Did I make the wrong decision?

MadMax

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2021 Antimatter Blue GT500 CFTP
This may have been a topic of before and apologize if it’s a repost. I’ve ordered a GT500 but I keep doubting that did I make the right choice. Before the new GT500 came out I was going to purchase a 350 maybe a 350r but really liked the upgrades that the new 500 had. I’ve never had an automatic mustang and have always had manuals. I know there are several here that have a 350 or have had in the past. I am really buying this for the driving experience as I’ll never track the car. Just a fun daily driver on occasion. Anyways I’m just trying to get some feedback from guys about driving an automatic and I know the DCT isn’t a true automatic. I watch a lot of rattis ride and from his experience he’s driven DCT and manuals and prefers the manual all day long and I know that is entirely opinion. I appreciate any thoughts that you guys may have on this. Thanks!
Sponsored

jvandy50

H3249
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, 18 ZL1-1LE
I’m with ya on this. Waiting to hear from many of these guys to give us some objective and subjective comparisons on DCT vs manual.

Ablaze

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Vehicle(s)
2020 TO CFTP, 2013 SBY Boss 302
I don't think anyone is going to really be able to answer that question for you especially until the embargo is lifted and/or 'regular people' get their hands on the car. Even then, I've found the true reviews don't come out until a year or two later when the all 'shiny' wears off and people feel they can share their opinions without fierce reprisal.

I'll tell you all my mustangs in the pasts have been manuals and I also ordered a new GT500. I'll still be daily driving a manual so my love for it isn't gone. That said this is an opportunity to experience something new and semi-exotic from a performance point of view so I'm going to take it and enjoy it for what it's worth. I'm pretty confident it's not going to be bad, probably great, and at worst.. just different. We shall see.

Viper32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustabg GT Convertible
I think you will love the Auto. The new 10 speed does well. If you feel the need use the paddles and pretend you have a manual. Best of both worlds to me.

Sponsored

OH3Cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Cobra Convertible
I have an 03 Cobra and an 02 Miata, so i get manuals. The Miata clutch is like a lightswitch and the Cobra feels like leg press day. Looking forward to a great GT car in the 500 and the best of both worlds. If it was a normal auto I'd be ho hum about it but a Tremec DCT with wet clutches should be incredible and will separate this car from "most Muscle" cars.

V00D00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500
I have an 03 Cobra and an 02 Miata, so i get manuals. The Miata clutch is like a lightswitch and the Cobra feels like leg press day. Looking forward to a great GT car in the 500 and the best of both worlds. If it was a normal auto I'd be ho hum about it but a Tremec DCT with wet clutches should be incredible and will separate this car from "most Muscle" cars.
If it didnt have a dct, id be driving an AIM 850R 991.1 PDK right now

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I think if you plan to drive it daily, you will hate life with no manual. If it's a car for special occasions and occasional quick drives, my best guess is you will love it.

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
Hack: Different strokes, as they say but for me, it would be the daily driving that sours me on a manual. Not that I drive my first and only Mustang daily, most definitely not. It's a '14 with 8400 miles.

And, I don't think I will miss "banging gears" in the new vehicle either because the paddles will do the job just fine and hopefully, no clutches to replace.

As I say, different strokes.

ChuckXX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
2020 SHELBY GT 500
Personally for me, I live in a city of 904,000 people and there's no way on earth that I would ever buy a "manual" tranny. It never fails some dumbass on a hill at the red light will pull up right behind you and be about 3" off your rear bumper. For the reason that we live in a world of dumbasses I will never own a manual in the city. Maybe if I lived in a small town but even then I doubt it.

Sponsored

jvandy50

H3249
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, 18 ZL1-1LE
Personally for me, I live in a city of 904,000 people and there's no way on earth that I would ever buy a "manual" tranny. It never fails some dumbass on a hill at the red light will pull up right behind you and be about 3" off your rear bumper. For the reason that we live in a world of dumbasses I will never own a manual in the city. Maybe if I lived in a small town but even then I doubt it.
my last 2 manuals have had hill assist(kind of annoying though), you may be aware of that, but just saying if it's your only concern they've thought of that too lol.

stixxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Mustang, 2012 Mustang
All my mustangs have been manuals, but I can tell you from experience that this car is really fun to drive. Driving with paddles in track mode results in quick shifts both up and down. And you almost need the paddles to keep up with the acceleration if you put your foot all the way down. Blips the throttle for smooth downshifts. Exhaust pops/burps/bangs on the up-shift if you hold RPM before shifting...that never gets old.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
The third pedal debate is back again, huh?

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2022 F150 PowerBoost
Vehicle Showcase
I have almost always driven manual mustangs. It wasn't until I started supercharging them that I went automatic. Don't get me wrong, it was fun having a supercharged 700 RWHM manual car, it was the upgrades needed for the driveline that ruined drivability for me. With that much power, it is way more enjoyable, and usable to have an automatic. The DTC should be a game changer on top of that.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
This may have been a topic of before and apologize if it’s a repost. I’ve ordered a GT500 but I keep doubting that did I make the right choice. Before the new GT500 came out I was going to purchase a 350 maybe a 350r but really liked the upgrades that the new 500 had. I’ve never had an automatic mustang and have always had manuals. I know there are several here that have a 350 or have had in the past. I am really buying this for the driving experience as I’ll never track the car. Just a fun daily driver on occasion. Anyways I’m just trying to get some feedback from guys about driving an automatic and I know the DCT isn’t a true automatic. I watch a lot of rattis ride and from his experience he’s driven DCT and manuals and prefers the manual all day long and I know that is entirely opinion. I appreciate any thoughts that you guys may have on this. Thanks!
Yes absolutely! I think you made the wrong choice.
Sponsored