2018 GT Premium MT82 Race Red

MD_

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2016 Premium w/ Performance Package
About 95% done installing my Xspec Standard. I called MGW for guidance as I didn't want a super low profile; I was looking for similar height to the stock shifter and, after testing before buttoning up, I can already tell it's lightyears better than the stock unit. The throws are short and concise. There's no doubt when you're in gear.

Regardless of what you go with, the pieces are a work of art. I think the biggest eye opener is the difference in linkage. The MGW piece is a stout one piece design and the Ford OEM mess has 4-5 different points of swivel.

DRKHORS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
'11 Mustang, '17 Mustang, '18 F150, '23 Mustang GT
About 95% done installing my Xspec Standard. I called MGW for guidance as I didn't want a super low profile; I was looking for similar height to the stock shifter and, after testing before buttoning up, I can already tell it's lightyears better than the stock unit. The throws are short and concise. There's no doubt when you're in gear.

Regardless of what you go with, the pieces are a work of art. I think the biggest eye opener is the difference in linkage. The MGW piece is a stout one piece design and the Ford OEM mess has 4-5 different points of swivel.
And their customer service is awesome! George and his crew seem like good people.

I wont buy another brand shifter as long as they are in business after how I was treated.

MD_

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
And their customer service is awesome! George and his crew seem like good people.

I wont buy another brand shifter as long as they are in business after how I was treated.
100%

Called twice with questions and they always answered and gave detailed responses. I think I'm just most impressed with how well everything went in. The specs are just dead nuts on. It took me quite a while to get the stock unit out but the MGW went in and bolted up in less than an hour.

Sponsored

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I get a little envious when reading these threads, but unfortunately, any more NVH than stock is a deal-breaker for me, and nobody makes a shifter that allows us to have our cake and eat it too, so will keep the stock shifter :). Fortunately, I don't drive my car hard, so the stock shifter is actually quite good when done leisurely (better than I expected), so I'm a happy camper :).

krishelnino

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Krishna
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium MT82 Race Red
I get a little envious when reading these threads, but unfortunately, any more NVH than stock is a deal-breaker for me, and nobody makes a shifter that allows us to have our cake and eat it too, so will keep the stock shifter :). Fortunately, I don't drive my car hard, so the stock shifter is actually quite good when done leisurely (better than I expected), so I'm a happy camper :).
no significant increase in NVH, if anything barely noticeable. The difference in shifting makes you wish you've done it sooner :)

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
I had an MGW on my 97 and it was amazing. I sold the car two weeks after buying my 19. It didn't run but I hopped into it one last time for nostalgia and immediately thought "wait, why does this shifter feel 100x better than my new car? Oh, duh, I bought the MGW." The cheap speakers I got at best buy also sounded better... but I digress. MGW makes great shifters. Every shift just feels amazing and that sound it makes when rowing through the gears is cool. It's a feeling like when you first start up your car, after finally getting that perfect exhaust set up.

Despite that, I haven't gotten one for my 19( roll is troll). Partly because I'm lazy and don't feel like installing it, and mostly (this is gonna sound stupid) because I can't decide on a stupid knob. The MGW knob I had on my 97 was perfect for me but they don't seem to make it anymore.

GMONSTAH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
Vehicle Showcase
I think I may take the plunge. I live about 2 hours away from MGW, wonder if they can install it? I'll give 'em a call tomorrow.

8GTOKLR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 DHG Bullitt
In spirit of this thread I am getting the MGW Xspec STD. Call it preventative maintenance that has the side effect of precise shifting.

Sponsored

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
They no longer do installs.

I think I may take the plunge. I live about 2 hours away from MGW, wonder if they can install it? I'll give 'em a call tomorrow.

Iconicgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2020 mustang gt
I’m having my xspec installed on the 25th. I’ve read on here about changing oil to bg syncro helps clean up shift feel. My car is a 20 gt pp1 with 500 miles. Is that the consensus?

On a side note, I’ll probably have them change the motor oil as well. I planned for 1000 miles, but I’m at the sixth month mark so it should be good timing.

Sorry if this is a thread hijack, I hate to start a thread for each question I come up with.

Last edited:

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
I think you may get varying opinions on which tranny oil and if necessary. The same thing for a 500-mile oil change. Hopefully, you will get to put some miles on it in the next 6 months, so you can feel the difference in the MGW shifter:)

I’m having my xspec installed on the 25th. I’ve read on here about changing oil to bg syncro helps clean up shift feel. My car is a 20 gt pp1 with 500 miles. Is that the consensus?

On a side note, I’ll probably have them change the motor oil as well. I planned for 1000 miles, but I’m at the sixth month mark so it should be good timing.

Sorry if this is a thread hijack, I hate to start a thread for each question I come up with.

MD_

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
I’m having my xspec installed on the 25th. I’ve read on here about changing oil to bg syncro helps clean up shift feel. Is that the consensus?
I did the Calimer cocktail before putting the MGW in. Helped a tad when everything was warmed up but the MGW was the game changer. Nibble from 1-2 and 2-3 is gone and there is no doubt where you are at in the gate. Bit notchy when cold (and probably because I just put it in and it isn't 'broke in' yet per se) but after maybe 5-10 minutes it's a dream.

Also, absolutely no NVH increase compared to stock. Unit is rock solid but does not translate into the shifter; or anywhere else I've noticed.

OP
OP
Zelek

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Nice to see this thread is still going and active. I still have my MGW race spec, low profile shifter and still love it. Still one of the most solid mods I've done to this car. I'm sure I'd have been fine with the X-spec, regular profile as well.
Sponsored