Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
I took a second look, this time with a glass, and see no evidence of cracking on mine. I am with Tom, I don't think it's a design issue but whatever the cause is, it needs to be determined.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Houston Kid

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT500 HE CFTP, '18 WK2 ,'16 Audi A7
The warranty 'rep' that called...was this from the dealer, your region....?
This was the warranty rep at the body shop for my local dealership.

OP
OP
Houston Kid

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have to admit HK, I'm surprised that Ford is replacing it. So, who is going to paint and who is going to stripe it?
I took the car to my local dealership’s body shop. They took the pics and forwarded them to Ford corporate. They will paint and stripe the hood then install and align the hood.

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
Probably just as well that you didn't get painted stripes, HK. I sure would rather have my favorite paint and body guy duit though. That's probably unfair to many body guys at the dealer shops, no doubt many of them are very good as well.

Hope it turns out perfectly, dude but you'll be without her for a few days I imagine.

2020GT500

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500
Ford needs to replace the hood on a car or 2 to do their own due diligence. Its undeniable that HK's hood has cracks, ford needs to try to understand if its a design flaw or not. For Ford to do nothing now and find out 2 years later, after a serious accident, that there was a flaw in the design that could have been fixed with beefed up mold before they pumped out another 10,000 units, has the potential to be more costly than the potential solution.... Ford has to check things out time to time, from real world used examples, to minimize their at fault liability where they deem practical...

Sponsored

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2022 F150 PowerBoost
Vehicle Showcase
I have to admit HK, I'm surprised that Ford is replacing it. So, who is going to paint and who is going to stripe it?
Whomever he chooses to use for the painting will more than likely be able to apply the factory vinyl stripes on the hood. If he chooses a body shop to paint, as opposed to the dealer, the dealer might re apply new stripes themselves.

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2022 F150 PowerBoost
Vehicle Showcase
Ford needs to replace the hood on a car or 2 to do their own due diligence. Its undeniable that HK's hood has cracks, ford needs to try to understand if its a design flaw or not. For Ford to do nothing now and find out 2 years later, after a serious accident, that there was a flaw in the design that could have been fixed with beefed up mold before they pumped out another 10,000 units, has the potential to be more costly than the potential solution.... Ford has to check things out time to time, from real world used examples, to minimize their at fault liability where they deem practical...
He has the choice for who paints it.

Ford will take the original hood and investigate the issue.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
This is a pure design issue. When you see consistency in failure, it isn't random happenstance (I just wanted to use that word in a sentence before I died).

I have CAD sketches of the skin but not the underlying reinforcement panel. If I did, I'd run some Von Mises stresses in Solidworks and I'm certain that simulated failures would show in the exact same locations.

OH3Cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Cobra Convertible
This is a pure design issue. When you see consistency in failure, it isn't random happenstance (I just wanted to use that word in a sentence before I died).

I have CAD sketches of the skin but not the underlying reinforcement panel. If I did, I'd run some Von Mises stresses in Solidworks and I'm certain that simulated failures would show in the exact same locations.
Look at the big brain on Brad....... Given your Avatar I thought you might appreciate that comment. Thanks for running the simulation. Facts matter. JP

OP
OP
Houston Kid

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am certain Ford wants to determine the root cause and fix it. It would be easier to fix 5300 cars vs another year run of 2021s and double your failures?
They have not started production on 2021 GT500s anyway so finding a fix before production begins seems like a wise choice.
I am very happy that they jumped on it so quickly and I am sure a fix will be had if they determine it's a design flaw and not an alignment issue.

Sponsored

Dcgtconv

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Darryl
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500KR, 2009 GT500KR, '69Mach1 SCJ, '68 Conv
One more crack to add. I looked at mine this morning and I have a hair line crack on the passenger side in the same place as noted by others in this thread. A point of interest though is my car really hasn’t been driven yet. It only has 16km (10 miles) so no high speed issues. I did lower the stop slightly today as the hood was up maybe a couple millimetres, nothing drastic.

OP
OP
Houston Kid

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
One more crack to add. I looked at mine this morning and I have a hair line crack on the passenger side in the same place as noted by others in this thread. A point of interest though is my car really hasn’t been driven yet. It only has 16km (10 miles) so no high speed issues. I did lower the stop slightly today as the hood was up maybe a couple millimetres, nothing drastic.
Wow. Only 10 miles and cracked. That’s interesting. Maybe it’s as simple as the rubber stops are too high causing the hood to flex and stressing that area. There has to be a common cause for them all to be happening in the exact same area. You have the hood pins pulling down and the rubber stop pushing up.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
There has to be a common cause for them all to be happening in the exact same area. You have the hood pins pulling down and the rubber stop pushing up.
This is why I tried to stress the importance of the crack location in relation to the stop and the hood pin. In my own case with the crack beyond the stop or pin I don't see the suggestion you made as the reason why. IMHO, you'd see a crack in between the pin and the stop if the two were fighting each other.

You'd think the cracks would be happening in tension and not compression (along the flange). Makes me wonder if the cantilevered section of hood (the portion beyond the stop) sees a dynamic flexing condition when the hood accelerates during a "shutting cycle" where that portion of the hood flexes both up and down after the hood slams into the stop which leads to a fatigue type of failure, much like what happens when you bend a paper clip back and forth and it eventually fractures and then breaks.

OH3Cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Cobra Convertible
May have to head over to "storage" an check out the hood. JP

gfcobra04

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2000 Cobra R, 94 Lightning, 2020 GT500
How much does that hood cost?

Could I pay the difference between the ford hood and the Shelby hood?
Sponsored