Sponsored

Drag modes worth it?

ihc95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10 401A
I would 100% go for the 301A with the larger screen. I use Apple car play all the time and can't imagine not having it now. Also, I would advise against getting a used one, despite the great deals. You don't know if the previous owner broke the car in properly, let it warm up before romping on it, etc. Also, there are great deals to be had on new ones too. I got my fully loaded car for ~$6k off sticker and that was back in April. Try to look for a leftover 2018.
Sponsored

Ed M

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT convertible
safety package aren't big deal for me either.
Does your wife feel the same? For my wife, safety was paramount.

My only advice is test drive, test drive, test drive. There are LOTS of Mustangs on dealer lots with all different levels of options. If you plan on keeping the car for 100+K miles, then get the car that you WANT to keep for 100+K miles. A few $1000 one way or the other wonā€™t make any difference over that time period compared to the enjoyment you will get from driving a car you love.

U00mem9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 GT
For the A10, are the drag and track modes of 301a really a different transmission tune than 300a with the gear selector in ā€˜Sā€™?

If so, is there some way to get those modes via FORScan or similar?

OP
OP

90Notch

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2018 Silver GT PP1 A10
Line lock and launch control are standard equipment on all models. IMO, 301A is worth it. I like Sync and the bigger screen. Like others, I drive in Sport most of the time, so the toggle drive modes are so easy (just wish you could flip back and forth rather than cycling all the way through). Pretty sure active exhaust is a stand alone feature and once again worth every penny unless you just want to make it super loud. Active exhaust with res delete H-pipe is what I'm doing (still waiting to install it though, so I can't comment on sound).
Yeah seems to be the consensus on the 301a. Clips on youtube make me think the active plus H will be good. Will be interested to see how you like it.

301a is not required on the 19's with active exhaust. I ordered my 19 with 300 package & active valve exhaust as well.
This is really tempting but I think the screen will end up tipping the scales to the 301a.

I would 100% go for the 301A with the larger screen. I use Apple car play all the time and can't imagine not having it now. Also, I would advise against getting a used one, despite the great deals. You don't know if the previous owner broke the car in properly, let it warm up before romping on it, etc. Also, there are great deals to be had on new ones too. I got my fully loaded car for ~$6k off sticker and that was back in April. Try to look for a leftover 2018.
Deals like this one make it hard to buy new. Shame it's orange fury, 2018 a10 pp1 301a w/ 5,800 miles for $32k. I bet it could be had for $32k out the door ($30k + ~2k in sales tax and fees). Koons has the same car but new for WOW price of 35,200 + ~1300 in fees = 36,500. So ~38,500 OTD vs ~33,000 = ~5,000 difference in new versus used. Damn near a dollar a mile! I plan to push it and see if it has any problems. I'll be getting a 100k mile plan through flood ford as well. If it breaks, I'll joyride in a loaner and let them put a new motor in it. That could happen whether buying used or new with the 2018s.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/757340899/overview/

https://www.koons.com/new/Ford/2018...ngton-dc-b6f37aa70a0e0a170d4cb7381fb7ab09.htm

Does your wife feel the same? For my wife, safety was paramount.

My only advice is test drive, test drive, test drive. There are LOTS of Mustangs on dealer lots with all different levels of options. If you plan on keeping the car for 100+K miles, then get the car that you WANT to keep for 100+K miles. A few $1000 one way or the other wonā€™t make any difference over that time period compared to the enjoyment you will get from driving a car you love.
Good point. I'm trying my best to not be a cheap ass. It's proving difficult! I've come across a few nice premiums with all the safety stuff and other upgrades. They were decently priced and low miles but I'm not a fan of the wheels. Guess I could sell them and buy some PP wheels.

For the A10, are the drag and track modes of 301a really a different transmission tune than 300a with the gear selector in ā€˜Sā€™?
If so, is there some way to get those modes via FORScan or similar?
Good question. Anyone know? As for the FORScan,I believe you can activate the modes. Search for it on here, I'm pretty sure I read that at some point. The dude swapped out his radio and was able to activate the toggles in the new radio bezel.

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0
I ran really good times in drag mode. I believe it's worth it.

Sponsored

Rjames18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
RJ
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10 Orange Fury
Get a 301a package. I've had two 300a packages and hated the interior. Now that I have a 301a I love the screen, toggle switches, and dont forget the ambient lighting! I also had active exhaust added on to mine which is awesome when I actually have the catback on lol

serpent

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
crash
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
I'd say buy the most car you can afford to pay for. I too plan on putting 100K+ miles on mine. Bought GTP PP1 10A 401A ESP S&S B&O MR AE. Yeah you can buy one for 20K less, but if you can swing the extra $$$ you get a great package that can't be duplicated w/o voiding your warranties. Over the life of ownership a small price to pay for so much fun. Nothing beats track mode thru mexican traffic!

