Sponsored

Crazy DSS DS Vibration at 60+mph

DeadSpool

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GTT
I’ve spent 2+hrs searching and reading all the threads on here about the vibration issues with aftermarket driveshafts on these cars.

At 60+mph it’s like I have vibrating seats. Cannot see out of rear view mirror. I just had a 4 wheel alignment and 4 new balanced wheels as well.

First thing people say is try clocking 180 degrees. Now is that at the trans, diff or both?

If that doesn’t work I understand I can try shimming the subframe.

It’s a DSS aluminum and mods are in my signature.
Sponsored

Silveryote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
I bought one a few months ago. It vibrated like yours. It was terrible. Thought the car was coming apart.
Went back to the shop and put it back up on the lift. Checked the install, found no issues. The technician had me start the car and put it in gear while he was under watching.
The vibration was coming from the tranny end. The DSS provided spacer didn't appear to be machined properly and was spinning out of "true". The driveshaft was basically along for the wobbly ride. We removed the whole settup and reinstalled my stock drive shaft.
The shop and mechanic I used is also a machinist. He mounted the spacer on his lathe to check it with his gauges.
It spun 8000's of an inch out of true. We made a video of this and sent it to them. They viewed it but said that didn't matter. LOL BS!!
I went round and round with DSS about this. They didn't seem to accept the fact that they're product was at fault and it had to be install error or problems with my car.
They tried to blame the fact that my car was lowered. Then they asked if my rearend had been rebuilt. Only 40K miles there. LOL
After a ton of calls and arguing, I ended up sending it back, (at my expense) for check and repair under warranty.
Remember its brand new. LOL
At first they said I couldn't return for a refund because it had been installed.
After about 6 weeks of fussing by me, they finally refunded my money.
Lesson learned! No more DSS, ness for me.

Good luck!

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
It spun 8000's of an inch out of true. We made a video of this and sent it to them. They viewed it but said that didn't matter.
.008” is huge.
I’m jumping on my soap box here.
Shaftmasters has the upper hand with their DS mounting both front and rear.
Less is more and Shaftmaster one pc. mounting is as simple as it gets.

Plimmer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Same here, my aluminum DSS driveshaft vibrated so bad I couldn’t use the car above 80mph and tried everything to improve the issue.

DSS told me to reinstall all the rubber bushings to absorb the vibration.

So I got a QA1 driveshaft and it worked right out the box, no issues at all. DSS is cheap junk, threw mine in the trash, didn’t even want to sell it to another poor sucker like I was.

OP
OP
DeadSpool

DeadSpool

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GTT
I bought one a few months ago. It vibrated like yours. It was terrible. Thought the car was coming apart.
Went back to the shop and put it back up on the lift. Checked the install, found no issues. The technician had me start the car and put it in gear while he was under watching.
The vibration was coming from the tranny end. The DSS provided spacer didn't appear to be machined properly and was spinning out of "true". The driveshaft was basically along for the wobbly ride. We removed the whole settup and reinstalled my stock drive shaft.
The shop and mechanic I used is also a machinist. He mounted the spacer on his lathe to check it with his gauges.
It spun 8000's of an inch out of true. We made a video of this and sent it to them. They viewed it but said that didn't matter. LOL BS!!
I went round and round with DSS about this. They didn't seem to accept the fact that they're product was at fault and it had to be install error or problems with my car.
They tried to blame the fact that my car was lowered. Then they asked if my rearend had been rebuilt. Only 40K miles there. LOL
After a ton of calls and arguing, I ended up sending it back, (at my expense) for check and repair under warranty.
Remember its brand new. LOL
At first they said I couldn't return for a refund because it had been installed.
After about 6 weeks of fussing by me, they finally refunded my money.
Lesson learned! No more DSS, ness for me.

Good luck!
Wow that literally sounds like hell! Lol
I would definitely not buy another from DSS.

If clocking it and possibly some shims don’t cut my vibrations by a good 60% then I think I’ll be swapping. I also don’t know what DS to look at since with the new build I’m making 1400rwhp and would like to put it all down.

