Sponsored

Decision Time - upgrade

newmoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Cobra, 10 SS, 12 392, 12 5.0
Ok have an opportunity to purchase a very low mileage 2020 GT500, CFP with Painted Stripes for 24k and my 2020 Base. I'm not really a track guy but I do love the CF upgrades over the Base model. My Base has approximately 1500 more miles than the CFP.

Those who have made the jump was it worth it? What do you folks think about the additional 24k, fair?
Sponsored

OF5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2022 Shelby GT500 CFTP
Assuming your base model has the same options as the CFTP car, minus painted stripes, then it sounds reasonable. The painted stripes and CFTP are $28K.

Last edited:

biminiLX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 and a few others
Yes that seems fair if you want a CFTP car. The delta between the two will likely continue to widen from its current point IMO.
And as stated the $18500 CFTP option and $10000 painted stripes gives you a $4500 savings :)
-J

Chris2020GT500

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.careeup.tech
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 / 2021 Jaguar SVR / 2019 TrackHawk
The deal is good as far as numbers, obviously the CFTP has several upgrades and from what I hear, it rides a bit rougher on the road (personally, fine with me!). From what you describe, the car has the makings of being highly sought after.

When I found mine, I also found a black CFTP, which somedays I regret not picking up. Although, I am very happy with my base which is optioned out, and I bought it without any ADM.

The CFTP will increase in value, that is another bonus, and at some point, I plan on purchasing one to sit right next to my base.

Ninjak

Posting from the Shadows
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 2019 Harley Davidson F150 68 GTA
Interesting. I went for the base model I have because it had all the options I wanted. I was wary of the CF rims, and the wing was not a must have. Though cool, I did not need to have it. is the 24k being added to the loan you already have ? I would say with lower miles, and what the wing and rims go for alone, I guess it would not be a bad deal. As long as you are not losing a option that you like or have, go for it.

Sponsored

OP
OP
newmoon

newmoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Cobra, 10 SS, 12 392, 12 5.0
Been thinking the same thing. While all the extras are really nice, the color of the CFTP is not really my favorite. I like to drag race, went yesterday and had a great time, so I would also need to budget for another set of rims for the CFTP. I told the dealer I need another 3k to make it financially good for me. No response so I guess that is a big no.

EF300

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350, 2020 GT500 CFTP
I’ve been driving on my stock CFTP rims 4600 miles no issues . Just be careful and you will be just fine . Definitely don’t buy that car if you’re not gonna drive it with the carbon wheels. That the defeats the whole purpose imo.

C6CFE2E2-3F83-40F4-B6BF-A09071C0EBB2.jpeg

JCDriller

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jerad
Vehicle(s)
97 Cobra, 2001 Saleen, 2003 Cobra, 2020 GT500 CFTP
I’ve been driving on my stock CFTP rims 4600 miles no issues . Just be careful and you will be just fine . Definitely don’t buy that car if you’re not gonna drive it with the carbon wheels. That the defeats the whole purpose imo.
Definitely agree. They are just so nice! I had a sweet set of signature wheels made and before I installed them I sold them to a friend, I just couldn't get rid of the CF wheels. Now I am going to have a set of Bead lock SV107s made for the rear, but I'm keeping the CF wheels up front. Hoping that combo goes well together.

UpACurb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R 2019 Roush F150 20 Explorer

C6CFE2E2-3F83-40F4-B6BF-A09071C0EBB2.jpeg
Gt350r owner peeking my head in
11k miles on my carbon fiber wheels with no issues.... go ask the gt350 guys.... not sure who started the don't drive on carbon fiber wheels trend but there are tons of us on with no issues

Just took a 1400 mile road trip on carbon fiber wheels and sport cup 2s and was great .... recaros were comfortable

I just don't parallel park with mine lol

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
..but there are tons of us on with no issues
Just curious Brent, what is the clearance between the caliper and the front wheel on your vehicle? In any event, I hope you have continued success on the OEM wheels/tires.

I had about 3/16" and already had caliper marks from a couple rocks that fortunately, did not cut the CF barrel. If you have a good bit more clearance, that's a seriously good thing. I got tired of worrying about them and honestly, I prefer light-colored wheels over black.

Sponsored

EF300

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350, 2020 GT500 CFTP
Yeah the front caliper clearance is super tight. I have some rock marks on the back of my calipers as well. That being said you cannot see them unless you take the wheel off. Additionally the plasma liner in the inner front wheel seems to protect the carbon fiber not only from heat but also from rock debris going over the caliper. I don’t have any noticeable damage to the inner liner or carbon fiber barrel in the distribution of the rock marks along the caliper.

Fastoldman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
2021 Iconic Silver Mach 1, 13 Viper GTS, 22 Ram CC
Ex GT350 owner , Boss 302S racecar, and current Mach 1 owner with the comment about running on your CF wheels. I think the bulk of the comments about not driving on them was based more on the folks who track their cars. I know when I sold these beasts ( retired ) it was frustrating when one would come in damaged from shipping and the wait for a replacement was insane. The cost of course is major high rent, but getting a replacement one is also a concern. For those who track their cars many have seen track rash, pits , etc. so with some of the ultra lite wheels out there, a lot of the track rats suggested replacing them for the track. I still think that is a good idea since I have seen some issues, but driving them on the street does not seem like a concern at all. Just my observation as to why many may have said not to drive on them, it is likely primarily based by those who encountered track issues --- they are sturdy enough, it is just the typical damage one sees when doing Time Trials, HPDEs, etc.

Polski

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marek
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP2 401A
Vehicle Showcase
How much did they offer you for your car? I am looking for a 500 now... :)

Fastoldman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
2021 Iconic Silver Mach 1, 13 Viper GTS, 22 Ram CC
Great question, Polski, as Forums are a great place often to sell or buy one's car. The OP will have to ascertain the value of his tax break, but you two may be able to get together. I recently sold my BossS on a Forum and have done so with other vehicles in the past --never hurts to ask.