Custom License Plate Illegal??

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
I can see that. Florida doesn’t have any special designators on their plates, just the number/letter combo and the sticker.
One of the many charms here in IL 🤭
Sponsored

VoR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vic
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
My concern would be if the state issued plates had any special reflective paint and if these plates would be similar.

Edit to add: I would be happy to mimic my state's black license plate with yellow letters, but not pay the $50 a year for it.

Det_Riot

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
1994 Mustang GT, 2018 Mustang GT
Can’t speak for other states but in Michigan, it’s a gray area at worst. All of our laws specify modifications to plates altering the designated registrations so as long as the numbers are as legible or more from ~100ft away, we’re good to go here. I use reflective vinyls where I can to ensure that there’s no extra reason for officers be concerned.

I’ve done somewhere in the realm of 200 plates over the past year in the half
IMG_1042.jpeg
IMG_1039.jpeg
IMG_1041.jpeg
IMG_1040.jpeg

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Can’t speak for other states but in Michigan, it’s a gray area at worst. All of our laws specify modifications to plates altering the designated registrations so as long as the numbers are as legible or more from ~100ft away, we’re good to go here. I use reflective vinyls where I can to ensure that there’s no extra reason for officers be concerned.

I’ve done somewhere in the realm of 200 plates over the past year in the half
IMG_1042.jpeg
IMG_1039.jpeg
IMG_1041.jpeg
IMG_1040.jpeg
@Det_Riot

When you say you have done over 200 of them - are you meaning you have the ability to produce these plates on metal per customer requests?

OR are you yourself buying them from vendors who stamp out plates and using their product?

Sponsored

Det_Riot

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
When you say you have done over 200 of them - are you meaning you have the ability to produce these plates on metal per customer requests?

OR are you yourself buying them from vendors who stamp out plates and using their product?
I mean that customers provide me their plates and I provide vinyl wraps over their existings for those who have stamped plates.

I also have recently gotten blanks for people who just want dedicated show plates that would never be ran as their daily.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
I mean that customers provide me their plates and I provide vinyl wraps over their existings for those who have stamped plates.

I also have recently gotten blanks for people who just want dedicated show plates that would never be ran as their daily.
Ahhh…. Very good.

damn, I was hoping you’re were going to say you could replicate metal plates for any state for show use… as I’m looking for someone who has that capability and price quotes.

Det_Riot

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
Ahhh…. Very good.

damn, I was hoping you’re were going to say you could replicate metal plates for any state for show use… as I’m looking for someone who has that capability and price quotes.
i definitely can replicate, but they wouldn’t be stamped unfortunately which is what I was assuming you’re looking for

Bullittproof

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Premium Fastback - Race Red !
not directly related, in NY State it is a ticketable offense to have any frame, even dealer advertising frames, encroach on any portion of the license plate, yet ‘every’ dealer installs them, go figure.

17gt07

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
87 Grand Marquis, 02 gt, 07 gt, 17 gt
Florida is the same way, however, it’s rarely enforced.

Sponsored

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
Title 42, "Vehicles and Traffic", is the standard for CO. Weighing in at 821 pages :muscle:, it makes for lite reading. :giggle:

The plates we're discussing, while not specifically called out as illegal, effectively are. The state of CO is mentioned several times in the title as being solely responsible for creating a license plate standard and issuing plates in the state.

Additional references or comments within the Title:

1) owner operator cannot interfere with hallmarks on the state-issued plate

2) LEOs must be able to gain a clear interpretation of the plate

3) systems (tolls and LEO cameras) must be able to photograph and understand the plate

At the end of the day, I'd consider these plates illegal or two broad reasons:

- People potentially using offensive themes, symbols or markings which could give the impression the state is endorsing the design

- Deviating from a set standard. You can imagine the different ideas regarding materials alone that could wreak havoc or cause issues to almost anyone but the person who made it

I think they're cool and all, for car shows, club events or something of the sort. But DD? I wouldn't. The primary reason being I don't want LEOs to take note of the car any more than they do now.

YMMV.

Last edited:

perryjanie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mustang gt350
Yeah, it's interesting how different states handle license plates. Some keep it simple like Florida, while others, like Illinois, add unique designators that add a bit of charm. Regardless, having a resource like dmvlist.com to navigate through the various DMV websites across the US is super helpful for all things related to vehicle registration and licensing.
Sponsored

Last edited: