Dog Rides in Back

coz0502

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
I had a 90 - 95 lbs black lab too. We took a road trip from Tampa, FL to visit my parents in Blairsville, GA about 8 1/2 hours. I put the back seat down, laid a old comforter with some cushion to it down and wedged my luggage in the truck so it didn't slide and he had something to lean against. The only issue was getting him in the back seat, he couldn't quite figure it out the 1st time, so I lifted him up and put him in. After that, when he saw the back seats down, he was in and ready to ride.

He had a great trip. I did stop 1 or 2 times more each way to let him pee and stretch his legs. He would let me know when he wanted out of the car for a bit. We had a great time, he was an awesome dog. I bet your lab is similar and will just be happy to be with you regardless of the car he's in.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Trap

Trap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Boss 302
I had a 90 - 95 lbs black lab too. We took a road trip from Tampa, FL to visit my parents in Blairsville, GA about 8 1/2 hours. I put the back seat down, laid a old comforter with some cushion to it down and wedged my luggage in the truck so it didn't slide and he had something to lean against. The only issue was getting him in the back seat, he couldn't quite figure it out the 1st time, so I lifted him up and put him in. After that, when he saw the back seats down, he was in and ready to ride.

He had a great trip. I did stop 1 or 2 times more each way to let him pee and stretch his legs. He would let me know when he wanted out of the car for a bit. We had a great time, he was an awesome dog. I bet your lab is similar and will just be happy to be with you regardless of the car he's in.

Thanks never thought about removing the back bench seat first, but this sounds like it will work. He does like to go with us when he can.

Last edited:

coz0502

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Thanks never thought about removing the back bench seat first, but this sounds like it will work. He does like to go with us when he can.
Good luck!

Mine was a great dog, I lost him when my marriage ended. Looking back 3 years now, I miss him more than the ex.

Here he is saying hi to my Dad right after we arrived.
Cooper3.jpg

Mad Horse

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2, 2018 Explorer Sport, 2013 Fusion
I love my dog but I guess I must love my Mustang more. She's never been in the Mustang nor will she ever be. The Explorer handles dog transportation duties. Her name is Shelby BTW.

Sponsored

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase

dB Stang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT Vert 6M PP MagRide AE FPTune Vel./Mid.Blue
I ride around with two dogs in the back all the time, top up or down. Both are ~75 pounds (one is a black lab), and they do fine. They both know their spots, they just curl up or enjoy the view. The lab especially likes looking out the front from between the seats.

I have them secured with leashes and car vests. The leashes are latched to hook points I found under the rear seat.

I have a thick blanket on the bottom of the rear seat, but nothing on the seat back. Yeah, there's a lot of hair, but that's what vacuums are for. Some slobber too, but it wipes off. Actually, the interior surfaces have held up really well over the past 5+ years.

IMO, the rear seat of a Mustang is much better suited to dogs than it is to people!

Bobby57

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
I haven't had the chance yet cause of the weather to see how my 90 lb Black Lab would do in the back of our new GT. Was wondering how big of pets you guys have riding in the back,

Thanks
Trap
Here’s my border collie/lab mix, Max, riding with the wife and I in our BMW 440 convertible, now replaced with a supercharged Mustang GT Premium Connvertible . This was taken on the Blue Ridge Parkway on our move a couple years ago from NJ to FL. His sunglasses/goggles are important to protect his eyes, and they generate lots of smiles

I am in the process of rigging up a system for the backseat of the Mustang. My considerations are:

- Add secure attachment points at the top of the back seats to which to attach the hammock/seat cover, this given that the convertible does not have traditional headrests in the back. The back seats are easy to remove and beneath them there are plenty of cut-outs and such that I don’t see me having to drill new holes in the monocoque.

- make up covered, custom-cut foam pieces to provide a level surface across the entire backseat. I see this as being really important for a big dog (75 lbs.) like mine, given that the Mustang’s back seats are so deeply recessed. Fortunately, my wife is into sewing to make up the pillow covers

- attachment system to hold up the sides of hammock so he doesn’t damage the plastic side trim panels with his nails (also good to keep those nails trimmed). I saw something online once for this where there were plastic pieces with attachment rings that one could slide down into the window tracks.…trying again to find these. Many sedans and coupes have folding handles above the back doors that can be used for this, and many hammocks, like the one I have, come with straps to attach those handles so as so to protect the door armrest and trim

- a length-adjustable strap attached to the chid seat attachments that we connect to a his harness. Adjustability is important to be able to fine tune the distance he can venture
side-to-side

- with the convertible I need to be sure that everything is secured down, lest the wind catch a piece of the hammock where he is not residing and turn it into a sail. I plan to use Velcro for the pillows, and the hammock provides lots of ways for it being secured

This all sounds like a lot, but once I get it kitted together i don’t see that it will be too much of a hassle, and it is well worth it as we all, including Max, so-much enjoy the convertible ride

Good luck!

IMG_0092.JPG

Last edited:

Rock&Roll

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Stick- 2022 VW GTI Stick -2011 HD Fatboy
My German Shepherd use to jump on every car she went into so I never let her ride in the Mustang in fear that she would scratch up the car and there's all that hair she would shed :crying:

She use to ride in my Truck until the wife said I could use her Subaru. Hell yes

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Can go in my car any fricken time she wants. Front, back, don't matter.
20180624_141638.jpg

Sponsored

MikeHTally

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang, 2020 Explorer Limited
Vehicle Showcase
It would take a dire emergency for my baby girl to get in the Mustang. Two Escapes, a RAV 4 and a Hemi Ram should be sufficient.

MikeHTally

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang, 2020 Explorer Limited
Vehicle Showcase

MikeHTally

Threads
Reaction score
First Name