corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
not to me it doesn't, I've owned multiple new Camaros, Mustangs and Challengers since 2008 and this is the first time. it's a Mustang not a Sports car..lol
Once is happenstance - Ian Fleming. Not worth getting upset over.

Obviously I don't know exactly what that road looks like, but it does sound like the kind of road that the corner-carvers among us really do enjoy driving on.

I ignored him for the most part and he stayed right on my bumper. then in the first somewhat straight stretch he blows past me like he's teaching me a lesson.
What that tells me is that he wasn't tailgating you just to tailgate you. It was mostly incidental with your pace being significantly slower than his natural pace along the same stretch of road, and that's without knowing if you were momentarily slowing through the curves. Teaching you a lesson would more likely take the form of first passing you and then slowing you down below your comfortable pace.

Basically, it looks like he just wanted to get around you at the first opportunity so that your pace wouldn't spoil his enjoyment of the rest of the curves . . . yeah I know, people who aren't corner-carvers don't get that at all, but it's like being stuck behind the driver going 10 under the limit on a straight road where oncoming traffic keeps you from passing, dialed up to 11.

No, a Mustang isn't a sports car in the traditional sense. But if you can look past the more popular images of what people think a Mustang is you might find that Mustangs have genuine credibility as sports cars even if you don't think they look the part.

Norm
Sponsored

Rock&Roll

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Stick- 2022 VW GTI Stick -2011 HD Fatboy
I might end up closer to him than he would prefer. I don't know how he defines tailgating. If there's no opportunity to pass, I typically give more room. However, if I'm on a road where almost everyone drives 45-50 mph and I come up behind someone driving 35, I might tailgate. I would feel that the person (regardless of the speed limit) is driving unreasonably slow. I would feel frustrated and it might take me a little time to back off, depending on the day.

I don't know about you, but it is very unusual for me to encounter someone that drives at or below the speed limit. When I do, they usually have a few cars tailgating them and stacked up. The person driving the speed limit is behaving unusually compared to most people. They aren't doing anything wrong, just abnormal.

The OP said that he often gets tailgated, so I expect that many "normal" behaving drivers are surprised by his speed being as slow as it is. Either that, or his definition of tailgating is different than many people's.
Well at least your being honest and I will add ...

There is no good reason to tailgate anyone ever.
When you do that you put yourself and the person you’re tailgating life in danger. That’s just so wrong.

I realize my post won’t change your driving habits so I’ll just end with a have a good day !

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Well at least your being honest and I will add ...

There is no good reason to tailgate anyone ever.
When you do that you put yourself and the person you’re tailgating life in danger. That’s just so wrong.

I realize my post won’t change your driving habits so I’ll just end with a have a good day !
Lives in danger is an exaggeration. At most the risk is a few scratches on someone's paint.

You sound like a road rage type of person. Driving in New York thinking that following closely puts your life in danger must be a scary thing.

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
Totally guilty of passing people that go slower than I want to go at that given time. Also totally guilty of being the slow guy. When it comes to peoples paces, posted speed limit is almost irrelevant. I will however just go slower before the "fun" section of road to give myself lots of space to eat up without anyone to slow me down instead of tailgating. I don't like being tailgated and I don't like eating the debris kicked up when following too close to someone.

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
Lives in danger is an exaggeration. At most the risk is a few scratches on someone's paint.

You sound like a road rage type of person. Driving in New York thinking that following closely puts your life in danger must be a scary thing.
Tailgating limits your opportunity to stop before hitting the person you're tailgating as well as supplying less space for the person behind you to stop before hitting you. Typing all this out makes me feel old lol

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Tailgating limits your opportunity to stop before hitting the person you're tailgating as well as supplying less space for the person behind you to stop before hitting you. Typing all this out makes me feel old lol
Very true. I can't argue with that at all. :like:

lacanteen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2022 EB premium vert, 2013 Escape, 2017 F150 SC5.0
Totally guilty of passing people that go slower than I want to go at that given time. Also totally guilty of being the slow guy. When it comes to peoples paces, posted speed limit is almost irrelevant. I will however just go slower before the "fun" section of road to give myself lots of space to eat up without anyone to slow me down instead of tailgating. I don't like being tailgated and I don't like eating the debris kicked up when following too close to someone.
I resemble that!

