Sponsored

Does your Mustang's seat lumbar support suck?

2morrow

DesignR/DriveR/RiceEatR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GTPP
I had the Recaros and they were pretty good. I ended up swapping those out though...

IMG_20200307_105904_135.jpg

Due to a bad accident resulting in chronic back pain I completely understand the value of a good seat.
Sponsored

torqued

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Old thread, but I'm still fighting lower back pain every day because of these seats. Anyone make any progress?
I've had my car almost a year now and I'm still monkeying with the seating position. The seats look nice but they aren't comfortable. I think for me the bottom of the back angles in too much, and the lumbar is too high up.

After having my lower back spasm up at the gym a week ago, suddenly and unexplained, I'm trying right now a rolled towel in the seat crack and the lumbar maybe a third of the way out.

So far the two seem to be nestling my back in a happy position.

Deleted member 35786

I've had my car almost a year now and I'm still monkeying with the seating position. The seats look nice but they aren't comfortable. I think for me the bottom of the back angles in too much, and the lumbar is too high up.

After having my lower back spasm up at the gym a week ago, suddenly and unexplained, I'm trying right now a rolled towel in the seat crack and the lumbar maybe a third of the way out.

So far the two seem to be nestling my back in a happy position.
My issues is both my butt cheeks/tailbone hurt after awhile due to the hard seat and poor position. Like you I was messing with the seat position for the longest time. Got fed up and bought a nice seat cushion on Amazon for longer drives. Life saver and saves my butt literally.

Last edited by a moderator:

MasterCylinder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(sold)17 GT
I had back surgery 2 months ago and still in therapy. Having begun driving again in that time I have noticed some things. I'm 99% sure most of the back pain is from the angle of my/your legs. It's like when you are standing up and leaning over to touch your toes. It pulls the muscle in your lower back, ham string, calf, etc... just enough to cause pain. Coupled with a poorly supportive seat it just triggers everything.

This would be why, for some, adding a cushion or backjoy or washers or raising the seat high as possible creates some relief.

Do I have a solution? Nope but it's at least an explanation.

Sponsored

Pondude

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red V6
Vehicle Showcase
I've had my 2017 V6 for about 5 weeks now and I just love the way I fit into that seat. I haven't done a long road trip yet, but 45 minutes to work and back it is the most comfortable and supportive seat I've owned. And I have had some surgeries on my back.

Hilfloskind

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Ecoboost Convertible - Kona Blue
Bought this at Bed Bath & Beyond. Lower back problems fixed and it doesn't look half bad.
0cae4fd82136ff436540cd9d299acb26.jpg

It's called a "backjoy" something or other.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just got this exact one from Amazon today. I've been annoyed by the lumbar support pressing into my back, even with it totally deflated. Also, the seat bottom and seat back feels like it has a gap because of the protruding lumbar support. I have a displaced/degenerated L5/S1 disc, so it's been disappointing that these premium leather seats just can't ever seem to feel right. I'm constantly adjusting myself when I sit.

That being said, I put the Backjoy on the seat when I got home and immediately felt an improvement without even driving it. It just sort of fills in the gap and smooths out the lower seat back. Looking forward to getting a full morning commute out of it tomorrow to see how it really feels on a long ride.

torqued

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
My "backjoy". Why does a fifty thousand dollar car need this.
Backjoy.jpg

Deleted member 35786

Just got this exact one from Amazon today. I've been annoyed by the lumbar support pressing into my back, even with it totally deflated. Also, the seat bottom and seat back feels like it has a gap because of the protruding lumbar support. I have a displaced/degenerated L5/S1 disc, so it's been disappointing that these premium leather seats just can't ever seem to feel right. I'm constantly adjusting myself when I sit.

That being said, I put the Backjoy on the seat when I got home and immediately felt an improvement without even driving it. It just sort of fills in the gap and smooths out the lower seat back. Looking forward to getting a full morning commute out of it tomorrow to see how it really feels on a long ride.
For sure to keep us posted. I just ordered another seat wedge cushion for me. The issue I have is my hips, basically feels like I am sitting on my hip bones after few minutes of driving. When I drive our Honda Pilot its comfy as hell, so it has to be a posture thing with these seats.

Hilfloskind

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Ecoboost Convertible - Kona Blue
For sure to keep us posted. I just ordered another seat wedge cushion for me. The issue I have is my hips, basically feels like I am sitting on my hip bones after few minutes of driving. When I drive our Honda Pilot its comfy as hell, so it has to be a posture thing with these seats.
So this mornings first impression was mixed. It took me a bit to adjust the piece into a position that was most comfortable. Depending on the angle, I felt the padding under my thighs in an annoying way. I slid the unit back further on the bottom, which then in turn raised it a bit higher on the seat back. I found this to reduce the feeling of the pads under my thighs and increased the comfort. I need a few days driving with this to make a final decision about keeping it. I have a road trip to Atlanta on Friday morning which will be a little under 4 hours. This should be more than enough time to determine if it's a keeper.

Sponsored

Nomadic

King of Europe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: '19 Mustang GT base 6spd (SOLD),'19 Camaro 1SS A10, '14 VW Jetta SE 1.8
Had a base 19 GT and the lumbar on the seats seemed to push out too much even with it fully deflated. I always struggled to get comfortable up top. My progessively worse 2nd gear grind resulted in me selling it anyway. I will say this. I had this pad in my other car (VW Golf) b/c those seats sucked and this thing made a world of difference. Comfortable as hell and high quality with memory foam and not expensive. Only negative is that you end up losing a little bit of length e in the lower cushion due to being push forward slightly.

If you're really having issues, I suggest trying it. Best thing I've ever used and you can always return it if it doesn't work out.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075R6TMXN/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_-KXAEbKRYJ2PC

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 Ram 1500
Two years and I'm still fighting this every time I drive it. Bought it at a dealer 4 hours away so my introduction to the car was 4 hours of feeling like I was falling backwards into a canyon between the seat bottom and lumbar support. (And the first hour was stop and go rush hour traffic!) Feels like the lumbar is way too high. Have been using the rolled up towel method all along but it's not perfect. Replaced the cloth seat covers with leather a year ago and at the time didn't see an obvious solution but one of these days I'm gonna take it back apart and figure something out. FWIW I had an Audi S4 with the exact same issue, and it had up/down lumbar adjustment. Even with the lumbar all the way down it wasn't down far enough to close the canyon.

DrZed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP1 M6
After reading multiple posts here on lumbar, I realized something. When I sit in the passenger seat it feels entirely different than the driver's seat, why? I would often feel that the lumbar in the driver' seat was "inflated" even when it was fully retracted. So I took the seat fabric off the back and disconnected the "throttle cable" in the lumbar and it fully retracted it and big difference! I've effectively removed what was poking in my back this whole time. This means the lumbar is not operational now. Getting into the back of the seat is a breeze, I worked from the back seat upside down and removed two electrical connectors and then the elastic bands holding the back fabric. With that away a trim pry tool will get two plastic push pins out then the back flap opens right up. Lifting up the flap and looking for the plastic pin that is seated in the metal hoop (see picture). With needle nose pliers, I squeezed the tabs together and pushed it out of the hoop. Once you release this, it releases the tension and you can see the sides of the lumbar retract. I connected the motor again (will it pop a code if disconnected?) and will disconnect the lumbar switch itself. Check it out.

HUGE difference!

IMG_5589.JPG

IMG_5596.JPG

IMG_5594.JPG

thunderstrike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 6 spd
I have the seat back sit up more than leaning backwards to compensate for the sorry lumber support and little bit closer up front (which is better for stick shift driving).

CarpenterRunner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
After reading multiple posts here on lumbar, I realized something. When I sit in the passenger seat it feels entirely different than the driver's seat, why? I would often feel that the lumbar in the driver' seat was "inflated" even when it was fully retracted. So I took the seat fabric off the back and disconnected the "throttle cable" in the lumbar and it fully retracted it and big difference! I've effectively removed what was poking in my back this whole time. This means the lumbar is not operational now. Getting into the back of the seat is a breeze, I worked from the back seat upside down and removed two electrical connectors and then the elastic bands holding the back fabric. With that away a trim pry tool will get two plastic push pins out then the back flap opens right up. Lifting up the flap and looking for the plastic pin that is seated in the metal hoop (see picture). With needle nose pliers, I squeezed the tabs together and pushed it out of the hoop. Once you release this, it releases the tension and you can see the sides of the lumbar retract. I connected the motor again (will it pop a code if disconnected?) and will disconnect the lumbar switch itself. Check it out.

HUGE difference!

IMG_5589.JPG

IMG_5596.JPG

IMG_5594.JPG

So did this fix the problem for you? I actually just returned my '22 stang to the dealership because the lumbar was bothering me so much (even when "fully recessed"). Other S550s I test drive seem to have more or less the same issue, though the leather seats seem to be *slightly* better than the base cloth ones in this regard.

This gives me hope that I could still have a chance of getting another mustang and driving it comfortably if I show this thread to an upholsterer.

Also, does anyone know if the seats on the 2024 mustangs are the same? I sat in one briefly which came with no lumbar in the driver seat and my first impression was that it didn't have this problem at all!
Sponsored