Driver's Door Hard to close

jsullboy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
I have noticed that I have to give the driver's side door a good push for it to close fully. Anyone else have this problem?
Sponsored

Ctodd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach1
I have noticed that I have to give the driver's side door a good push for it to close fully. Anyone else have this problem?
Nope. Does not close tight with the normal force of the door from a fully open position?

OP
OP
jsullboy

jsullboy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Nope. Does not close tight with the normal force of the door from a fully open position?
I will get the dealer to look at it. But it won't be until April as I need to wait out the winter months. Its interesting that the hardtop lowers and raises the window to make the seal when the door is closed. My convertible did not do that. Logically I would expect the convertible to need to do that. Porsche was the opposite. The cab lowered and raise the window when closing the door but the coupe did not.

Ctodd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach1
I will get the dealer to look at it. But it won't be until April as I need to wait out the winter months. Its interesting that the hardtop lowers and raises the window to make the seal when the door is closed. My convertible did not do that. Logically I would expect the convertible to need to do that. Porsche was the opposite. The cab lowered and raise the window when closing the door but the coupe did not.
Yes, Mustang has mastered the hop-up window seal for a long time. My 13 did it and I don't recall if my 07 did. You might want to youtube the door close issue to see if anyone else has encountered that.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
My driver's door takes slightly more force to close in comparison with my 17 GT. Nothing I see wrong with it other than that.

Sponsored

Kermut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach M5413
I suppose the obvious question here is does it take significantly more effort than the passenger door?

I haven't noticed anything unexpected on my car, but the doors are very heavy, so they both take a good shove to lock

Isj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 BMW M3
I would double check to see if you still have the shipping blocks, I noticed when my car still had them the door would be harder to close, when they were removed the door closes easily.

OP
OP
jsullboy

jsullboy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
I would double check to see if you still have the shipping blocks, I noticed when my car still had them the door would be harder to close, when they were removed the door closes easily.
I checked the passenger side and the shipping blocks are not there. I don't think I went all around thinking that if they took the time to clear one side they would have done both. Good suggestion I will check.

OP
OP
jsullboy

jsullboy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
I suppose the obvious question here is does it take significantly more effort than the passenger door?

I haven't noticed anything unexpected on my car, but the doors are very heavy, so they both take a good shove to lock
The passenger side has never given me an issue. I don't know if I would characterize the difference in force needed to close the driver side as significant. But the normal "muscle memory" force I use to close the door always works on the passenger side but not on the driver side.

Last edited:

illadvised

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian Spilner
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT - 6R80 - Paxton 2200SL
Have you adjusted the windows at all?

I am unfamiliar with convertibles as I have never owned one, but the windows on the coupes should raise and lower when opening/closing the door. Anyone else with a vert s550 able to confirm or deny this is supposed to happen? OP, I understand the passenger side window doesn't go up and down either, but does that door open and close as normal?

Not sure about the verts; but for the coupes, the window needs to be adjusted for the door to have a satisfying pop when opening and closing it. The tilt window adjustment is what makes the door easier or harder to open/close, and it is what provides the seal in weather. You have to take off the whole door panel, and the vapor seal in the door, and there is a bolt in the bottom of the track assembly that you loosen and re-tighten after adjusting tilt. (You are basically adjusting the inboard or outboard tilt of the window.)

The pressure of the tilted window pressing into the gasket is what makes the door pop open or closed. You can make an old worn out door feel like a new Mercedes, or make a stiff door easier to use, fix a water leak etc etc. Dissimilar doors are fixed with this method (drivers side doors get used more frequently and might need adjustment before passenger doors). Sometimes these cars are delivered from the factory a little off, and to get perfection you might need to adjust it yourself. Again, I am not familiar with verts and it might be another issue, but you described a problem I had in my coupe and this is what fixed it

Be weary of dealerships. There are a lot of tabs, clips and screws that can be broken while taking off the door panel. You might get the car back with extra rattles if you let someone else take care of it. It is somewhat expected and considered the price of warranty work imo

Sponsored

Isj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 BMW M3
I checked the passenger side and the shipping blocks are not there. I don't think I went all around thinking that if they took the time to clear one side they would have done both. Good suggestion I will check.
Yeah it's probably a long shot but worth a look. In my case they removed the blocks in the rear but not the fronts.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra

Cobrajet70

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jamie
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach 1 Hp
Vehicle Showcase
It did, but become normal after a month.

JPJr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 HP

TEAsGrabber

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Mustang Mach1
Once seen, can't be unseen.
Noticed this recently...hoping this post can fix it.
Bugging the heck out of me now.
20221106_194847.jpg
Ya....that's a tad off!
Sponsored