Dealerships really ramping up the BS

MadRabbit

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tobey
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ecoboost
Went in today to get the recall done on my Mustang, the service manager comes out 20 minutes later with this laundry list of "recommended" items to be addressed, what a clown show it was. I had my car there 4 months ago for an oil change, rear shocks replaced (required to pass inspection), yearly inspection.

Hits me with all this...

Says my tires are showing wear and recommends one be replaced (just put brand new winter tires on 500 miles ago back in October)

Says need a new battery, says it should be reading 15 volts, but mine is only reading 14.7.... it's 12 degrees out.

Says I need an oil change, claims my oil is discolored (700 miles since last oil change, that they just did in October...)

Says I need an alignment, it's off by just a bit (um hello, snow tires, I'm not having them aligned for a few months a year of minimal driving)

Says my coolant is a bit low and needs topped off.

Says my fuel system needs flushed.

Says my breaks are worn but within spec, needs replaced.

So I tell him no and pick up my car and leave (after the recall work was done obviously) and I go home and pull in the garage and go to pop the hood, funny thing though, I have hood struts so you can't just drop the hood and have it close, you have to grab the front of the hood and pull it down, now with the weather we have been having (snow, salt etc) if you touch the car most anywhere, you leave prints, but, no prints anywhere.

So the tech never even opened the hood to even know if anything needed done or not.
Also keep in mind they claimed to have checked and found all that in the 20 minutes they had the car this morning, ya ok buddy.

So I check everything and not one thing on the list needed done, not a single one (ok MAYBE the alignment if we are being picky lol) but WOW talk about swinging for the fence here, they wanted to do all that at 165.00 an hour.

Needless to say, never going back.

For those asking it was
Parsons Interstate Ford LLC
In Shippensburg PA
Sponsored

Last edited:

Unas2k5

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Samer
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, 2021 Explorer ,2019 Impala
You should mention their name and leave them public reviews.

glene

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
glen
Vehicle(s)
2023 mustang gt
I had a similar situation a couple years ago on a Corvette. I was doing an Low mileage recall, and they came up with a laundry list of six or seven things just like you. I politely said no, but instead of leaving, I went around the corner to the general managers office and introduced myself. I am a former GM of three dealerships and introduced my
self, the general manager was very nice to sit down with me and discuss my experience. I started out with “you should be ashamed of yourself”..… he was somewhat positive and slightly aghast that it happened, which I certainly don’t believe. But maybe it’ll cause them to change their procedure/protocol and cut this back a bit… Needless to say it was the last time I was in that dealership.

and they are not all that way, another dealership down the road did another recall for me on my second Vette a year later, and did exactly just the recall, and suggested nothing. Overall a very pleasant experience.

Weyland-Yutani

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Mustang GT, '17 Volvo V60 Platinum, '04 E-150
I guess it's worth it if to them if one out of five customers say "OK. Do it". If the other 4 never come back? Well, they were tight-wads anyway.

Sponsored

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
There are honest businesses out there. People gravitate to, covet and sometimes overwhelm them with work.

Dealers often have a lock on an area. Why operate with a culture of, "Let's see what we can take this one for."

Whoever the dealer is, I think we'd all like to know so as to avoid.

5550snotamerc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
s550 eco convertible auto
I had some work done on my appliancemobile at a dealer where I have a good rapport with one of the service managers. I walk in knowing what I am talking about, they don't give me any grief. While I am in the waiting area I overhear them talking to somebody about how their brakes passed inspection but are going to need a $500 service soon, so they may as well get it done now. Very disappointing and made me question going back there.

Crew4991

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Crew
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang, 2006 Viper
Went in today to get the recall done on my Mustang, the service manager comes out 20 minutes later with this laundry list of "recommended" items to be addressed, what a clown show it was. I had my car there 4 months ago for an oil change, rear shocks replaced (required to pass inspection), yearly inspection.

Hits me with all this...

Says my tires are showing wear and recommends one be replaced (just put brand new winter tires on 500 miles ago back in October)

Says need a new battery, says it should be reading 15 volts, but mine is only reading 14.7.... it's 12 degrees out.

Says I need an oil change, claims my oil is discolored (700 miles since last oil change, that they just did in October...)

Says I need an alignment, it's off by just a bit (um hello, snow tires, I'm not having them aligned for a few months a year of minimal driving)

Says my coolant is a bit low and needs topped off.

Says my fuel system needs flushed.

Says my breaks are worn but within spec, needs replaced.

So I tell him no and pick up my car and leave (after the recall work was done obviously) and I go home and pull in the garage and go to pop the hood, funny thing though, I have hood struts so you can't just drop the hood and have it close, you have to grab the front of the hood and pull it down, now with the weather we have been having (snow, salt etc) if you touch the car most anywhere, you leave prints, but, no prints anywhere.

So the tech never even opened the hood to even know if anything needed done or not.
Also keep in mind they claimed to have checked and found all that in the 20 minutes they had the car this morning, ya ok buddy.

So I check everything and not one thing on the list needed done, not a single one (ok MAYBE the alignment if we are being picky lol) but WOW talk about swinging for the fence here, they wanted to do all that at 165.00 an hour.

Needless to say, never going back.
Copy message from the forum, paste in a Google review, add some names and submit.

We give you ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ for your honesty.

Print below image and give to service manager.

1705583204749.png

Freedom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT, '22 Tesla Model 3, '22 F-150 Lightning
Two things: My vehicle normally shows 14.7V and not 15V anyway and the battery is quite new. Second, coolant top off is supposed to be free as part of the ford multipart inspection when they do oil changes.

Whats the dealer, I want to leave a review.

Sponsored

mustangman02232

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford ranger, 1990 Ford F-350, 1997 kenworth
Coolant doesn’t burn, just circulate, if it’s found it’s spot leave it be….

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
....I had my car there 4 months ago for an oil change, rear shocks replaced (required to pass inspection), yearly inspection......
Wut???

There's no way your shocks needed replacing. They lied. Don't have a dealership do your yearly inspection.

And for everyone that's reading this. Get one thing straight, for the 100th time;

The voltage reading on the dash is what THE ALTERNATOR IS PUTTING OUT.

It's NOT what charge the battery has.

So the higher the number, the harder the alternator is working to keep the battery charged. That MAY mean you need a new battery. OR it may mean you need to drive your car more and longer.

glene

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
glen
Vehicle(s)
2023 mustang gt
EXACTLY
WITH THE ENGINE RUNNING, you are reading the alternator
WITH THE ENGINE OFF, you are reading the battery