Sponsored

Do your back windows not close all the way?

jr1050

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
Our right rear has exhibited this issue as long as I can remember since getting the car new. It happens regardless of top up, top down, the position of the front windows, or ambient temperature.

The re-calibration process and regular maintenance seem like good suggestions. Thanks for the suggestions, I know what I will be doing this evening.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Thatguy

Thatguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Lightning Blue Convertible (sold)
Our right rear has exhibited this issue as long as I can remember since getting the car new. It happens regardless of top up, top down, the position of the front windows, or ambient temperature.

The re-calibration process and regular maintenance seem like good suggestions. Thanks for the suggestions, I know what I will be doing this evening.
I checked mine with the top down tonight. They go right into place without a problem but get stuck when the top is up.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
I just picked up a new ride (well, 4K miles "used"), and in advance, I'm going to spray down the rubber top seals with silicon. When I fixed my previous ride back in March (see above) it stayed fixed till it was sold last week, so it's works really well.

jr1050

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Unfortunately the recalibration did not yield a positive result. I'll spend some time testing definitively the results for top up and down. I did pick up some silicone based lubricant that will go on the seals to help things along.

Danacblack

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dana
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium Convertible PP1
I had this issue and after reading this forum picked up some WD-40 Silicone Lubricant and sprayed the rubber over the top of the rear window. No issue now, fits like a glove with a $4/can fix and doesn't involve some yahoo taking my car apart and putting it back wrong.

Sponsored

smbsocal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Mustang GT Vert, '17 C7 Z06, '19 BMW X5
I have the same issue. This is just a design limitation, there is a lot of resistance when the front windows are up. You can see if the back window needs adjustment to help and can lube the seals to reduce the friction resistance.

I use Dielectric grease which has been used by Vette owners forever to take care of the removable top seals. Dielectric grease will not harden over time but Silicone grease can. Dielectric grease will not attract dirt, dust, etc but Silicone grease can. The negative however is that Dielectric grease costs a lot more.

OP
OP
Thatguy

Thatguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Lightning Blue Convertible (sold)
I picked up a can of WD-40 Silicone Lubricant yesterday. The windows work great now! I might try dielectric grease too.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Here ya go - service procedure for adjusting rear 1/4 glass for convertibles.

Attachments

rcengr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
17 Grabber Blue EB Convertible, 2023 Colorado Z71
That is a very handy procedure. I bet adjusting the in/out pitch of the window to reduce friction on the seal will solve my problem. Thanks for posting.

Barschlep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium Convertible
I was having problems with my rear quarters like everyone else and the silicone lube has worked for me, also.

Sponsored

jr1050

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Tested and confirmed it actually only happens to me with top up.

Happy to report WD-40 Silicone Lubricant has resolved the issue for now. I imagine this will need periodic maintenance but happy to not have to get out, walk around and pull the window forward any longer. ("Jeff, why don't you just reach over from the driver's seat and pull it forward?" Because I'm five and a half feet tall and have short little t-rex arms, so let's just get that out of the way now.)

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
Just picked up an 18 EcoBoost Premium and found the passenger rear window not going that last 1/2 inch. Thanks to this thread I found that it works fine with the top down. So I used a light coat of dielectric grease in the rubber channel and it pops right into place now.
Thanks to all who posted solutions, I really didn't want to take it in to a dealer so soon after getting it.