Sponsored

Does anyone have experience with sound deadening?

Joe 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP
Vehicle Showcase
I added Roush axlebacks to my exhaust setup, and now I'm getting some drone. I'm wondering if anyone has experience with sound deadening, and weather that would dampen the exhaust/road noise.

My idea was to place sound deadening in the trunk around the spare tire wheel well, as well as underneath the rear seats.
Sponsored

Stranger706

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT w/Roush SC
Yes I had a cat back exhaust on my focus st and the highway drone gave me headaches.

I put a dynamat-type sound deadening in the trunk floor and sides and it helped a good bit with exhaust and road noise. Make sure you cover the entire trunk floor and even go up the sides a little.

Look on amazon and ebay. You don’t need the brand name stuff it’s all the same.

BigBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang GT - 10spd Auto, Performance Pack Lvl 1
Use Dynamat at about 25-30% coverage of the metal to get rid of vibrations. Drone (deep frequencies) will require some MLV (Mass Loaded Vinyl), preferably closed cell to avoid water intrusion/mold to take some of the drone stuff away. Or, easier and lighter, get a Vibrant resonator set welded in, especially an Ultra Quiet resonator which will help a ton.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Sound deadening will NOT cure drone. Sound deadening only cuts out certain frequency ranges because of the material's properties. Even look on Dynomat's product box. They clearly show where their product excels on a frequency range table and drone frequencies are way down on their scale.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Yes I had a cat back exhaust on my focus st and the highway drone gave me headaches.

I put a dynamat-type sound deadening in the trunk floor and sides and it helped a good bit with exhaust and road noise. Make sure you cover the entire trunk floor and even go up the sides a little.

Look on amazon and ebay. You don’t need the brand name stuff it’s all the same.
Your FoST has a different drone frequency than a Mustang. It's somewhat apples to oranges.

I tried fixing drone with Dynamat before on a Mustang. Did absolutely 100% nothing. Did a dB test back to back and it was the same intensity.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Joe 5.0

Joe 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP
Vehicle Showcase
Use Dynamat at about 25-30% coverage of the metal to get rid of vibrations. Drone (deep frequencies) will require some MLV (Mass Loaded Vinyl), preferably closed cell to avoid water intrusion/mold to take some of the drone stuff away. Or, easier and lighter, get a Vibrant resonator set welded in, especially an Ultra Quiet resonator which will help a ton.
Welding in a resonator is my last resort. I love how loud and throaty my exhaust is, and I'd love to keep it that way (I'm just looking to lessen the drone). I also converted to quad tips, and would like to avoid having to align my tips again.

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
I second what Bigblue said. You will need MLV and closed cell foam. Sound deadener itself wont be very effective, it is made to reduce vibration, not sound. MLV is heavy and a ton of work. Personally I just turn up the music or open the window to avoid drone lol

Unfortunetly they have closed down but this site will explain it well: https://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/products

Sponsored

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette
SW Catted Headers > X-Pipe > Roush Axleback
Oh lmao I see I figured you had headers since the ab on its own doesn't have much drone. I had the roush AB, H pipe and the texas speed headers with cats from another system. That set up it so insane I don't think anything inside is going to help much :D

I had to add two 12" resonators to the H pipe and I don't have much drone anymore. That's with a gutted rear end with no back seat. Though you do lose some sound but otherwise there isn't much you can do since its just stupid loud.

Bluelightning

Bluelightning
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lightning Blue 2017 GT350, 2019 F-150 4x4 Ecoboost (Daily)
Vehicle Showcase
I've got my trunk, doors, and floor boards dyno matted, and it helped a bit with drone, but not much. I didn't do it for quieting down the exhaust or drone, so I don't consider it lost money, but don't spend a bunch on it thinking it will knock out the drone. A resonator would be more effective, and probably cost less.

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
I'm a mechanical engineer that has worked with dedicated sound engineers. I've also done some entry level type sound engineering in my career. There's generally two types of sound reduction: sound deadening and sound transmission control. It takes mass to reduce sound transmission between two separated areas, particularly with low frequencies. Less mass is needed for high frequencies. Note that approximately 50% of sound/noise will pass through only 1% of a given area, so if you don't put material everywhere and seal it completely, significant noise will leak through, reducing the effectiveness. Sound deadening is used to reduce reverberations, vibrations, or echoes within a space, and requires materials designed to absorb sound frequencies, or to keep them from reflecting off hard surfaces. I haven't done sound control for cars but the same principles apply because noise is noise.

You're most likely better of getting a resonator installed. It will be difficult to seal 100% of the car with sound control material.

Ericc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various Mustang GTs
The best way to fix drone is putting the stock exhaust back on.
Sponsored