Sponsored

Sticky gunk on windows...from the conv top?

CPerez

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
C
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '15 convertible
Has anyone experienced an issue with really bad residue dirtying up their windows from the rubber lining of the convertible top?
I have a 15' mustang and I've taken it to the dealer twice with no solution besides a total $800 replacement of the rubber lining.
I've cleaned/detailed her as best I can but this gunky sticky substance keeps washing onto my windows after even just a little bit of rain :(
Maybe some type of sealant to keep the rubber from degrading more?

16096359786668622792743118407377.jpg

16096361004406920652608044849176.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

Johnnybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 convertible
I have not experienced this, although I do get a dirt trail at that location between washes. What rubber lining are you talking about? The seal across the top of the windshield frame? Have you determined where this is coming from. Is the seal deteriorating, I.e., is it “gooey” at all, or is it coming from something else. Do you use a top treatment? As part of your detailing, have you used a product that is not compatible with the rubber?

OP
OP
CPerez

CPerez

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
C
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '15 convertible
I have not experienced this, although I do get a dirt trail at that location between washes. What rubber lining are you talking about? The seal across the top of the windshield frame? Have you determined where this is coming from. Is the seal deteriorating, I.e., is it “gooey” at all, or is it coming from something else. Do you use a top treatment? As part of your detailing, have you used a product that is not compatible with the rubber?
I apologize, I'm likely not using the correct term. Yes the seal across the top of the windshield frame. Perhaps the seal might be deteriorating, the end itself does seem gooey/sticky.
I have used two different top treatments, one as cleaner and a protectant last summer. The sprays I used are by 303, they state that they are for tonneau covers/convertible tops.
Perhaps, these are too strong? Any recommendations on alternatives that may be safer?

Johnnybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 convertible
I use 303 Fabric Guard on my top without incident. I only go to the edge of the top and never treat the very leading edge at the seal. I’m not sure what it would do to the rubber seal if it came in contact with it. You may want to visit their website and inquire if it can perish rubber. It does sound like your issue is with the seal, in as much as it has come into contact with something that has affected it. It is not unusual for this to be irreversible, although you could try to find a product which treats the seal. I can’t suggest any, as I have not had any need for it. If you have WD-40 SILICONE, you could try soaking a rag with it and rubbing down the seal to see if that helps. The only real cure may be replacing the seal.

OP
OP
CPerez

CPerez

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
C
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '15 convertible
I use 303 Fabric Guard on my top without incident. I only go to the edge of the top and never treat the very leading edge at the seal. I’m not sure what it would do to the rubber seal if it came in contact with it. You may want to visit their website and inquire if it can perish rubber. It does sound like your issue is with the seal, in as much as it has come into contact with something that has affected it. It is not unusual for this to be irreversible, although you could try to find a product which treats the seal. I can’t suggest any, as I have not had any need for it. If you have WD-40 SILICONE, you could try soaking a rag with it and rubbing down the seal to see if that helps. The only real cure may be replacing the seal.
Thankyou for the input, I will look into this!

Johnnybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 convertible
NP. please update the thread as you resolve. I am curious as to what the outcome will be.
Sponsored