#1ford

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2021 mustang gt premium convertble antimatter blue
Vehicle Showcase
I purchased a new 2021 mustang gt convertble , I truly believe that I am planning on keeping this car as long as I can . Just wondering if any one else plans on keeping their s550 mustang as a collector car ?

6C00A567-6224-4DCC-A594-464866884968.jpeg
Sponsored

13GetThere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lynn
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP2 Magnet Grey
No and yes.
Cars are poor investments, so no.
Mine is a little on the rare side, I plan on keeping it a long time, and the ICE may become rare as well, so it may become a collector, but I'm not counting on it.

Sponsored

trackd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
August
Vehicle(s)
19 GT PP2 (SOLD), 73 240Z RB26DETT
Slim hope, even for the PP2, to be a collector anytime soon, outside of the Shelbys. Don't even have any idea of how many PP2 were made. Maybe in 20+ years as one of the last true NA V8 ICEs....

My 240Z, OTOH, will be 50 yrs old next year, that's finally climbing as collectors.

DarthMalice

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 M0960; AT; Fighter Jet Gray
Not as a collector as I drive it a lot now and plan to keep doing it for a long time. I expect to live out the Rush song Red Barchetta with the way things are looking for the future.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
No, because it's a run of the mill GT and I plan on driving it not just keeping it in the garage.

If it was a 350R or 500...maybe.

Sponsored

TrackMustang

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
With a bit of luck my kid(s) will inherit my mustang when I go.

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
All cars go through a depreciation curve/fall and rise based upon age and exclusivity.

If you've bought a modern era car as an investment, I'm sorry to inform you it won't give you money back until after you're probably long dead.

When you factor in how much recurring costs it takes (storage, maintenance, insurance, etc) and depreciation, it takes decades before a car dips, overcomes sunk/invested recurring costs and then begins to exceed the amount of money you've had to put into it.

Best bet if you're not buying a classic, is to just drive and enjoy the car.

Lot's of guys confusing the weird inflation/covid supply issues with appreciation. All cars have gone stupid crazy pricing in the past 2 years.

Most guys will spend around $2k a year just to insure and maintain a car. That means if you buy a car for $50k, that in 10 years time, not only would it have to exceed inflation (which is insane right now) but inflation+sunk costs (your $10k in maintenance/insurance). That's assuming you didn't drive it and consume/depreciate it.

Given that REAL inflation is around double digits, but let's just assume the government lie of 3.5% average. So any capital up front costs (the cost of the car and taxes, tags, title, etc) would have to exceed 41% JUST to break even with inflation. (meaning if you didn't add 41%, you LOST money). Then add on annual recurring costs.

Pretty soon you begin to realize that an automobile that's not a classic or has a very low supply and a high demand is a TERRIBLE investment.

Buy a car. Drive it. Enjoy it. If you want to make money, invest in something with a shorter horizon.

MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
I don't think a run of the mill S550 like mine is a collector car. When more is known about the S650 I might explore a Mach 1 in one of the new colors or wait and get an S650. I would probably treat either if those more like a collector car.

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
I don't think a run of the mill S550 like mine is a collector car. When more is known about the S650 I might explore a Mach 1 in one of the new colors or wait and get an S650. I would probably treat either if those more like a collector car.
Neither of those will be either, if Ford continues putting out better products. The only noteable exception will be the last generation of large displacement, spark ignition cars. Otherwise, like the 2010-2014 GT500, the Boss, etc...all of those cars people had the SAME idea, but then Ford continues fielding better products and those cars like all others, become terrible INVESTMENTS (compared to what you could make alternatively).

Over a 10 year period, if money you put into it doesn't double AND overcome insurance, tags, maintenance (for 10 years) you've lost money compared to investing it elsewhere.

If you bought a mustang in 2012 for $50k and it's not worth around $90k now, you've LOST money (let alone made any). Inflation is murderous. You'd have been way better off investing $50k in 2012 in equities or real property or precious metals or even low yield stuff like CD's.

It takes decades for cars to become an investment.

Island realty, fine art, CLASSIC CARS, these are all great investments because no one is making any more of them. But for the first few decades, a car has to compete against the next generation as a supply alternative. It's not until the car is so old it becomes socially appealing as a conceded lesser vehicle that it stops competing against new models.