Sponsored

Do I really need the Performance Package?

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
grew up racing (two wheels) so my tolerance for loud is a lot higher than others.
I have a Tuono v4 with WSB-spec system+shorty can. I cringe and offer silent entreaties of forgiveness to my neighbors any time I fire that one up. Sounds glorious at 6000+ backroad scratching though.
Sponsored

Aero1900

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ethan
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
I think there are a few people here that would disagree with that statement. Is it the preferred track mustang, of course not, but there are a few here tracking theirs quite well. (@gone_n_60 comes to mind.)
Without a roll cage?

I've never seen a track that allows convertibles without rollover protection. But obviously every track is different. Regardless, from the original post, it's not sounding like he's going to be doing some hard core track work and thus I stand by my position. He doesn't need the performance pack.

Traffic22

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 Raptor, 2011 Ford CV Lemons Race Car
Without a roll cage?

I've never seen a track that allows convertibles without rollover protection. But obviously every track is different. Regardless, from the original post, it's not sounding like he's going to be doing some hard core track work and thus I stand by my position. He doesn't need the performance pack.
Personally I think it is worth it for the magnaride alone. But that is a personal choice, and I can see why some would not want to pay for that.

I see your point on not getting it and agee for some not worth it. (And if the OP doesn't plan to track, then totally agree with you it's probably not worth the money.)

I just disagreed with your original blanket statement you can't track a convertible, which of course you can.

Aks550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ak
Vehicle(s)
2023 s550
So I have finally gotten the ok to purchase a mustang. Unfortunately, per the wife, it needs to be a convertible and auto so she can drive it.
Does not make me happy, but any way I can get one, I'll take it!
I have been looking for my specs: Auto, Active Exhaust, Performance Pack, Magna Ride and Digital Dash (401A). And her specs: Auto, Convertible, not a black exterior.

I have been having a hard time finding that package in a convertible. I guess the question is do I really need the performance package? Because of the convertible, I cannot hit the tracks around here without a roll bar anyway which I'm not going to do yet.
We are looking at 2020-2023. I can order a 2024 from the dealer, but getting up there in price, plus I do not want to wait until October.

Thoughts?
Get a new wife! Problem solved!

Mels21GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Melvin
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
Heh, I know what a quiet V8 sounds like - Audi S5. I can barely tell it's running. There's good sound level and there's obnoxious. The AE stays on the safe side of the dB meter. I personally have a Steeda H paired with the Borla Touring (sans resonator) and it's just right. I wouldn't want it louder.
Can you post a video of how yours sounds? I have the AE on mine and am looking to add something similar to you.

Sponsored

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Can you post a video of how yours sounds? I have the AE on mine and am looking to add something similar to you.
Throw an X or H pipe on with the stock active mufflers. Sounds great and is the perfect volume for every day driving IMO.

steathv

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2022 California Special
If you are mechanically inclined or have access to a good mechanic, the car can be modded any way you want it. If you are buying used, get the active exhaust, don't worry about the PP, add sway bars and see how you like those and go from there, add Raybestos Carbon Ceramic brake pads and your braking will improve substantially on the stock brakes. You can do improvements one at a time and the wife may not notice or she will like the improvements. A softer sprung car with big sway bars and the right shocks and struts makes for a great daily driver.

RagmopInKona

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang HHP
The non pp mustangs are more than enough in a drop top to enjoy and have fun.
I love the magnaride on mine .
I would have the wife test drive a non magnaride car and see if the ride is too stiff for her. The magnaride you have options on stiffness somewhat and might make in worth the buy in cost cuz if the wife don't like driving it , You might not own it long .
The car you want is out there take your time and get it the way you want it you will enjoy it more that way.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I wouldn't get the performance pack on a new Mustang, but then I'm cheap. Especially if you aren't tracking the car IMO it isn't worth it. I think the base brakes are plenty good enough for street driving and the car doesn't need more.

And if you are tracking the car, I don't think the PP1 suspension is sufficient, so that's a major part of the performance pack that seems wasted to me.

I would also tend to avoid the automatic. To me the Mustang isn't worth buying with an automatic. If you really don't care what transmission the car has, then go ahead and do what your wife wants. But since in your post it seemed like you prefer the manual, I would at a minimum drive an automatic quite a bit and make 100% sure you won't be bored or hate the car.

My wife doesn't tell me what to do with my cars. She buys what she wants for her cars and I buy what I want for my cars. She can't drive a stick and doesn't care to learn, which is fine by me. I use my money for my purchases and she uses her money for her purchases. I think you are getting into dangerous territory if your wife is bossing you around too much and you feel you need permission from her. If you are doing reasonable things and you really can afford the car you're buying without jeopardizing savings/house/etc., I say you should buy what you want.

Rent or borrow or otherwise find a way to drive an automatic quite a bit. If you hate it but still want a Mustang, tell your wife what you want. If she loves you she will not be upset about it. And she can learn to drive a stick if she wants.

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
And she can learn to drive a stick if she wants.
It's really not that hard. 30 minutes in a parking lot and she'll be good enough for on street practice. Op If you don't know how to teach, find a driving instructor.

If you want a rundown, pm me.

Hoofer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Boz
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Vert, PP1, MagneRide, ActiveExhaust, B&O
If not, it's 99% a waste on the street for just putting around. Even the base suspension/brakes are good enough to have fun in some moderate twisties.
^LOL

So I have finally gotten the ok to purchase a mustang. Unfortunately, per the wife, it needs to be a convertible and auto so she can drive it.
I have been looking for my specs: Auto, Active Exhaust, Performance Pack, Magna Ride and Digital Dash (401A). And her specs: Auto, Convertible, not a black exterior.

I have been having a hard time finding that package in a convertible. I guess the question is do I really need the performance package? Because of the convertible, I cannot hit the tracks around here without a roll bar anyway which I'm not going to do yet.
We are looking at 2020-2023. I can order a 2024 from the dealer, but getting up there in price, plus I do not want to wait until October.

Thoughts?
Stay the course with your original plan.
Do not settle for less.

After 3-1/2 years of ownership, and 15k miles, the only thing I'd change is the safe/smart package.
Mines a vert and even odder with the 400A package and 6 spd.

This car is fantastic.

Here's a my window sticker:

IMG_7971.jpeg

Pay once, cry once.

Oakley

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang

Thoughts?
don't buy a shitty car to satisfy your wife. if she wants a vert get a proper vert.

shawn.m

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
shawn
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Convert, 7.5 Dodge Ram
We bought a used 2018 vert auto. Requirement from wife was convertible and auto. California traffic almost demands a auto. I added a bunch of BMR bushings, PP1 struts front and rear. Didnt do rear sway bar as only 1 mm bigger. k brace, 275 19" square setup. About to do ford performance cold air kit. Plus borla x. Have a active exhaust system that will add also. No drone desired. Have put 30k on it already.
Got kicked off dragstrip as too fast with no roll bar. So it will probably get a roll bar at some point.
Sponsored