450nick

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
TVR Chimaera
Hi there folks!

I'm looking to try and get hold of an iron differential housing with a 3.55 ratio and the Torsen T2R differential inside. First question... Did any Mustangs have this in as standard? i.e is there any possibility I could get a used one from somewhere?

If not, what is the most efficient way to buy/build one? It seems to be difficult to buy new as they all come fitted with a traction lok which I don't need...

Thank you, Nick
Sponsored

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
All S-550 mustangs have IRS with a super 8.8 rear, and I believe they are all aluminum housings. The torsen T2R was used in the last generation mustangs with a standard 8.8 solid (or live) axle rear housing and are not interchangeable with the newer models.

OP
OP

450nick

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
TVR Chimaera
All S-550 mustangs have IRS with a super 8.8 rear
Thanks for the response! What do you mean by this?? What is IRS and Super 8.8 rear?

I'm looking to put this differential in my project car (not a Mustang) which has a double wishbone independent rear end. What do you think would be the best way to achieve this?

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
IRS is Independent Rear Suspension. The super 8.8 is ford's newest version of the IRS, the standard 8.8 is named because it has an 8.8 inch diameter ring gear. The super version has enough changes that no parts are interchangeable with the older models, hense the super in the name. Also the super is stronger than the older 8.8, all supers use 34 spline axle stubs, the older standard had either 28 or 31 spline axles. You can get a torsen for the super 8.8, it's standard equipment over here if you get the performance pack. Your best option is find a breakers yard that has a 2015+ mustang and get the whole IRS assembly out of it and use the parts you need. If you want a torsen or different gears, you can buy the parts new from ford racing.

Finally, get a torsen over a traction-loc, the trac-loc requires a friction modifier to be added to the gear oil and has wear parts that need replaced periodically. The torsen does not wear out and just needs plain gear oil. Here is a little video that explains how a torsen works

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
2018+ PP auto cars come with them. I did just what you are suggesting. If you're a manual you could always get a 3.73 Torsen and swap gears. The pinion flanges are different in auto, manual and Gt350 cars.

Sponsored

TexasRebel

Gearshifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 YZ GTPP - PP2
All S-550 mustangs have IRS with a super 8.8 rear, and I believe they are all aluminum housings. The torsen T2R was used in the last generation mustangs with a standard 8.8 solid (or live) axle rear housing and are not interchangeable with the newer models.
The 2015-17 Performance Pack GTs came with a 3.73 T2R in an iron housing.

Not all differential carriers were Super 8.8s (the 3.15:1 in the V6 for example).

sabtaj1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 Mustang GT, 1965 Fairlane 500 wagon
Contact my buddy eric at midway mustang in Dewitt Iowa... I am sure he has quite a few. midwaymustang.com/

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
The OP is in the UK, so he might stand a better chance looking over there.

sabtaj1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 Mustang GT, 1965 Fairlane 500 wagon
OP
OP

450nick

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
TVR Chimaera
Thanks guys, all good info.. There are actually very few used Mustang diffs around in the UK (this looks like it may be the right diff but 3.73 ratio so I'd need to change the crown & pinion gears, but it doesn't look very pretty and is quite expensive!) so I think I may as well order a new one from CJ Pony Parts (https://www.cjponyparts.com/ford-pe...iron-with-3-55-gears-2015-2020/p/M400188355B/). While researching a little more, it seems the the WaveTrac differential may be an even better option and isn't much more expensive - does anyone have experience of these? I'm going to be more on a road race track/fast road than I will a drag strip so both the T2R and the wavetrac would work I guess.

Sponsored

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Finally, get a torsen over a traction-loc, the trac-loc requires a friction modifier to be added to the gear oil and has wear parts that need replaced periodically. The torsen does not wear out and just needs plain gear oil. Here is a little video that explains how a torsen works
If I have a car with traction-loc (euro cars don't have torsen) could it be swapped to torsen and what I need to do so ?

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Yes you can, just get a torsen diff and a new set of bearings, then find someone who can do the install

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Care to explain how the 3.15 carrier is different than all the rest?
The carrier/diff itself is unique to match the 3.15 ring and pinion. The Carrier and pinion bearings are the same sized bearings as any other 2015+ Super 8.8.
Sponsored