Sponsored

Differential Issue When Turning Sharp (Dangerous!!!)

Jaymar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaymar
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT/CS - Rapid Red

HolubS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost Premium Plus Coupe in Lightning Blue
My 2018 Ecoboost differential starting grinding when turning slow shortly after the 5 year warranty was up. Dealer installed some friction modifier, which did nothing. They pulled the differential, replaced a $50 clutch pack (and the broken spring) and $800 later it is as quiet as when I bought it.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
My 2018 Ecoboost differential starting grinding when turning slow shortly after the 5 year warranty was up. Dealer installed some friction modifier, which did nothing. They pulled the differential, replaced a $50 clutch pack (and the broken spring) and $800 later it is as quiet as when I bought it.
Ya, but the Torsen doesn't have a clutch pack or preload spring.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
correct but we have yet to ascertain if OP has a PP1 trim CS. It was not available till 21 or perhaps 22.

RazzaRossa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1
Take the Service Manager for a ride and demonstrate the problem, or let him drive it with you in it so he can get a first hand experience, do it in a parking lot though...

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Take the Service Manager for a ride and demonstrate the problem, or let him drive it with you in it so he can get a first hand experience, do it in a parking lot though...
bah humbug, do it in front of an inbound semi and he'll find religion REAL QUICK like. :)

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
The el-cheap-ass S spring in the diff may be sacked or broken.
First, I believe his is a torsen, second, I beat the fook outta my 'el-cheap-ass' s spring diff. Still going strong after 60k & a 3.31 to 3.73 gear swap. Also the great thing about senior cheapo.. it's rebuildable.

OP
OP
LDHunter

LDHunter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
Rapid Red 2022 GT Premium California Special 10sp
correct but we have yet to ascertain if OP has a PP1 trim CS. It was not available till 21 or perhaps 22.
Sorry.... I've had a long day... I bought the car new and according to the invoice it does NOT have the PP1 trim. It was a special order that the purchaser couldn't buy when it came in and I got the opportunity to grab it. Except for this differential problem I LOVE this car.

OP
OP
LDHunter

LDHunter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
bah humbug, do it in front of an inbound semi and he'll find religion REAL QUICK like. :)
I'll pass on that one.... LOL

I DO intend to NOT leave the dealership until at least one of the service techs or the service manager will take a ride with me and let me demonstrate the problem and NO that won't be in front of a semi... :cwl:

Sponsored
OP
OP
LDHunter

LDHunter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
Someone said I had both rear tires spinning. I don't think that's possible because I'm not using near enough power for both tires to spin. What might be happening is that the tire on the outside of the curve is losing traction because it's suddenly getting all the power and that tire is the one with most of the weight on it. That would cause me to suddenly have the rear end whip around on me. Make sense?

Would that be possible? First the inside tire has the power going to it and suddenly the power is transferred to the outside tire? There is some weird shuddering going on in the differential when this is happening. Like a clutch slipping and grabbing and slipping and grabbing.... Make sense?

I keep hoping that the OEM Pirellis will crap out on me. I wish they were under warranty and I could somehow prove that they provide poor traction. I can tell y'all this for sure... In the rain they're really horrible and hydroplane at the drop of a hat or should I say raindrop? ;)

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
1) use throttle control. 2) OEM Pirellis suck. 3) The Traklok diff sucks. Get a Torsen. 4) Don't forget #1.

The Mustang is a car that likes to get loose and sideways at low speeds if you goose it aggressively. The setup is loose and if your car is stock... all the soft ass bushings in the car make it do all sorts of unpredictable things. It sounds like the car or you are not setup for what you're trying to do.

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
And the Torsens are really hard to break too. They aren't really worked on aside from changing the fluid. If it does break you basically just replace the whole diff, but they rarely do break. It's a very reliable very effective type of differential.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
And the Torsens are really hard to break too. They aren't really worked on aside from changing the fluid. If it does break you basically just replace the whole diff, but they rarely do break. It's a very reliable very effective type of differential.
In the moment, I was thinking a broken gear or something, but I bet the diff has nothing to do with it.

I bet there's a bushing that has given up in the rear suspension or the rear camber adjuster is loose or in some way you've got a wheel alignment moving around.

Diffs fail in the safe direction, towards a 1-wheel peel. The only way they fail locked is if you've made damned sure it has failed locked.

Timbuck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2017 s550
interesting problem you have.

i Tend to agree with others stating , how hard it is to get sideways if you only have one wheel spinning. “The old one wheel squealer”.
Add to that OEM tyres suck….. even in the dry if tyres are not up to temp it’s very easy to go sideways under part throttle , once hot you have to “try” to get sideways in dry condition.
maybe it has nothing to do with the diff at all and is a suspension problem as previously mentioned.

Is this happening in wet or dry conditions ???
and in normal drive mode and traction control on ??

good luck with it , hope they sort it out for you.
Sponsored