DSS 2000hp Half Shaft Blown Boot?

18 Smoke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang GT PP1 400a
I had my DSS ones supposedly fixed by them as well but sold them before reinstalling, lol. Not once but twice, so I had enough. Went with the Gforce but waiting on shipping. Supposedly next week they will be shipped. My passenger side leaked so bad I was getting oil on the back of my car as well as underneath.
Same here. F ing grease everywhere. Nut destroyed threads, etc. If I have any more issues, I’ll get the GForce
Sponsored

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
Mine are rock solid so far, even eliminated the last bit of wheel hop at the track. Stockers must twist and unload contributing to wheel hop. Stillspun 1st and 2nd, but no hop.

turnswrench

turnswrench
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bowman
Vehicle(s)
F-150, WK SRT
I have one drive in on my rebuilt ones. Today will be the second. I'll inspect them over the weekend.

OP
OP
zrwhat

zrwhat

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Working on replacing boots today. Anybody know what the thin wire ring is and where it goes on the inner joint? Feels like a piece of hanger wire and was loose inside the boot when I pulled them apart. Not sure if this is supposed to retain the inner axle to the shaft? Thanks for the help! View attachment 428666
BC445E99-6B74-4427-B202-5C14BBA43AA4.jpeg

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0

asylum938

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang GT
Working on replacing boots today. Anybody know what the thin wire ring is and where it goes on the inner joint? Feels like a piece of hanger wire and was loose inside the boot when I pulled them apart. Not sure if this is supposed to retain the inner axle to the shaft? Thanks for the help! View attachment 428666
BC445E99-6B74-4427-B202-5C14BBA43AA4.jpeg
The Thin wire sits inside the large housing. reach inside and you will feel a lip where the snap ring falls into place.

your's looks to be bent and will not properly seat, I would suggest sourcing a new ring.

Sponsored

OP
OP
zrwhat

zrwhat

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
DSS just said to bend it back round and re-install which I did. I believe it's only there to keep the cage/race/balls from traveling beyond the housing during assembly/removal?

Last edited:

ponie1992

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red PP GT
Adding to this thread cause I've been dealing with this issue for weeks. Mine leaked from day one. First, DSS said the clamps were too narrow and sent me wider clamps. Changed them out and they still leak. During the clamp replacement process, I noticed it is very easy to lift the edge of the boot off of the CV. It really shouldn't be that easy. The boots should be pretty snug to begin with, but they are a very loose fit. After a couple more weeks of trying to get a resolution, they sent me two new boots, clamps and grease and states that they would work better. After inspecting the new boots, I noticed they are the same part number as what's already on my axles. How in the hell are they gonna fix the problem when they are the exact same boot. This was this past Friday. Emailed DSS again and the response this morning was those are the boots we put on all our level 6 axles. No shit! I emailed back saying I don't understand how the same boot is gonna fix the problem. No response back from them yet.
Attached is a pic of one of mine. Notice how the grease is leaking from under the boot because the boot is bunching up around the clamp buckle area. This tells me the boot is too large of diameter. No way it should bunch up like that if it were the correct size.
20200204_180217.jpg

turnswrench

turnswrench
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bowman
Vehicle(s)
F-150, WK SRT
Adding to this thread cause I've been dealing with this issue for weeks.
:angry: Ever since I got mine back from them rebuilt, I have had zero issues. Tell them you want them to pay for return shipping for them to reboot them.

ponie1992

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red PP GT
:angry: Ever since I got mine back from them rebuilt, I have had zero issues. Tell them you want them to pay for return shipping for them to reboot them.
They have offered to fix them and email me a return label. I just don't really have the time to tear the car back down and have the car sitting. I may have no choice though. Sucks cause I'm trying to build the car, break in the trans and be ready for a race next month. Sucks for sure.

Sponsored

drive_55_not

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Coyote, S197 3v, 2018 Gen3 [RIP], 2020 Challenger 'Cat

True,, Even though they're local to me,, No way in Hell I'll ever buy anything from DSS again ...

I had them build me a custom DS when I installed a T56 in my old 3V and that thing vibrated so freakin' bad even at low rpm it was UN-drivable, They sed there was nothing wrong with it ... MMMMM-Kay... I took it to a 4x4 shop down in South Carolina and had the CV replaced with a slip joint and $250 later the problem was solved.

I dunno if DSS is trolling forums anymore but Frank if you're around,, Blow Me ...

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
Same here. After I rebuilt the split boots with aftermarket(sourced my own) clamps they were trouble free. Still sitting around in my garage from selling the car. Maybe one of these days I'll get around to selling them...

ponie1992

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red PP GT
Same here. After I rebuilt the split boots with aftermarket(sourced my own) clamps they were trouble free. Still sitting around in my garage from selling the car. Maybe one of these days I'll get around to selling them...
What clamps did you use?

ponie1992

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red PP GT