Damaged infotainment screen

OP
OP

Haas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gt350
Each time I took the car in for a relatively minor issue and it just led to more serious problems after the dealership folk had finished with the "repair". Whiny 3.73 gears led to a driveline vibration that I could never get fixed. An electric chair motor replacement led to a dent in my dash and missing foam in my seat, etc. etc.
Yes, I’m glad this came up as it’s one of my concerns. I skirted around it in the OP when I asked if this would be a big repair or can introduce electrical gremlins. I would hate to trade a small, hard to see, scratch for a new more apparent one.
Sponsored

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
Is this a large repair job? Shouldn't be.

Is there a chance of electrical gremlins from changing this (everything is working fine right now)? Read below.

I may have started rambling there but any advice would be great
Hey @Haas ,

Other aspects of your OP seem have been addressed.

Ford calls the screen you found scratched the Front Control/Display Interface Module (FCDIM). Looks like a caveman could physically remove it, but programming the new display is required. See the pics below.

HOWEVER, getting to it is a bit more involved as it involves removal of the Front Controls Interface Module (FCIM). See my post here:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...re-at-your-own-risk.89612/page-9#post-2898817

Those of us who installed their MGW shifter have removed most, if not all of the parts, to the to the FCDIM short of popping out the FCIM. Easy peasy. Also, it doesn't seem to be much tinkering with the wiring and such, but as I mentioned above, programming is required.

(Do you have skills and tools? Will a dealer give you a programmed display? Have you considered doing your own MGW install? Perfect time to do them both!!)

Good Luck! Congrats on the GT350!! I hope the repair is to your satisfaction.

1 (10).png
2 (7).png

matthewr87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
Yes, I’m glad this came up as it’s one of my concerns. I skirted around it in the OP when I asked if this would be a big repair or can introduce electrical gremlins. I would hate to trade a small, hard to see, scratch for a new more apparent one.
Honestly with my experience this is not something I would go to the dealership with. I would either live with it or buy the parts and replace it myself (however the additional complication is the programming of the module, as in the post above).

So far I've had four issues with my 2018:

First the damaged tire. I took only the wheel/tire to the dealership for the swap. I did not let them touch the car. They managed to slightly scratch the wheel but that was a risk that I accepted going into it and knew it was probably going to happen.

Second, I have an area of peeling paint on the front bumper cover at the seam where the cover meets the wheel arch. I noticed it pre-delivery but it is a minor issue and I chose to live with it. Repainting the bumper cover would have been a horror show; I went through a similar horror show when I attempted to have the aluminum hood edge paint bubbling issue fixed with my 2011. I could have not taken delivery of the 2018 but it was the right car at the right time for the right price.

Third, I had leaks on both ends (reservoir and rad) from my coolant overflow hose. I bought the hose ($60) and the hose clamp tool ($20) and replaced it myself.

Fourth, when taking delivery the front splitter was slightly scratched by a dealership employee. The dealership ordered a replacement and was going to install it. I decided to just keep the new splitter as a spare in case I really mess up the current splitter at some point and will do the install myself.

Fifth, my car being a very late MY 2018, also has the reverse lockout shifter "recall that isn't a recall". No way in hell am I allowing the dealership to do that job.

johnny1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Had new a 16 GT350 and 17 GT350
Honestly with my experience this is not something I would go to the dealership with. I would either live with it or buy the parts and replace it myself (however the additional complication is the programming of the module, as in the post above).

So far I've had four issues with my 2018:

First the damaged tire. I took only the wheel/tire to the dealership for the swap. I did not let them touch the car. They managed to slightly scratch the wheel but that was a risk that I accepted going into it and knew it was probably going to happen.

Second, I have an area of peeling paint on the front bumper cover at the seam where the cover meets the wheel arch. I noticed it pre-delivery but it is a minor issue and I chose to live with it. Repainting the bumper cover would have been a horror show; I went through a similar horror show when I attempted to have the aluminum hood edge paint bubbling issue fixed with my 2011. I could have not taken delivery of the 2018 but it was the right car at the right time for the right price.

Third, I had leaks on both ends (reservoir and rad) from my coolant overflow hose. I bought the hose ($60) and the hose clamp tool ($20) and replaced it myself.

Fourth, when taking delivery the front splitter was slightly scratched by a dealership employee. The dealership ordered a replacement and was going to install it. I decided to just keep the new splitter as a spare in case I really mess up the current splitter at some point and will do the install myself.

Fifth, my car being a very late MY 2018, also has the reverse lockout shifter "recall that isn't a recall". No way in hell am I allowing the dealership to do that job.
I'm glad your mechanically inclined. But no offense but theirs a lot of people that buy new vehicles that aren't and thats what they use warranty for. Not all dealerships are bad. If uncertain about a dealership shop around. You can take it any where you want for warranty work. In my case I had an excellent dealership. Had relationship with owner, and service manager. When ever I needed service he always had the lead mechanic do it be sure its right. Theres other dealerships out there that are just as responsible. And now that I have a new GM truck I have acquired the same relationship with the owner and service department.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Haas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gt350
Ford calls the screen you found scratched the Front Control/Display Interface Module (FCDIM). Looks like a caveman could physically remove it, but programming the new display is required. See the pics below.

HOWEVER, getting to it is a bit more involved as it involves removal of the Front Controls Interface Module (FCIM). See my post here:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...re-at-your-own-risk.89612/page-9#post-2898817

Those of us who installed their MGW shifter have removed most, if not all of the parts, to the to the FCDIM short of popping out the FCIM. Easy peasy. Also, it doesn't seem to be much tinkering with the wiring and such, but as I mentioned above, programming is required.

(Do you have skills and tools? Will a dealer give you a programmed display? Have you considered doing your own MGW install? Perfect time to do them both!!)

Good Luck! Congrats on the GT350!! I hope the repair is to your satisfaction.

1 (10).png

2 (7).png

fantastic Info, thanks so much. I will go through that thread soon.

I have some tools and while I’m an amateur I’ve been willing to do some pretty big home repairs. I did the rod bearings on my e46 m3 on my back with jacks. Though that was a major PITA and finagling the shifter around the lowered transmission for the MGW also sounds like a pain on jacks. Don’t really want to do something like that without a lift. The interior disassembly should be easy though and I would think I would take more time and care than someone trying to beat the allotted paid time.

Honestly with my experience this is not something I would go to the dealership with. I would either live with it or buy the parts and replace it myself (however the additional complication is the programming of the module
yea if there’s a way to get the programmed module and do the exchange myself I would feel the best about it. Just gotta find a service center that will play ball. Dallas has a ton of ford dealers so there’s gotta be at least one that’ll help me out :fingerscrossed:
Sponsored