Same here, my aluminum DSS driveshaft vibrated so bad I couldn’t use the car above 80mph and tried everything to improve the issue.

DSS told me to reinstall all the rubber bushings to absorb the vibration.

So I got a QA1 driveshaft and it worked right out the box, no issues at all. DSS is cheap junk, threw mine in the trash, didn’t even want to sell it to another poor sucker like I was.
Really? That night and day huh? Whats the qa1 rated for? Planning to put down the full 1400rwhp.

Sponsored

Plimmer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Wow that literally sounds like hell! Lol
I would definitely not buy another from DSS.

If clocking it and possibly some shims don’t cut my vibrations by a good 60% then I think I’ll be swapping. I also don’t know what DS to look at since with the new build I’m making 1400rwhp and would like to put it all down.

Really? That night and day huh? Whats the qa1 rated for? Planning to put down the full 1400rwhp.
Looks like 1,500hp:
https://www.qa1.net/automotive/driveshafts/mustang-rev-series-carbon-fiber-driveshafts

I ordered mine with sonnax slip yoke and sonnax rear adapter flange. The rear adapter flange is aluminum and the whole shaft is a quality piece.

Edit: I’m Tremec XL, MT-82 won’t use the sonnax rear flange

smokescreens

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
2014 impala, 2017 HD. 2018 Royal C mustang gt pp1
This is not what I wanted to hear. I just got my dss drives haft in the mail and I noticed some stuff right away. The box was not taped shut, the aluminum bushing was slightly damaged, duct tape on the drive shift and the cv joint has a dent on the top of the cap and the top edge looks like someone dropped the completed drives haft on the ground. Also no paint markings to signal the balance of the shaft. I did not have any of these issues with my scat pack chargers drive shaft.....

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
This is not what I wanted to hear. I just got my dss drives haft in the mail and I noticed some stuff right away. The box was not taped shut, the aluminum bushing was slightly damaged, duct tape on the drive shift and the cv joint has a dent on the top of the cap and the top edge looks like someone dropped the completed drives haft on the ground. Also no paint markings to signal the balance of the shaft. I did not have any of these issues with my scat pack chargers drive shaft.....
Return it. If you're seeing damages and IF it's been dropped from its packaging (or before it was packaged), don't install it.

Ford even has labeling on stock driveshafts that if they are dropped to discard.

smokescreens

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
2014 impala, 2017 HD. 2018 Royal C mustang gt pp1
Starting the process of returning it. Waiting on the rma. I agree that it should not be installed. If I did it or it was damaged while driving I would see how it goes. No reason I should deal with that as a brand new product.

80FoxCoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT, 80 Fox
I’ve spent 2+hrs searching and reading all the threads on here about the vibration issues with aftermarket driveshafts on these cars.

At 60+mph it’s like I have vibrating seats. Cannot see out of rear view mirror. I just had a 4 wheel alignment and 4 new balanced wheels as well.

First thing people say is try clocking 180 degrees. Now is that at the trans, diff or both?

If that doesn’t work I understand I can try shimming the subframe.

It’s a DSS aluminum and mods are in my signature.
What was the DS configuration? U joint front and rear? U joint front, CV rear?

Sponsored

RedRoush17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2017 Roush Mustang
I bought and installed DSS driveshaft and was getting a vibration at 50-60 mph,They told me to turn it 180 degees on and let them know if it fixes it. I am going to drive the car tomorrow and see what happens.

OP
OP
DeadSpool

DeadSpool

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GTT
What was the DS configuration? U joint front and rear? U joint front, CV rear?
CV front and rear, this DS is 3 yrs old or so.

I bought and installed DSS driveshaft and was getting a vibration at 50-60 mph,They told me to turn it 180 degees on and let them know if it fixes it. I am going to drive the car tomorrow and see what happens.
I just clocked it and vibes are a little better but still enough I can’t use mirror. I called QA1 directly and they are having supply materials delays and thier best guess was 10-12weeks so I’m going to just suffer with this thing for this season and buy one in the fall.

OP
OP
DeadSpool

DeadSpool

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GTT

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Why do people still buy D.S.S products???
Sponsored