DSS 2000hp Half Shaft Blown Boot?

zrwhat

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Installed a set of DSS's new design 2000hp half shafts to try and eliminate the half shaft/hub noises I've been fighting. Install went good and put maybe 50 highway miles on them with very little noise. Still having some noise that sounds more like either the Viking shocks or the stock mounts I ordered a set of BMR's shock mounts. Put the driver side on last night and just pulled the passenger side tire off to complete that side and my entire wheel well and inside of the rim is covered in grease. I believe I read somewhere that others have had the same problem with the DSS boots? It looks like it is leaking at the parting line of the rubber seal. Of course tomorrow is a local Parade/Cruise that my Daughter was looking forward to:thumbsdown:
image1.jpeg
image2.jpeg
image3.jpeg
Sponsored

18 Smoke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang GT PP1 400a
Mine is doing it too! Not nearly as bad, but there are small amounts of grease on the inside of my passenger side wheel every time I take it off

Tricky Dickey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
This is not what I’m wanting to see. I have a new set of these just waiting to be installed. 3rd I’ve seen recently.

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve found DSS to be 50/50 on their customer service/product.
Allow me to explain...
Bought a set of 800hp axles. One of the supplied nuts destroyed the thread on the end of the shaft. DSS supplied the new part, including freight to Australia, free of charge. Great. Can’t ask for more than that.
After nearly twelve months of use, one of them developed a clicking noise. I emailed, they agreed that it was faulty and sent an entire bar assembly with CV’s, no spindles.
Again, I was happy.
More recently, I killed one of the CVs at the drag strip. Broke the centre star into about 6 pieces.
Emailed DSS to ask what brand of CV’s they’re using so I can avoid them in future with no response.
Emailed again, phrased it differently, no response.
Bought some GKN Porsche 930 CV joints and now waiting for them to arrive.
It seems to me that someone somewhere forgot to harden the CV’s properly.
Pic of clicky/faulty CV below.
As far as the boots leaking goes, you can get a tool from eBay for next to nothing, as well as suitable bands.
I’ll probably do a spiel on it once I’m in the process of rebuilding my axle/s
Cheers
D27AEF1B-9F69-415E-83F9-01B74E446D9E.jpeg
38FC7B66-415D-424A-ABB3-8361E1582C05.jpeg

Sponsored

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I’m trying to make sense of your pic. What’s going on in the section circled?
Is that the head of one of the bolts?
The 2000hp shaft uses a different CV to the 800hp so I’m not familiar with how they do it.
Also, with that much grease getting out (and potentially grit getting IN) I’d be shocked if that CV joint is any good at this point.

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
Your pic is exactly where mine ruptured both halfshafts on the outer boot. 20 miles after install.....

309B5E29-900B-40B6-82B8-A739657754D4.jpeg
07D1CB2B-6CF1-4E40-AD24-478E1489AD01.jpeg
C27FC06F-A0FB-4284-99EF-7DCF36F083FE.jpeg

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
Heard from @beefcake this morning DSS is sending out new boots, and grease. Hopefully the boltless design is easy to get the cv off the shaft to get new boots on. Kinda cheesy to send out parts to have to fix it instead of replacements on defective parts with 20 miles on them after install. But that's DSS, terry has been awesome doing what he can.

turnswrench

turnswrench
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bowman
Vehicle(s)
F-150, WK SRT
One of mine is now doing the same thing. Emailed Terry for help. So disappointing.

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Heard from @beefcake this morning DSS is sending out new boots, and grease. Hopefully the boltless design is easy to get the cv off the shaft to get new boots on. Kinda cheesy to send out parts to have to fix it instead of replacements on defective parts with 20 miles on them after install. But that's DSS, terry has been awesome doing what he can.
That’s actually really shitty.
On any other part you’d expect them to send a new one and maybe send the old one back.
Surely?

Sponsored
OP
OP
zrwhat

zrwhat

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Same thing here, Terry has been helpful and said the fastest fix would be to do it myself. Guessing either the boots are crap or maybe a sharp edge on the machined housing that's causing the issues. Have never replaced a CV boot before but looks fairly easy. Won't I need a new Axle Nut from DSS as well, the stock nuts appear to be interference/locking nuts?

Tricky Dickey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
What about the bands? Going to have to have the band tool to do it or work drives for the replacement.

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
Same here, was a technician at a dealership years ago and never replaced just the boot. Always replaced the whole halfshaft. I'm sure it's easy and messy but doable, And yes will need the band crimping tool, and new axle nuts as they are supposed to be 1 time use. Although the DSS nut is a staked nut so will be interesting and should be reusable, but see how much it distorts the threads when you remove it and use it again.

OP
OP
zrwhat

zrwhat

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Yep I ordered a set of the band tools too.

18 Smoke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang GT PP1 400a
Same here, was a technician at a dealership years ago and never replaced just the boot. Always replaced the whole halfshaft. I'm sure it's easy and messy but doable, And yes will need the band crimping tool, and new axle nuts as they are supposed to be 1 time use. Although the DSS nut is a staked nut so will be interesting and should be reusable, but see how much it distorts the threads when you remove it and use it again.
I removed the nut on my right side and it took the threads with it! Ridiculous
Sponsored