Dipstick

Torched10

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 gt premium convertible. 2017 caddy xts vsport twin turbo.2011 caddy ext
my 2o19 only has 2000 miles on it so I checked oil.for the life of me I cant read the dann stick
k.one side if stick shows barely in cross hatch,but other side has marks above hatch mmark.don want to Overfill
is there a trick to getting a good reading.
so
sorry for dumb question and underline,donl know how that happened.
Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Underline is caused from the activation in the HTML box when replying to a message. Probably just activated it by accident.

—-

Best way to check the dipstick:
Always check after engine gets to normal Op temps. Shut off vehicle, wait 15 mins for oil to drain back. Pull out once, wipe completely and then reinsert. Pull out 2nd time and try to view it with overhead garage light OR daylight, but looking at the dipstick at an angle.

The oil should be within the designated hashmarks based on your vehicle Powertrain and Owner’s Manual specifications.

Last edited:

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Based on a 2019 GT, the owners manual states:
625E8305-94A3-4176-BF6A-B425258214C9.jpeg

As long as the oil is between A and B, it’s “safe”.

If the oil is ABOVE B, the engine is overfilled and of course if BELOW A, well, you could end up with some major problems....

OP
OP
Torched10

Torched10

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 gt premium convertible. 2017 caddy xts vsport twin turbo.2011 caddy ext
Based on a 2019 GT, the owners manual states:
625E8305-94A3-4176-BF6A-B425258214C9.jpeg

As long as the oil is between A and B, it’s “safe”.

If the oil is ABOVE B, the engine is overfilled and of course if BELOW A, well, you could end up with some major problems....
Thank
You.my issue I've got oil on both sides of stick at different kevels,one above the hattch and one in the hatch.ill post pic later.i read somewhere there's a technique to only get oil on one side,but can't find it.

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
I always have more oil on the underside of the stick when pulling it out. The one that shows oil to the bottom of the hash marks is probably correct in your case. (Educated guess with out watching you check it) FYI after an oil change with 10 quarts the oil level reads center of the marks, not all the way to the top so I'd say its safe to assume you probably lost/ burnt half a quart if your close to the bottom of the hash marks.

Sponsored

kiksbutt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I have the same issue. No way to tell as the oil seams smeared all over when you pull out.

gadgtfreek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium Shadow Black 10spd Auto
I just check after it sat all night. Wipe once, put in, pull and try and get level and at a good angle. Just look for the highest point on the dipstick that appears "wet". My Honda with 0w-20 pennzoil was terrible too.

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, Mustang GT, MME GTPE
I recall someone here suggesting that the hatch marks face outward (or maybe inward) to get a better reading. I forget, but how you insert the dipstick makes a difference as to its orientation when inserted all the way. I want to say the hatch marks should be facing inward.

And it's really requiring a great deal of restraint to not insert (no pun intended) a gratuitous dick joke here.

gadgtfreek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium Shadow Black 10spd Auto
And it's really requiring a great deal of restraint to not insert (no pun intended) a gratuitous dick joke here.
Man, I retyped my response 4 times to make it target free.

Sponsored

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
My problem is the oil is so light that I can't see any difference between stick and oil,

Maybe I am empty!
Same problem.

It seems waiting at least the 15 minutes helps.

I've also checked it with the oil cold, and I'm of the opinion it's easier to read that way, and basically just as accurate as when it's warm. It's not going to read massively different when cold versus after 15 minutes of being shut off.

Cemclo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Clayton
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
I just went to a buddy’s place to change my oil and we couldn’t find the dipstick. Apparently the shop I took it to last is collecting them

19gtaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang GT, PP1 and 2021 Mach 1
Why do they want you to run the engine? It should read the same if you run it and wait 15 minutes or if you check it after sitting over night. The more it sits the easier it is to read on mine.

Johnnybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 convertible
I usually check on the weekend after it sits overnight. Just pull it, no need to double dip as virtually all oil splash will have drained off.

Zathras

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
It does seem kind of hard to read, at least compared to other cars I've owned. I usually need to shine a light on it, or go to a sunny place, to see where the oil/dry line is. And often I have to put the dipstick back in and try again for a 2nd reading.
Sponsored