Sponsored

Do your back windows not close all the way?

Thatguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Lightning Blue Convertible (sold)
I've noticed my back windows don't close all the way if I put them up after the front sides. They are almost closed but not all the way. I have to put the front windows down a little, close the back then the front. Does anyone else experience this?
Sponsored

FreedomPenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost Premium, 2013 Scion tC.
Go to dealership and get in one of the ones on the lot and test it and compare to yours. thats what I;d do myself.

JCFoster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Vert, 3.15, A6, Magnetic
I think someone posted a while back that the seals get dry and could keep it from fully seating. I think they recommended wd-40 silicon spray along the seals to clean and lubricant.

FreedomPenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost Premium, 2013 Scion tC.
I always thought wd40 is awful for rubber, id suggest silicone based instead. (I could be wrong)

Fordever

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/CS Convertible
I experienced the same issue. As others have posted, I popped into my dealership and a couple of squirts is silicon spray in the rubber channel and all was good.

Sponsored

Johnnybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 convertible
I think someone posted a while back that the seals get dry and could keep it from fully seating. I think they recommended wd-40 silicon spray along the seals to clean and lubricant.
I have not had this issue, although I almost without fail put the rears up first. For certainty, it is the WD-40 silicone can that you want. I did mine by taking a shop paper towel and soaking it and then running it along all the seals.

OP
OP
Thatguy

Thatguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm around a couple of the local Ford dealer often so I'll check out a convertible next time I see one on the lot. I think I put the front windows up first then go for the rear. I'll pay attention to how I put them up next time.

Fordever

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/CS Convertible
I'm around a couple of the local Ford dealer often so I'll check out a convertible next time I see one on the lot. I think I put the front windows up first then go for the rear. I'll pay attention to how I put them up next time.
It doesnā€™t matter the order you put up your windows. The rear windows drag on the channel thatā€™s attached to the roof. Silicon spray is your rear windows best friend.

Last edited:

DropTopBob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2017 EB Conv, Perf Pak, Borla Sport Axleback
It doesnā€™t matter the order you put up your windows. The rear windows drap on the channel thatā€™s attached to the roof. Silicon spray is your rear windows best friend.
Silicone Spray is ALL your convertible gaskets friend. Spring & Fall I do a complete cleaning of all gaskets with an all-purpose Cleaner then spray silicone. No squeaks, no leaks, windows lift completely.

Nickrt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Convertible
I had the problem with the passenger side rear window. Could pull closed by hand but it didnt have enough muscle to close on its own. There is a cam in the mechanism that snaps the final inch or so closed. It seemed to hang just before the final snap.

Ford dealer replaced the entire mechanism - twice actually as they stripped the adjustment mechanism. Was a royal pain as parts were hard to find at the time, they were short on man power, struggled to get the left and right syncronized (why just ine switch...?) and the ford explorer they loaned me died hours after i took it.

All fixed now though. The silicon tricked worked for a while but i feared that it would not work forever and wanted it fixed under warranty. Once it wore off i brought it in for the repair.

Sponsored

JocoRacing

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang EcoBoost Convert
Mine did this before and after I got my new top. Took it in once we moved to Virginia and the dealer here re adjusted the rear windows and now they close perfectly.
She is now back in due to the top being installed incorrectly and letting waterin to the back seat......

OP
OP
Thatguy

Thatguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
IMG_8180.jpg

Pic from the last time it happened. I checked out an '18 convertible at a local Ford dealer. Tried putting the windows up a few different ways. Those closed without a problem.

DropTopBob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2017 EB Conv, Perf Pak, Borla Sport Axleback
Thatguy, Ford and the Topā€™s manufacturer have probably fine-tuned the operation, alignment & fit of these rear quarter windows so that late models work correctly.
My ā€˜17 left rear window has never been an issue, only the right. Luckily my 3 or 4 months interval application of WD40 Silicone Spray keeps me out of the shop.

Hellman109

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost Convertible (See my garage)
Vehicle Showcase
Yep had both repaired, Ford try and claim its not a warranty issue though, which Ive fought and "won" and by that I mean they wont say its a warranty issue, but they did refund my money.

cbrookre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible 50th app
Thatguy, Ford and the Topā€™s manufacturer have probably fine-tuned the operation, alignment & fit of these rear quarter windows so that late models work correctly.
My ā€˜17 left rear window has never been an issue, only the right. Luckily my 3 or 4 months interval application of WD40 Silicone Spray keeps me out of the shop.
Same with my '15. Have had it adjusted once under warranty, but after about 6 months it started sticking again. Silicone spray only works so good. Will have to investigate how to adjust it myself now that the warranty is out.
Sponsored