Sponsored

Crazy DSS DS Vibration at 60+mph

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
What kind of janky machine shop do they have that something is .008" out?

I haven't had one of these Mustang driveshafts off the car. Do these use alignment pins or some kind of spline to keep them running true?

RedRoush17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2017 Roush Mustang
Well I swapped the driveshaft 180 and still vibrates,Removing it and putting the stock one back in for now.

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Well I swapped the driveshaft 180 and still vibrates,Removing it and putting the stock one back in for now.
Was your DSS driveshaft the latest revision on the market? Did you ever get the vibration issues worked out? I’ve been sitting on the fence about doing this mod. I already have a complete stop the hop kit and man car isn’t lowered. I love the stance on lowered S550s, but figured it would be best for me to leave it at factory ride height, so as to any potential problems.

Whitedevil95

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J.P.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Was your DSS driveshaft the latest revision on the market? Did you ever get the vibration issues worked out? I’ve been sitting on the fence about doing this mod. I already have a complete stop the hop kit and man car isn’t lowered. I love the stance on lowered S550s, but figured it would be best for me to leave it at factory ride height, so as to any potential problems.
I wouldn't think that lowering the car would change the driveline angles on an IRS car, the pumpkin is mounted to the IRS subframe.

Sponsored

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I wouldn't think that lowering the car would change the driveline angles on an IRS car, the pumpkin is mounted to the IRS subframe.
I have no clue. It’s just an assumption on my part that it wouldn’t help things any with a one piece shaft.

RedRoush17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2017 Roush Mustang
No I rarely drive the car,The stock one is still in it..Called DSS and they don't want to hear it..I am taking it to a local driveshaft shop and going to have them run it and rebalance if needed...If nothing can be done then tossing it in the trash.

80FoxCoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT, 80 Fox
No I rarely drive the car,The stock one is still in it..Called DSS and they don't want to hear it..I am taking it to a local driveshaft shop and going to have them run it and rebalance if needed...If nothing can be done then tossing it in the trash.
Don't give up, check the driveline angles to make sure it is acceptable.

OP
OP
DeadSpool

DeadSpool

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GTT
Not sure why but I haven’t been getting the notifications for this thread, so I’m sorry I’m so late to reply.

My Vibrations were absolutely horrible. I brought the shaft to the biggest local driveline shop and they said they couldn’t rebalance it because it needs a true high speed balancer, (8,000+rpm balancer) which very few places have and none in Canada that I’m aware of.

I was finally able to get a QA1 CF Shaft, threw it in and bam, no vibrations! Conclusion is the angles were fine, but the DSS was either twisted, warped or out of balance.

Never again will I use a DSS aluminum and have heard some shitty reviews from friends who tried thier CF. It’s QA1 for a pre made or get a PST CF custom one made.

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Okay thanks. I hope you get it sorted out. That’s terrible that DSS isn’t trying to work the problem with you.

Sponsored

ZZR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ZR
Vehicle(s)
'20 PP2 + '05 GT
Similar experience with DSS shaft in my S197 with Magnum trans. Drove me nuts trying to track the vibration down after swapping trans and shaft. Numerous calls to DSS, could have cared less. Had a local shop make me a new steel shaft, car is smooooooooth as silk. Expensive lesson learned.

Firsttexan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2011 GT500 '19 GT PP1 '13 GT500, 98 GT, 92 LX 5.0
Vehicle Showcase
Why do people still buy D.S.S products???
After threads like this and seeing one of their Carbon fibre shafts explode at the strip on an American Muscle video.

I can't help but avoid them. Other fish in the sea.

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Similar experience with DSS shaft in my S197 with Magnum trans. Drove me nuts trying to track the vibration down after swapping trans and shaft. Numerous calls to DSS, could have cared less. Had a local shop make me a new steel shaft, car is smooooooooth as silk. Expensive lesson learned.
Did the local shop just use your factory forwards shaft and
differential flange to make the new driveshaft? Is it mild steed or chromoly? How much does it weigh?

ZZR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ZR
Vehicle(s)
'20 PP2 + '05 GT
Since the DSS shaft used a substandard yoke (which did not slide freely in the trans), I opted to all new using DOM tubing and all spicer parts. Keep in mind this was for an S197. Not sure on wt but can tell you it's impossible to imagine the car has even the slightest vibration afterwards.
Sponsored