Damper mode--no detectable change

Point45

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
josh
Vehicle(s)
19 gt350, 05 tacoma, 10 Ducati 1098SF
On my 19 I can tell no difference in damping between comfort and sport unless its a sharp hit.

Ive even tried going over speed bumps in the parking lot to see, track is a noticeable change according to my back.

Bigger change is in the throttle and steering.
Sponsored

fpa1974

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350R
Not sure on a 2019 but on my 2017 the difference was very obvious, first corner you are going to take. Steering feel between modes was also very obviously different. On the 2019 R I have now, I can say the same. The changes are very obvious. Race is stiff enough to be uncomfortable unless road surface is perfect. Sport leans a lot less when taking a corner (this as a way to detect the difference). I now everyone's behind is calibrated differently but the differences are there - for sure :) And you do not have to go to the track to feel them.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
I recall seeing someplace that with the suspension updates, the '19/'20 GT350s have much more subtle changes in stiffness than previous years. I can say in my '20 I don't notice a difference in ride stiffness between normal, sport, and race.
Absolutely a difference on my 20R. I go quickly from normal to track sometimes just to "see" if I can tell. My wife hates track mode - it becomes pretty bumpy on even a flat bridge - the smallish bumps really come through.

ChipG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chip
Vehicle(s)
'20 GT350/'95 F250/'65 Fastback/'96 Cobra Project
Absolutely a difference on my 20R. I go quickly from normal to track sometimes just to "see" if I can tell. My wife hates track mode - it becomes pretty bumpy on even a flat bridge - the smallish bumps really come through.
To be fair, I don't use track mode on the street, just sport. I'll have to try flipping between normal and track and see if I can notice anything.

Sponsored

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
To be fair, I don't use track mode on the street, just sport. I'll have to try flipping between normal and track and see if I can notice anything.
Like others have said - track is more noticeable - but I certainly feel Sport. If

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
I'll add this - this is supposed to be _adaptive_ suspension - while there is difference at any time between Normal and Track, it is also speed / G dependent. At slow speed and low (longitudinal/lateral) acceleration differences will be smaller. I have no idea how OEM VDM calibration looks like so might be talking out of my ass, but shouldn't be that far off.

milner_7

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.highdefinitionautodetail.ca
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Deep Impact Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Surprised all of you aren't always in "sport" unless you are on track. I never use normal.
What's this Normal mode you all speak of LOL

OP
OP

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Great perspectives. Seems like a few can sense a difference between normal and both other modes, as I could on my 2016. Most, however, it seems cannot sense a difference under typical road conditions. Obviously non-scientifically drawn conclusion, but informative. The dealer I use is several hours away, so I don't plan to make a special visit, but will include it (again) when I take it to get some other things addressed. Will share whatever comes of it.

Sponsored

Hawkeye1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350, Tesla Mdl X, 911 GT3, V90, 911S, Z4
Has anyone experienced a problem with the damper mode?

If so, how did you detect and correct the issue?

With my previous car (2016) the difference between normal and sport was very noticeable. In this car (2019) I can't detect a difference even in track mode, much less in sport.

It's been this way since I got the car. I had the dealer check it out last year, and they said they could not find anything wrong. They're experienced and trustworthy, but I don't believe they did a thorough check.

Back then, I dismissed it as "probably just me," "maybe it has to do with the 2019+ suspension upgrades," "oh yeah, I guess it feels different in sport mode."

However, after cycling through a few times recently, I'm convinced it's not responding. The indicator/icon works perfectly, but no detectable change.

Thanks in advance for any insights.
I definitely notice the difference between the modes, especially between Track and Normal. Much of my driving is on tight, curvy backroads and if I'm in Normal or even Sport, the car moves vertically substantially more than it does in Track. It's rougher in Track, but the tradeoff is better body control. My wife notices the difference when I'm changing gears. The car doesn't pogo as much in Track as I shift. You've probably already done this, but if you can find a stretch of road with some 'waviness' (repeating, closely spaced undulations) the modes should feel different. The car will be more 'floaty' in Normal, and react more violently in the stiffer modes. All that said, my current car is a 2020, and it feels more supple than the 2016 model I owned earlier. In the older car, when I cycled between the modes I could feel the car stiffen sharply for a moment, before settling into the new mode. The 2020 doesn't do that. There is no immediate change in 'feel' unless I'm on a rough road. Unlike some others who've responded, I do spend time in Normal, especially on the interstate. The car is a great highway cruiser in that mode.

OP
OP

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
All that said, my current car is a 2020, and it feels more supple than the 2016 model I owned earlier. In the older car, when I cycled between the modes I could feel the car stiffen sharply for a moment, before settling into the new mode. The 2020 doesn't do that. There is no immediate change in 'feel' unless I'm on a rough road. Unlike some others who've responded, I do spend time in Normal, especially on the interstate. The car is a great highway cruiser in that mode.
This, I think is the key, and part of my gut tells me it's an intentional difference between the MY15-18 vs. 19+MYs. The other part, obviously, has me wondering if something is wrong with my car :). I've tried different road surfaces, but need to find one that is wavy vice bumpy, like you recommended. Highway speeds throughout Europe are higher than back home, so I tend to use sport mode. With the '16 sport gave me more confidence. With the 19 I can't tell the difference on glass-smooth roads. Again, there is admittedly nothing scientific about my observations. All seat of the pants feel.

mikedahammer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Years ago I went to the track attack in Utah and they had us go about 40 mph or so and turn the wheel to the left and then immediately to the right (like slalom) and you can feel the difference because the car in normal has ton of body roll side to side.

Personally there should be no normal mode.

OP
OP

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Years ago I went to the track attack in Utah and they had us go about 40 mph or so and turn the wheel to the left and then immediately to the right (like slalom) and you can feel the difference because the car in normal has ton of body roll side to side.

Personally there should be no normal mode.
My issue is not with the wheel; it's with the dampers. I stay in sport steering mode at all times.

squid678

Squid678
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT 350, 2020 Explorer ST, 2018 F-150 XLT
Vehicle Showcase
My issue is not with the wheel; it's with the dampers. I stay in sport steering mode at all times.
The changes was not noticeable until I attended the GT350 Track Attack. I drove a 2019, and it is noticeable on a slalom course. I am sure that you will notice if you drive an autocross course and try a different mode on each run. It was entirely noticeable to me (throttle response and dampening) when I changed the mode from Track to Normal.
Sponsored