Carbide

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Race Red w/white stripes Shelby GT350
Nope. I'll drive it and enjoy it.

But....if it someday becomes a "collector", then that will just be a neat little addition to a well enjoyed car 😊
This is my opinion. It WILL always be a special car.

When I said "Yes", I wasn't saying I bought it as an investment as some in this thread are alluding to.
I meant as my own personal collector car.
I have no visions of making big bank on this car.

So everyone having a fit about how much per year people will lose each year on their cars....noted. πŸ˜†

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350

When I said "Yes", I wasn't saying I bought it as an investment as some in this thread are alluding to.

So everyone having a fit about how much per year people will lose each year on their cars....noted. πŸ˜†
I can concede that. I do that a lot with firearms. I'm not as much buying it as an investment opportunity (although firearms are a GREAT store of value as long as you take care of them) but I like collecting certain things....lever action winchesters, Colt revolvers, etc.

If "collector" means you just like having one or more unique and desirable cars to either drive or just to have, then yes.

If "collector" means, I'm going to drool over it like Gollum and the one ring waiting patiently for it to turn into a Mecum/Barret darling where I make a bunch of money, then see previous posts:)

beetle6986

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT, 04 Cobra, 2008 BMW 335
I don't see any of the S550 GTs being much of a collectors car 25 years from now unless it is close to mint condition with low miles. Kind of like the 90s fox bodies. It is hard to find a nice one anymore with low miles. My 2016 might fall into that category some day as it only has 6k miles on it now. However, I plan to drive it more than the previous owner.

GT500s, GT350s, Mach1s, etc. Those cars will be collectors cars.

I consider my 04 Cobra with 38k miles on it to be a bit of a collectors car. When I bought it in 2004, I didn't buy it to be a collectors. I bought it to drive it. The miles stayed fairly low and the car is in excellent connection simply because it was only driven on nice days and I had a daily driver car for most other days.

Sigma6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
02’ 360, 06’ GT, 11’ GT500, 15’ 911, 17’ 350
No.Too many made to be a collector. But it doesn't have to be my daily driver either. :fistbump:
This 100%. Maybe roush Saleen Shelby will be β€œCollectable” but no one currently at driving age today or older will be driving if and when it does happen. So in the meantime, have fun and make it your own. :)

Sponsored

Gnatsum21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Former: GT 21 Roush Twister Orange RIP | ECO 2016
Nope. But I will try to keep it happy and shiny.

Johnnybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 convertible
I didn't buy mine in the hopes it would become a collector car. I did buy it to daily it, so that I could enjoy it every day (unlike a true collector car) until such time that I retire, which I knew was a relatively short horizon when purchasing the car, after which it will become a bit more special, in that it probably won't go out in the rain on purpose and likely will not see any duty in winter, unless it's an emergency. I also bought it with the intent that it would be a long term ownership, and that I would likely have it until either I am no longer allowed to drive or can't get in and out of it.

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
I suppose it depends on what you mean by "collectable"? To me a collectable is something you aquire for its rarity, condition and the value associated with that. Something you can, or could, use on occasion but take great care with because of its value and rarity and maintaining its condition.
To me, your/our Mustangs don't, as yet, fall into any of those categories.
Will they in 50 or more years is another question entirely.
Example, in 1970 my brother-in-law bought a new Camaro Z28 for his wife as a daily driver. She happily drove that car for several years of central Indiana summers and winters. I don't know what the mileage is but they drove it often for several more years. It's now a "special occasion" car and is in excellent, though well used, condition. I believe he paid around $4500 for it then and since it's a great example of the split bumper Camaro and is a one owner numbers matching car it's become quite desirable. He didn't intend that the car be a collectable when he bought it but they both liked it so much that they kept and maintained it all these years.
So, is your convertible a collectable, no not really. Could it be? Given enough time, sure.
But for now it's just a fun car. Love it, drive it, matain it and keep it and who knows?

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
No I didn't, doesn't mean I want to go crazy with the miles and such and I do take care of it. That is just me though. If by chance 20+ years down the road the car is collectable and I still own it than great. Bonus!!!

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Audi S6, 2021 Mach 1 'M1985'
i think someday my car will be pretty desirable. unfortunately for any potential buyer out there it wont be for sale :)
the miles will stay low (1,500 in the first year) as my weather isnt mustang friendly from nov - april
i put a lot of time into keeping the car as nice as possible and will pass it on to my son when he is old enough to drive.

Sponsored

Ole Texan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
2018 Gt, got it to drive. 10230 miles so far. GTs not likely to be collector cars. Look back 20 even 30 years, how many mass produced collector cars do you see?

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
LOL, it's painfully obvious that some of you guys haven't been pricing pristine Fox GTs lately....

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
LOL, it's painfully obvious that some of you guys haven't been pricing pristine Fox GTs lately....
As in, 30+ year old cars? Sure. Run the numbers on what the car costs now, what it would have cost you in 1993 (or before) and how much you'd have to pay each year to keep it tagged/maintained/insured. Then compare that $1 in 1993 is equivalent to about $2.71 now.

So if you bought a Fox in 1993 for $10k, even if we went on the low end (not even indexed) at $1k/year in upkeep and storage, if your Fox is worth less than $56,100.00, you lost money.

Now compare and contrast that to $10k initially invested in virtually ANYTHING in 1993, with $1k annual contribution each year (so $39,000 in principal), you'd be hard pressed to find any run of the mill investment that doesn't blow $56,100.00 current value out the water.

Cars, unless they're really old, really obscure and highly unique are a terrible investment for a very long time.

You could run the same exercise for say the Ford Bronco (which is WILDLY popular right now). It took nearly 50 years before all the money you would have to sink in one finally starts to climb and pay you back. Forget about comparing it to an alternative investment.

BombZombie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay Adam
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby Super Snake

I think you have a good take on it then πŸ€™ To each their own, but I'll never understand keeping a car pristine and low mileage, and never enjoying it. No judgement against others for doing that either...just not my jam.

My uncle passed away last year and he had a 2004 Lemans Edition Z06 that he purchased brand new. It had 6000 miles on it when he passed. I know he took it on trips and such, and enjoyed them. But learning that he had such low miles on it (and passed away rather quickly and unexpectedly) was my notice to enjoy my cars and create memories with them.

I will never collect a car for someone else to enjoy later on.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
As in, 30+ year old cars? Sure. Run the numbers on what the car costs now, what it would have cost you in 1993 (or before) and how much you'd have to pay each year to keep it tagged/maintained/insured. Then compare that $1 in 1993 is equivalent to about $2.71 now.

So if you bought a Fox in 1993 for $10k, even if we went on the low end (not even indexed) at $1k/year in upkeep and storage, if your Fox is worth less than $56,100.00, you lost money.

Now compare and contrast that to $10k initially invested in virtually ANYTHING in 1993, with $1k annual contribution each year (so $39,000 in principal), you'd be hard pressed to find any run of the mill investment that doesn't blow $56,100.00 current value out the water.

Cars, unless they're really old, really obscure and highly unique are a terrible investment for a very long time.

You could run the same exercise for say the Ford Bronco (which is WILDLY popular right now). It took nearly 50 years before all the money you would have to sink in one finally starts to climb and pay you back. Forget about comparing it to an alternative investment.
Oh, I get it. I'm currently working on buying another piece of property - that's an investment.

I was referencing the comment above that "GTs not likely to be collector cars". Everything has its day if properly cared for. I'm currently looking for the right Fox-body, and I'm astounded at prices.
Sponsored