Rover

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scotty
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT , Porsche Boxster S, BMW X5d, FORD Transit Diesel, 2500 Ram Diesel, Mazda CX5
Vehicle Showcase
I drive a Mustang GT and a BMW Z4 for fun
I tend to drive a little fast so I come up on slow drivers often. If that is you in the slowass car please pull the fuk over and let us go by so we don't have to sit behind your arrogant ass! Then you won't have to post your crybaby shit in the forums.

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
I will say I drive differently going to work that home from work. To work I go slow because why race to someplace you really don't want to be. To home it's a little harder with temps a little higher and daylight and the curvy roads I like to carve to decompress. In a perfect world, nobody would ever be in our ways and LE would cheer us on from their speed traps when we want to flex our mustangs.

Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
^^^. I can’t believe you typed that ^^^^

If your following my Nissan Sentra at 40 miles an hour with my kids in the backseat and your tailgating me and a car stops abruptly and I have stop and you don’t react , my kids are dead.
Your vehicle will go right thru the trunk of that car and crush my kids.
Unless you live way out in the sticks, what I can't believe is anybody living in NY being able to drive very far in any direction without being tailgated at some point.

For that much damage to happen in an accident linked to tailgating, the implication is that the following driver was texting, sleepy, impaired, or otherwise not paying attention. In which case he could have been following you at a distance that you were fully comfortable with and the result would still be the same. To offer such a scenario like it was a guaranteed outcome every time like it reads here is to engage in scaremongering.

Then again, I guess the new normal these days is based on fear.

Norm

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
^^^. I can’t believe you typed that ^^^^

If your following my Nissan Sentra at 40 miles an hour with my kids in the backseat and your tailgating me and a car stops abruptly and I have stop and you don’t react , my kids are dead.
Your vehicle will go right thru the trunk of that car and crush my kids.

Don’t be silly here. Tailgating is very dangerous and people do die from it. Slow the heck down and give the car in front of you plenty of space.
Actually my car would do more damage to your car if I'm following farther behind and we have more of a difference in speed when our two cars hit each other. If I'm far enough behind you, you could stop completely while I'm still doing 40 mph behind you and then my car hits yours at a relative difference of 40 mph. If I were crazy enough to be 6 inches off your bumper (I'm totally nowhere near that crazy), my car would lightly bump yours as soon as you hit the brakes and very little damage would be done.

And my little Fiesta is not going to crush your kids. That is silly to say.

I can almost guarantee I will see the car stopping abruptly in front of you before you see them. I never, ever just look one car ahead of me.

I'm not holding myself up as a great driver or anything. I should never follow closer than 2 seconds, I should never speed, and there are other things I'm sure I do wrong as well. But, 99% of the people on the road drive more like me and less like what you are asking for. Be real.

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
When being tailgated, I just make sure there is even more space in front of me so that if stopping happens, I can aid the tailgater to not hit me. +1 for looking further than 1 or 2 cars ahead. My wife annoys the crap out of me complaining about the car in front of her when it's the school buss 20 cars up slowing everyone down lol.

boos550t

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2016 Premium GT PP Old : 2017 Base GT PP 2015 EB Premium PP @ismgt
I had a s197 mustang do something similar to me. v6 model, i think the older one before the 3.7

i was driving speed limit in the right lane and he overtakes me to cut me off in order to turn right ahead on a street. Then on the said street, he floored it with his obnoxious exhaust i guess wanting to flex his v6 convertible

lol i'll never understand some people..

the funny thing is that road that he floored it on has a major bump that you shouldn't really go fast on and i'm sure as hell he braked hard or just ran through it like an idiot
Sponsored