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
I'd say buy the most car you can afford to pay for. I too plan on putting 100K+ miles on mine. Bought GTP PP1 10A 401A ESP S&S B&O MR AE. Yeah you can buy one for 20K less, but if you can swing the extra $$$ you get a great package that can't be duplicated w/o voiding your warranties. Over the life of ownership a small price to pay for so much fun. Nothing beats track mode thru mexican traffic!
I knew I wanted cloth seats, so I bought the 301A to get the track modes. I did not see enough value to warrant getting the PP1, (and I still would've changed the wheels & tires) so I skipped that too. I ended up with a great package for $37K, that I could sit comfortably in. No need to buy every option if they don't add value to you.

NastyPumpkin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Boosted Mustang GT
I ran really good times in drag mode. I believe it's worth it.
Yes, worth it! What I've seen at the strip, Drag Mode is about a 2 tenth difference compared to not having it or using it. Shifts are much harder and faster than not using it.

Sponsored

craigsix

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
craig
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
As for the base rims, they are horrible. If I decided to go base, I would have some GT350 style wheels at home waiting to go on immediately. I would probably do blackout package if I did that. Emblems and roof are getting blacked out either way, just looks too good not to.i think putting the shifter in s is the base models drag mode.

What's launch control? I'm assuming I'll never use them either. The screen is the real bonus it seems.

I have to say, the screen and toggles give a much nicer look. I'm guessing my wife is going to say the same when we actually go drive a few. Better to have the modes and not use, then not have and be left wanting?

My buddy has a 2017 and said something about using the traction control button to turn on sport mode. Is sport mode the same on the base vs toggles?

This is my dilemma. The cheapskate in me is eyeballing the savings of this route. But it's gonna cost me another $2k in wheels and tires bc I don't like the blackout or any of the base wheels.

Yeah digital dash and safety package aren't big deal for me either. Although, I've seen some killer deals on >10k mile premium pp1s that were fully loaded. I'm just not sure that I need all that. In a perfect world, I'd go order a 2019 PP1 301A with active exhaust. I just don't really want to spend that much on a new one, especially with the good deals to be had out there w/ low miles.

Anyone know if 301a is required for active exhaust? Resonator delete h-pipe + track setting sounds glorious in videos.

OP
OP

90Notch

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2018 Silver GT PP1 A10
True. Iā€™m definitely not going to settle even if it means waiting a little longer for the right car.

I knew I wanted cloth seats, so I bought the 301A to get the track modes. I did not see enough value to warrant getting the PP1, (and I still would've changed the wheels & tires) so I skipped that too. I ended up with a great package for $37K, that I could sit comfortably in. No need to buy every option if they don't add value to you.
I probably donā€™t need the pp1 but I want it. I like the wheels and the suspension is good enough to track it occasionally. Iā€™m march Iā€™ll be looking for a pp1 301a with active exhaust (and in a perfect world cloth Recaros haha). I feel like this combo will allow me to enjoy the car for the 100k+ miles without feeling the need(want) to modify suspension, exhaust, etc.

serpent

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
crash
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
I can not stand cloth seats. Only car I ever owned with cloth was a '79 Taurus, one ash and burnt hole. Also in the long run it didn't wear that well if it outlived the cars tranny problems.
Also couldn't live w/o heated seats. I use them even in summer when my Sciatica flares up.
Heated steering wheel is killer, keeps my fingers warm and toasty.
PP1, I love the wheels. Brembos a + suspension tuning braces etc made it worth it to me. No 10a in PP2 and 305's up front I felt I wouldn't enjoy on NYC/LI roads.
AE just sounds sweet in any mode. AM catbacks just sound obnoxious to me.
MR feels softer/firmer when needed. also I think car has lower stance with.
S&S wanted the auto wiper blades. lane changing is cool, after switching lanes a few time w/o signaling red lights on dash flash alarms ring steering wheel vibrates and digital dash warns you that you must be sleepy pull over and rest.
With X plan and FMC offers got over 5K off so all of options almost 1/2 off. If I used Costco pricing I might of gotten a little better deal.

LETHAL

From the D but in the NC
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT A10
Vehicle Showcase

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
I can not stand cloth seats. Only car I ever owned with cloth was a '79 Taurus, one ash and burnt hole. Also in the long run it didn't wear that well if it outlived the cars tranny problems.
Also couldn't live w/o heated seats. I use them even in summer when my Sciatica flares up.
Heated steering wheel is killer, keeps my fingers warm and toasty.
PP1, I love the wheels. Brembos a + suspension tuning braces etc made it worth it to me. No 10a in PP2 and 305's up front I felt I wouldn't enjoy on NYC/LI roads.
AE just sounds sweet in any mode. AM catbacks just sound obnoxious to me.
MR feels softer/firmer when needed. also I think car has lower stance with.
S&S wanted the auto wiper blades. lane changing is cool, after switching lanes a few time w/o signaling red lights on dash flash alarms ring steering wheel vibrates and digital dash warns you that you must be sleepy pull over and rest.
With X plan and FMC offers got over 5K off so all of options almost 1/2 off. If I used Costco pricing I might of gotten a little better deal.
I really wanted the PP2 wheels, but no A10 with the PP2, so I bought PP2 replicas for my base 301A.
20181216_121832.jpg
IMG_20181219_183002_450.jpg
20181216_121800.jpg
Sponsored