Sponsored

Detailing PP1 Wheels - Tips And Tricks ?

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
OK, fist things first, I know how to clean a wheel ... :like:

What I am interested in, is tips and tricks specific to the PP1 wheels.

They seem to be just at that awkward cross over point of being open enough to show the brakes off quite well, but not quite open enough to get my hand through the spokes easily to do the barrels and brakes etc.

So what tips and tricks are you using and can you recommend any tools ?

If it helps, I snow foam and power jet so I shouldnā€™t have any loose abrasive stuff on the wheels when I start them. Iā€™ve always backed away from wheel brushes as Iā€™ve yet to find one that convinces me it wonā€™t marr the finish. Iā€™m not sure the wheels have the toughest of finishes as I have found slight marring on them that could have only come from the factory or the single wash at the dealers (fortunately they were instructed not to touch the paintwork - to which they obliged).

Cheers for any input :like:

WD :like:
Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
OK, fist things first, I know how to clean a wheel ... :like:

What I am interested in, is tips and tricks specific to the PP1 wheels.

They seem to be just at that awkward cross over point of being open enough to show the brakes off quite well, but not quite open enough to get my hand through the spokes easily to do the barrels and brakes etc.

So what tips and tricks are you using and can you recommend any tools ?

If it helps, I snow foam and power jet so I shouldnā€™t have any loose abrasive stuff on the wheels when I start them. Iā€™ve always backed away from wheel brushes as Iā€™ve yet to find one that convinces me it wonā€™t marr the finish. Iā€™m not sure the wheels have the toughest of finishes as I have found slight marring on them that could have only come from the factory or the single wash at the dealers (fortunately they were instructed not to touch the paintwork - to which they obliged).

Cheers for any input :like:

Honestly no different than any other wheel. Getting them coated significantly reduces the amount of time and effort to clean them. Then all you need is a good set of wheels brushes. Everyone has their favorites. I use these.

https://www.detailedimage.com/DI-Brushes-M51/E-Z-Detail-Brush-P273/Full-Size-S1/

1604872610278.jpeg

SAY WHAT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang Gt
Use a microfiber cloth or a mitt. I would ceramic coat them to make life easier.
Do the prep work (2-4hrs depending on how caked up they are) the time it takes will be paid back later on due to the ease of cleaning them.

As far as chemicals go, id only use a iron remover like Iron X every now and then.
I personally use P&S brake buster on my so called fast maintenance washes.
I have used auto fanatics wheel cleaner and it works really well, just expensive.

Last edited:
OP
OP
WD Pro

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
@DFB5.0 - Your first paragraph of that thread thread made me laugh, so true ... lol. Very useful thread as well thank you :like: I didnā€™t realise wheel brushes had come on so much from the old types I remember and avoid at all costs.

Iā€™ve got the in-laws asking what I want for Christmas and Iā€™ve seen the local store has the Megs versions in, I will go and take a look before putting in the request.

They also sell these that look interesting for the back of the spokes etc, so long as they are not to bulky :

https://www.halfords.com/motoring/c...g/halfords-microfibre-wheel-glove-191373.html

@SAY WHAT - Yeah I will take the time to do them properly. Time is low on the priority list when it comes to doing jobs on cars :like:

I will take the wheels off and do them individually (most likely in the house ... :cwl: ) once I have the jacking rails on.

In the meantime Iā€™m just trying to get them a little better than when they arrived, hereā€™s an extract from my build thread to give you an idea of my starting point :

Bad news - Revenge of the ford car cleaner (I will not say detailer ...) ? I do wonder if he took a dislike to the instruction not to touch the paint ... ?

I suspect this is an old school acidic wheel cleaner that has been sprayed and left to dry ?

83-B89-A3-B-DA88-438-B-9456-E67-E8-C2001-C2.jpg

ā€˜Niceā€™ wheel cleaners wonā€™t touch it. Paint cleaners will take it off but it takes ages. Mineral spirits etc wonā€™t touch it.

Resorted to old school wheel cleaner (hydrochloric acid i.e. brick acid) which pretty much instantly removes it. Iā€™ve been doing it in sections every time the car is moved / re parked as I only do about a three spoke section at the bottom to keep well away from wheel nuts and callipers etc. Slowly getting there :

38797-BF8-CCA0-4-DB7-A370-581-D73-E0-DCAE.jpg

There good enough for now, at least until the wheels come off to get all the underseal overspray off them ... (mostly the backs).

Sponsored

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
@DFB5.0 - Your first paragraph of that thread thread made me laugh, so true ... lol. Very useful thread as well thank you :like: I didnā€™t realise wheel brushes had come on so much from the old types I remember and avoid at all costs.

Iā€™ve got the in-laws asking what I want for Christmas and Iā€™ve seen the local store has the Megs versions in, I will go and take a look before putting in the request.

