Deciding on an MGW Shifter

scottso

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Just FYI for anyone going with the MGW: They are back-ordered for 4 weeks from the date you place your order. I would assume any of their distributors are also out of stock.
Can confirm. I ordered mine 4/15 and have yet to get a shipping confirmation.
Sponsored

opengl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1 400A 6MT
Ordered 3/25, shipped today

8GTOKLR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 DHG Bullitt
Yes for some reason there is a 3-4 week wait. No clue why they dont have inventory on the shifter they sell the most of

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
Just to share. I've had mine for about 5k miles. It has always been positive in the gates, but when I first put it in, it definitely had a tight, draggy feel as I would shift. All the pivots feel like they've freed up now, and it's butta as soon as there's a little heat in the transmission. Any issue when cold is strictly an MT82 thing. The shifter is money.

opengl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1 400A 6MT
Man this install is no joke. Spent 6 hours on it yesterday, got it done enough to lower the car but I still need to finish putting the interior back together. Getting that top pivot bolt out/in is a complete nightmare. I imagine on a lift it wouldn't be nearly as bad as you could get much better leverage pulling the back of the tranny down to make room, but on jack stands it sucked. Definitely a 2 person job. I had to basically hang on it with all my weight while bouncing, and I had my wife work the bolt out then eventually back in with the same method when I was installing the new one. All while straddling the exhaust and driveshaft. If I had to do it again I'd put considerable thought into pulling the driveshaft and/or exhaust to make room.

Just rowing through the gears though it already feels amazing. Going to try and finish it up tonight and take it out. 1/2 and reverse lockout was perfect as delivered, didn't need any adjustment.

Sponsored

Chomorro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 6SPD Premium PP1
Man this install is no joke. Spent 6 hours on it yesterday, got it done enough to lower the car but I still need to finish putting the interior back together. Getting that top pivot bolt out/in is a complete nightmare. I imagine on a lift it wouldn't be nearly as bad as you could get much better leverage pulling the back of the tranny down to make room, but on jack stands it sucked. Definitely a 2 person job. I had to basically hang on it with all my weight while bouncing, and I had my wife work the bolt out then eventually back in with the same method when I was installing the new one. All while straddling the exhaust and driveshaft. If I had to do it again I'd put considerable thought into pulling the driveshaft and/or exhaust to make room.

Just rowing through the gears though it already feels amazing. Going to try and finish it up tonight and take it out. 1/2 and reverse lockout was perfect as delivered, didn't need any adjustment.
Sounds like I might not be trying this on my own haha. Wife wont lift a finger to help me wrench

MD_

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2016 Premium w/ Performance Package
Loosen the clamps to the Y pipe and everything drops another 1-2 inches. I was having a hard time getting clearance, did the above, and was able to finish it up drama free. Gives the side bolt enough clearance without hitting the tunnel. The top bolt spins to a certain point then needs to be pulled up to get it out. If you find yourself still spinning it after 5 minutes, and it isn't out, give it a yank up.

opengl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1 400A 6MT
Yeah that top bolt is hard to "feel" when its out, it barely has any threads.

Got it all buttoned up. Really liking it so far. Haven't driven in complete anger yet, but positive impressions so far. I actually have confidence third gear will be there when accelerating hard, rather than hitting a brick wall. You really feel each gear and KNOW you're engaged. Everything is just less vague feeling and incredibly solid. Essentially zero movement in the shifter outside actual shifting motions.

Only negatives so far: push down to reverse takes considerable effort, same for getting over to fifth/sixth. But I'll get used to it and I'm sure it'll break in some.

The adapter for my factory knob fit great and looks really nice. I like the black compared to the factory silver color.

I have the standard height race spec shifter and it's MAYBE half an inch lower than stock. Perfect for me and what I was looking for.

IMG_1609.jpeg

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase

Really? I don't remember it being bad at all (jack stands - by myself as normal). So I looked up my thread....Did you remove the center driveshaft support bracket?

Or you talking about the 13mm bolt? I got that one from inside the car with a stubby low profile ratchet.

opengl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1 400A 6MT
Really? I don't remember it being bad at all (jack stands - by myself as normal). So I looked up my thread....Did you remove the center driveshaft support bracket?

Or you talking about the 13mm bolt? I got that one from inside the car with a stubby low profile ratchet.
Nope didn't remove the driveshaft support bracket, just the transmission crossmember. Maybe that would have helped lower it more.

The 13mm bolt up top didn't give me much trouble. This was the long 10mm pivot bolt that comes in from the passenger side and runs into the transmission tunnel until you pull down on everything enough to get clearance.

Sponsored

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
Nope didn't remove the driveshaft support bracket, just the transmission crossmember. Maybe that would have helped lower it more.

The 13mm bolt up top didn't give me much trouble. This was the long 10mm pivot bolt that comes in from the passenger side and runs into the transmission tunnel until you pull down on everything enough to get clearance.

Yeah - I had to look at my post, I dropped that bracket and that bolt was no problem. It literally took me longer to get the damn boot on than it did to install the shifter.

opengl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1 400A 6MT
It's funny you mention the boot as I read that is another spot where a lot of people struggle. I got it on in a couple minutes. Left the waxy coating on it, didn't rinse it off or add silicon grease or anything. Go figure.

SHOdaddy68

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daryl
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP Premium w/Recaro
UPDATE:

My shifter took 6+ weeks to arrive after I ordered it. I called MGW a few times and they were always nice and explained that the shifter is in really high demand and they were having issues sourcing some of the raw materials they need to build it.

I had it installed by a local trans shop while my MT82 was being re-built under my extended warranty. I didn't get the Calimer because initially the shipping was going to take way too long and the cost to ship back and forth to the west coast would have increased the cost quite a lot.

I have about 100 miles on the new trans and shifter now. The trans is still a little notchy when cold but the 2nd & 3rd gear grinding is gone. (I had the shop fill it with Redline fluid).

I have to say, initially I was not impressed with the MGW but as I drive it more it's getting better. I can definitely tell this is not the stock shifter. It feels much stiffer and actually requires more effort to operate. I did expect this but not to the extent I am experiencing. Getting it into reverse absolutely takes more effort than stock but I'm getting used to it. I think they have such tight manufacturing tolerances that a "break-in" period is required. The one thing that I am really concerned with is the 5th to 6th gear change. The shifter is so tight that it's actually easier to hit 4th unless I am really pushing it to the side to get it into 6th gear.

Anyone have similar issues or recommendations?

DRKHORS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
'11 Mustang, '17 Mustang, '18 F150, '23 Mustang GT
The centering springs will loosen up over time, and you will get used to keeping pressure on it for the sixth gear shift. Its those same springs that make the 2-3 upshift sooo much better than OEM.

Reactions: dx2

LIGHTNING350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 shelby Gt350
Vehicle Showcase
My question is this. I talked to mgw and they said with the included pad for heat and noise reduction plus some Dynamat and polyurethane bushings that there is no added noise or vibration. I find this hard to believe being the shifter is mounted straight to the transmission. I really want to buy this shifter but I am not using it for racing or track use. This car is just for Street driving fun. Can anyone confirm that mgw is on point with this and not mistaken, is there added vibration and Noise with the shifters? Also am I going to regret getting this shifter for a daily Street Driver?
About to pull the trigger on a Xspec standard handle (21% reduction) and pair it with my half pound Raceseng translucent blue shift knob that I paid half of what the shifter will cost for. Lol

**Posted this it two places**
Sponsored