Don’t use Royal purple (gen3 coyote)

joe603

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium PP
I had my 21 serviced at 5k miles at Ford...didn't have the tick until after that. Put in Ceratec and it went away immediately. Not sure what oil was in it from the factory and what oil was used by my local dealer...but I'm going to try a different dealership on the next change.
Sponsored

FunkinGoNuts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Carbonized Gray GT
Mine ticked after the factory oil was removed for the first change. I since tried LuquidMoly (1/2 bottle at a time) and the ticket disappeared. Piston slap?

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
My car developed the tick after the first oil was changed to Penzoil Ultra Platinium. Added 300ml of Ceratec and the tick went away.

WERA49

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Roush Supercharger Premium 401A
Royal Purple has never worked well for me. In my BMW manual transmission, Royal Purple felt like Elmer's glue. After 1,000 miles of driving with RP, I drained it and installed BMW OEM transmission fluid. The original smooth feeling came back instantly.

Royal Purple has a lot of marketing, but doesn't talk about the specs of their products.

Sponsored

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT Premium PP1, 10 Auto Grabber Blue
No tick on mine. First change at 5k with Pennzoil Platinum 5w30 and a full bottle of Ceratec. Still no tick. Hope it stays that way. My F150 with the Gen 3 Coyote ticked the whole time I had it since new til 100k miles so it isn't a major concern for me other than the sound is annoying. I did start using Ceratec in the truck at about 60k and the tick went away.

320guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EB PP soon
I haven't heard a peep outta my Mach yet and that's all I've been running in it since I've dropped oil. Will be doing my 2nd oil change pretty quick when spring hits and I think I still plan on staying with it.
My 2022 Mach 1 got oil change by ford at 2,000 miles. So far at 5k running strong, no tic or rattle…

OP
OP
Grayghostcoyote

Grayghostcoyote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT 10r80
that’s insane … mine happened immediately after I put royal purple in it, the next day went back to Walmart got mobile 1 and it went away. Also if you do your own oil I recommend only going to Walmart lol I know sounds weird but autozone and advanced sells mobile 1 for 39-40$ a jug…. Walmart 29.99 for a 5 qt jug

OP
OP
Grayghostcoyote

Grayghostcoyote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT 10r80
I only use mobile 1 for now on… it’s all I used before and after royal purple. Only had the tick with royal purple. Granted I only have 13k miles… but I still only do my oil every 3-4K miles I don’t prolong changes at all the day I bought my 21 gt new on the lot I went right home and switched to mobile 1 and put a catch can on the passenger side …

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
22 gt500, 20 gt350r, 67 gt500, 66 Backdraft Cobra
Mannn I pulled the trigger and said screw it I’m gonna use royal purple in my 21 GT …. Well I never had the bbq tick until now. 2 days later I switched back to mobile 1 and the tick went away. Don’t know why it did it but royal purple made my shit sound like it was blowing up
Personal I've been using Royal purple for yrs and never had a problem. In fact it was quieter than usual, maybe it wasn't totally filled. My gt350 takes 10 quarts, my gt500 takes 11.5 quarts, when either get about a half quart low I hear a slight difference but no ticking. That maybe just me, but you do what you think is best for you and your mustang.

Sponsored

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
I think we've established that brand has zero impact on the tick. Oil viscosity may, but all the over the shelf brands that meet current API SP/GF6 standards will be within spitting distance of each other on additive packages.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
well I have heard royal purple isn’t meant for daily driven vehicles too
You need to stop reading Reddit. :) Also NOT ONCE have you posted actual details as to what oils you used beyond just the brand name.

The RP MSDS docs are on their website just like they are for M1, Shell, Pennzoil, and all the rest. Download and get reading.

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
I swear to Henry Ford and God, I'm gonna make up some sorta' meme about Mustang owners and "The Tick".

"Oooooh......my engine makes noises!!!! Waaaaaah!!! Make it stop!!!"

giphy.gif
Sponsored