They also sell these that look interesting for the back of the spokes etc, so long as they are not to bulky :

https://www.halfords.com/motoring/car-cleaning/wheel-and-tyre-cleaning/halfords-microfibre-wheel-glove-191373.html

@SAY WHAT - Yeah I will take the time to do them properly. Time is low on the priority list when it comes to doing jobs on cars :like:

I will take the wheels off and do them individually (most likely in the house ... :cwl: ) once I have the jacking rails on.

In the meantime Iā€™m just trying to get them a little better than when they arrived, hereā€™s an extract from my build thread to give you an idea of my starting point :

I have used a similar mitt on wheels before. Works well but I got sick of putting it on / taking it off.

c.jpg

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Honestly no different than any other wheel. Getting them coated significantly reduces the amount of time and effort to clean them. Then all you need is a good set of wheels brushes. Everyone has their favorites. I use these.

https://www.detailedimage.com/DI-Brushes-M51/E-Z-Detail-Brush-P273/Full-Size-S1/

1604872610278.jpeg

This type gets into the barrel of the rim nicely. I would suggest not using any brush that chucks in a drill.

Gets hung in a crevice or tight area, the next seen is a scratch . That asinine power ball comes to mind, unless one is selling wheels.

A full bristled brush of the type seen Is the ticket. Have a similar design, without the exposed tip.

Clean the wheels first and rinse often as the rest of the car is washed.

my .02

BTW
"wheel brushes as Iā€™ve yet to find one that convinces me it wonā€™t marr the finish."

Let me put your mind to rest, you are looking at a non clear coated 10in, aluminum wheel. 15 years old, cleaned with a brush.

DSC_0008.jpeg

Wash the wheel cold, do not let the cleaner stand and dry.

Wheel finishes are very easy to keep up, don't hit the curb, careful who changes your tires, would not suggest Wall Mart LOL

Here is the front wheel type and age, and care 3.5 in.

DSCN1732.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
WD Pro

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Just a quick update - Megs wheel brushes and a thin noodle mitt have been sent to Father Christmas :like:

In the meantime, after a paint shopping trip to the DIY store with my daughter, I came home with this - my old wheel chemical brush and the new one :

57892-B3-A-0-A8-C-4630-B52-A-66365-A3-CEE07.jpg

The new one is long, the black parts are rubber, and the end cap is seamless stainless with rolled in ends. Even so, a bit of heat shrink should minimise any accidents :

645-D7784-CD7-B-4158-95-E7-C8357-DD4-E851.jpg

Iā€™ve still not had the wheels off, but this thing allows me to get chemicals right to the back with ease :

02-A67348-377-B-4345-A6-B7-F6877-C6939-ED.jpg

B1940586-61-F7-46-BC-B71-C-D0166-FF53904.jpg

All the staining that ford left for me is gone, now I just need to work on the underseal overspray ...

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
Just a quick update - Megs wheel brushes and a thin noodle mitt have been sent to Father Christmas :like:

In the meantime, after a paint shopping trip to the DIY store with my daughter, I came home with this - my old wheel chemical brush and the new one :

57892-B3-A-0-A8-C-4630-B52-A-66365-A3-CEE07.jpg

The new one is long, the black parts are rubber, and the end cap is seamless stainless with rolled in ends. Even so, a bit of heat shrink should minimise any accidents :

645-D7784-CD7-B-4158-95-E7-C8357-DD4-E851.jpg

Iā€™ve still not had the wheels off, but this thing allows me to get chemicals right to the back with ease :

02-A67348-377-B-4345-A6-B7-F6877-C6939-ED.jpg

B1940586-61-F7-46-BC-B71-C-D0166-FF53904.jpg

All the staining that ford left for me is gone, now I just need to work on the underseal overspray ...

Nice! I just updated my wheel brush too.

My well used old one has made way for a Chemical Guys jobbie.

nov171.jpg

nov174.jpg

nov175.jpg

nov176.jpg

I have made the decision to not to buy anymore wooden handled detailing brushes, they just don't last in a wet environment of wheel cleaning.

teetoppz28

Walking on the dark side
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 400a PP1
And I thought I was OCD! My wife complains about the extra time I take when I clean the barrels of my PP2 wheels! :cwl:

Sponsored
OP
OP
WD Pro

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
And I thought I was OCD! My wife complains about the extra time I take when I clean the barrels of my PP2 wheels! :cwl:
PP2 wheels would be breeze to detail !

larr12

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alberto
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang PP1
Auto Fanatic wheel cleaner and P&S Brake Buster are great and safe products for the wheels.

OP
OP
WD Pro

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Well it's been Christmas, which means my wheels tools are here - along with a few other car related bits :like:

ADE08-C94-73-BD-43-C6-AE51-ABCC3-DB1-FC0-F.jpg

HeelToeHero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT PP, 05 focus st
I've always hated how long it takes to clean the pp1 rims. Good riddance

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
I've always hated how long it takes to clean the pp1 rims. Good riddance
That's a pathetic, and ridiculous statement, you're just a lazy cat. The wheels are not the problem here it's the owner driver.

LMAO
Sponsored