesn't sell well with manufacturers.
I think it takes about 20% more E85 (less energy density) than gas to make the same power, which means fuel economy suffers. I don't think it could take over for gas unless it was 20% cheaper (which it isn't), also because it requires 20% more fuel there are more by products from combustion (CO2). So in some ways it doesn't make anyone happy (those wanting cheaper and those wanting greener). Anyways, I don't think the demand ever occured like many wanted. Little demand makes it hard for gas stations which have fairly low margins to begin with. I run it in my Mustang and I am very greatful for it as I think it's octane is 110 equivalent (works great with high compression boosted applications.

BEERCHAMP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
So can you put E85 in your tank without any tunes? Just stock ?
Can you mix it with 91 Octane, or are you supposed to run tank as dry as you can get then fill with e85? I know you get worse mpg, but gas fillups don't bother me, it's only a weekend fun car.

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
So can you put E85 in your tank without any tunes? Just stock ?
Can you mix it with 91 Octane, or are you supposed to run tank as dry as you can get then fill with e85? I know you get worse mpg, but gas fillups don't bother me, it's only a weekend fun car.
Yes you can run it without a tune and pick up a little bit of power too. Have a look here. A Flex tune allows you to run any combination of pump gas and E85.

TnWHTMARE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang 5.0
Vehicle Showcase
No, you cannot run E85 without a tune. You will run dangerously lean. The aforementioned flex tune (from Lund) is really suppose to be a transition tune from gas to E and vice-versa. Although you can run it regularly if you want. Ultimately, the flex tune is also a transition tune to the R tune.

Last edited:

Sponsored

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
No, you cannot run E85 without a tune.
According to Lund Racing tuner Alejandro Flores you can. He says thatā€™s exactly what he did in his video above and ended up with E50+ ethanol when combined with pump gas and actually shaved off a couple of tenths in his 1/4 mile draggy test. There are even others on here, who have reported that they run E30 in their cars. Having said that, I would recommend a Flex tune to maximize any gains to be had from running E85.

TnWHTMARE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang 5.0
Vehicle Showcase
According to Lund Racing tuner Alejandro Flores you can. He says thatā€™s exactly what he did in his video above and ended up with E50+ ethanol when combined with pump gas and actually shaved off a couple of tenths in his 1/4 mile draggy test. There are even others on here, who have reported that they run E30 in their cars. Having said that, I would recommend a Flex tune to maximize any gains to be had from running E85.
I'm always open to being wrong and learning. That being said, I am Lund tuned (second car tuned by Lund), I run E85 consistently and I follow Alex regularly. I think there is 1 major variable here to what is going on with this truck. It is a flex truck from Ford. It has Flex logic from the factory. Notice the yellow ring around the filler neck. Thats why he can run on a "stock" tune. Right after he puts E in the tank he immediately watches for the learn flag to 0. And he says those very words. "So now you guys know how flex fuel works".

Context is very important here. Mustang doesn't come with flex logic, it must be tuned in. Some trucks come with that. I have never seen them put E on a stock tune Mustang nor have I ever heard from them or anyone that you can put E on a stock tune Mustang. From what little knowledge I have, without flex logic/tune, you cannot safely run E85.

And I'm guessing at your context here but in one of your previous posts, you even said "a flex tune".

Last edited:

TGYNYY

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
You absolutely cannot run e85 on a mustang without a tune. Lund will give you a flex fuel for the transition period, and an e85 tune for after you burn off all the 91-93 thatā€™s in your tank. Gen 2 requires higher pound injectors, gen 3 is good to go with all stock fuel components

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I'm always open to being wrong and learning. That being said, I am Lund tuned (second car tuned by Lund), I run E85 consistently and I follow Alex regularly. I think there is 1 major variable here to what is going on with this truck. It is a flex truck from Ford. It has Flex logic from the factory. Notice the yellow ring around the filler neck. Thats why he can run on a "stock" tune. Right after he puts E in the tank he immediately watches for the learn flag to 0. And he says those very words. "So now you guys know how flex fuel works".

Context is very important here. Mustang doesn't come with flex logic, it must be tuned in. Some trucks come with that. I have never seen them put E on a stock tune Mustang nor have I ever heard from them or anyone that you can put E on a stock tune Mustang. From what little knowledge I have, without flex logic/tune, you cannot safely run E85.

And I'm guessing at your context here but in one of your previous posts, you even said "a flex tune".
I wouldnā€™t do it on my car. I was just pointing out that some have done it successfully (mixed a few gallons of E85 with pump as). For those that do, I would never suggest putting in more than a few gallons. I too am Lund tuned on pump gas, Flex, E85R and nitrous and believe in leaving the tuning to the pros. I just pay to play. My car lives on the Flex tune 98% of the time.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/e85-without-a-tune.155473/

TnWHTMARE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang 5.0
Vehicle Showcase
I wouldnā€™t do it on my car. I was just pointing out that some have done it successfully (mixed a few gallons of E85 with pump as). For those that do, I would never suggest putting in more than a few gallons. I too am Lund tuned on pump gas, Flex, E85R and nitrous and believe in leaving the tuning to the pros. I just pay to play. My car lives on the Flex tune 98% of the time.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/e85-without-a-tune.155473/
I see what you are saying about low dilution ratios. Although I'm not sure what Lund would say about that(or what they technically could say :) I dont know what the actual data is (both tune and power) on low level E dilution is, or how beneficial it actually is without a tune. I think the danger here is how "run E85" is defined. You can imagine that this throws it into a big sea of variables. Some people put 3 gallons on top of 13 and some would put 4 gallons on top of 4 gallons of gas. There is just a LARGE window of improper low level dilution possibilities which means if people dont educate themselves, it leaves open the possibility of engine damage.....IF there are truly any appreciable documentable advantage.
Sponsored

Last edited: