Sponsored

Does the 10R80 Function Better in the GT vs. the Ecoboost?

fredsmustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Ecoboost Convertible
I currently have a 10R80 in a 2018 ecoboost convertible.

Any chance it performs better when mate with the V8???

Really looking for input from those who have experienced many modern automatic transmissions

In a word my transmission is terrible.
Its jerky, hesitant, slow and has ruined the driving experience of this car for me.

I have brought into Ford with no acknowledgment that anything is wrong and even have a COBB stage 1 tune with a PD transmission off the shelf tune.

Still itā€™s terrible.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Engine is not the problem. The retards who wear Ford hats who pretend to know how to write shift logic are the problem.

Get yourself to the nearest tuner who knows how to fix the factory abomination. That list includes, wengerd, unleashed tuning , and a few more. The list does NOT include Lund.

You might want to have a long chat with PD. They should know better. And off the shelf tunes are often no different than stock. Pay them to finish the job on both the engine and trans.

Torched10

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 gt premium convertible. 2017 caddy xts vsport twin turbo.2011 caddy ext
My 2019 gt premium shifts and drives great
I've only got 7000 Mile's on
It.usually like driving with paddle shifter in 3rd to keep revs up snd charge battery
But when I've taken longer drive put ut in sport mode and its fine.completey stock.i had a 14 gt500,which only came with tremec 6peed and I think the 19 is quicker with the 10r80.sorry you're hav I ng issues.go to a dealer and drive 10r80 to see how it feels.maybe even drive ecoboost car with the dealer tech to see how it compares to your car with him driving both.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
There is something wrong with either your car, or the nerve endings in you butt. šŸ˜„

I've driven a dozen a10 mustangs, eco and gt and also mach1, new and used. They all had me on suicide watch in as little as 10 minutes. The f150s where vastly better, though a long way off from what GM accomplished with the Camaro.

For the life of me I can't understand how Ford sells any.

Last edited:

Fusion Training Systems

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP1
Once someone like Wengerd tunes your car, youā€™ll enjoy the 10R80 much more.
You would think by now ford engineers would have this figured out.

Sponsored

OP
OP
fredsmustang

fredsmustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine is not the problem. The retards who wear Ford hats who pretend to know how to write shift logic are the problem.

Get yourself to the nearest tuner who knows how to fix the factory abomination. That list includes, wengerd, unleashed tuning , and a few more. The list does NOT include Lund.

You might want to have a long chat with PD. They should know better. And off the shelf tunes are often no different than stock. Pay them to finish the job on both the engine and trans.
Thanks for the advice! Do you know if unleashed uses COBB?

Have you heard from people saying a tune has really helped the 10R80? Because my COBB stage 1 didnā€™t help much.

OP
OP
fredsmustang

fredsmustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've only got 7000 Mile's on
It.usually like driving with paddle shifter in 3rd to keep revs up snd charge battery
But when I've taken longer drive put ut in sport mode and its fine.completey stock.i had a 14 gt500,which only came with tremec 6peed and I think the 19 is quicker with the 10r80.sorry you're hav I ng issues.go to a dealer and drive 10r80 to see how it feels.maybe even drive ecoboost car with the dealer tech to see how it compares to your car with him driving both.
Thanks and great recommendations!

MD18EcoStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Ecoboost
Thanks for the advice! Do you know if unleashed uses COBB?

Have you heard from people saying a tune has really helped the 10R80? Because my COBB stage 1 didnā€™t help much.
I thought the Cobb OTS tunes are just engine tunes and don't do anything for the transmission. Is that not true?

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Do you know if unleashed uses COBB?
Doesn't look like it. But you should talk to PD first. I'm guessing you bought the Cobb from them?

Yes there is oodles of chatter from A10 suffering that have been saved by wengerd et. Al.

17gt07

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
87 Grand Marquis, 02 gt, 07 gt, 17 gt
I had a 2020 F150 with the coyote and 10r80. The transmission was trash. Once I was merging and when I went to hit the gas to downshift it say there for a good five or so seconds without doing anything before it slammed into 3rd and took off. Absolute junk.

Now I know someone with a 2024 F150 with the 10r and his transmission seems to shift great. Iā€™m guessing a lot of the shifting issues are worked out now.

Sponsored

geezer stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt,base
I currently have a 10R80 in a 2018 ecoboost convertible.

Any chance it performs better when mate with the V8???

Really looking for input from those who have experienced many modern automatic transmissions

In a word my transmission is terrible.
Its jerky, hesitant, slow and has ruined the driving experience of this car for me.

I have brought into Ford with no acknowledgment that anything is wrong and even have a COBB stage 1 tune with a PD transmission off the shelf tune.

Still itā€™s terrible.

Thanks in advance!
the 10r80 in my 21 GT can be a bit temperamental,my car is as base as it gets with less than optimal rear gearing(for performance)if the tranny is cold,i'll just put it in "D" till i get some temp,then drop it into "S" if i'm really driving the car,i don't paddle-shift for city driving and i get smoother operation,if i'm marginally pushing the car on the backroads...i'll paddle shift,from my experience the "10r80" is not as smooth as the "6r80",as you know,this transmission is used on the "MACH-1" also...is the "MACH" transmission configured the same as all 10r80's...or is there some"mystery transmission tune" that only that car gets?

Last edited:

Tomeck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
I can confirm the criticism of my 2019 GT.
For this reason, I had the automatic software customized. The shift points and shift times were adapted to my wishes in each driving program. Now everything works great and I'm very happy with it. My vert accelerates smoothly as if it were being pulled by a rubber band.

OP
OP
fredsmustang

fredsmustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I can confirm the criticism of my 2019 GT.
For this reason, I had the automatic software customized. The shift points and shift times were adapted to my wishes in each driving program. Now everything works great and I'm very happy with it. My vert accelerates smoothly as if it were being pulled by a rubber band.
What customization did you perform? Can you share the details of what worked for you?

Tomeck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
I had the adjustments made by one of the best Mustang experts in Germany, Henry Hentzschel in Schleid/ThĆ¼ringen. It took him several hours to implement it. From what I understand, he uses HP tuners for programming. I don't know what and how it was done in detail. The equipment can be easily purchased, but it is not cheap.

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
The A10 in the GT isn't any better from my experience. My 2018 GT A10 Premium PP1 w/ MagneRide was clunky, at times slow, and would get confused if you got on it, let off, then got on it again - it wouldn't know what to do so it wouldn't do anything at all for a couple of seconds. Not only that, but during warm up if you were driving slowly and very lightly on the gas pedal, when you lifted off below 5 mph it would continue to give throttle for 1-2 seconds after you took your foot off the gas pedal. In manual mode with light throttle it would take so long to respond in 1st gear and wouldn't shift at all below about 2300 rpm, so if you accidentally tried to shift at 2200 rpm, it wouldn't register, but because the response time was so slow you wouldn't realize it until you were revving at 4000+ rpm, sounding like you're trying to race the minivan next to you (at 10% throttle mind you). What a dumb transmission. At wide open throttle it was fast, though. My '21 ZL1 with the A10 is NOTHING like the GT. Smooth as butter and 1,000x smarter, not to mention, significantly quicker downshifts in auto mode (at 60 mph it feels like it goes from 10th to 3rd nearly instantly), and much more responsive paddles at light throttle.
Sponsored

Last edited: