v8 enthusiast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adelmar
Vehicle(s)
18 GT A10, 19 GT A10, 19 GT A10, 21 MACH 1
Hello guys!
After an oil change in my Mustang GT 2018 adding 10 quarts, the oil level showed in the dipstick
was exactly in the middle of the holes WHEN COLD. The amount of oil added was done according to the manual.
Should I add more oil to reach the superior full mark when checked cold?
Thanks a lot
Adelmar
Sponsored

OP
OP

v8 enthusiast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adelmar
Vehicle(s)
Pretty sure the manual says between the top and lower crosshatch lines. You should be good to go.

HI.
Thank you for your quick answer.
My concern is also this: the manual says to check the dipstick AFTER 15 MINUTES of normally operating the vehicle.
And some people say that the reading is not the same when cold and i should add more oil.

gmupatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT (Orange Fury), 401A, A10, 3.55
HI.
Thank you for your quick answer.
My concern is also this: the manual says to check the dipstick AFTER 15 MINUTES of normally operating the vehicle.
And some people say that the reading is not the same when cold and i should add more oil.
Yes, with 10 qts you will show the oil level right in the middle of the holes on the dipstick when COLD. Once you have brought the engine and oil to operating temp, shut off your car and wait 15 mins, your oil level should be at the top hole on the dipstick.

OP
OP

v8 enthusiast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adelmar
Vehicle(s)
Yes, with 10 qts you will show the oil level right in the middle of the holes on the dipstick when COLD. Once you have brought the engine and oil to operating temp, shut off your car and wait 15 mins, your oil level should be at the top hole on the dipstick.
Excelente explanation.
So the conclusion is that the warmed up oil expands in volume.
And I am goog to go.
THANKS A LOT.

Sponsored

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Top of the cross hatched area is the full level when cold. The top hole is the full level when fully hot. Oil expands when hot. Checking the oil cold is easier and more consistent.

If the level is in the middle of the hatched area when cold, then you're about a 1/2 qt low.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Hello guys!
After an oil change in my Mustang GT 2018 adding 10 quarts, the oil level showed in the dipstick
was exactly in the middle of the holes WHEN COLD. The amount of oil added was done according to the manual.
Should I add more oil to reach the superior full mark when checked cold?
Thanks a lot
Adelmar
The car takes 10 quarts.

You just changed the oil and put in exactly 10 quarts. You know for 100% certain there is exactly 10 quarts in it.

How would you answer your own question?

OP
OP

v8 enthusiast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adelmar
Vehicle(s)
Top of the cross hatched area is the full level when cold. The top hole is the full level when fully hot. Oil expands when hot. Checking the oil cold is easier and more consistent.

If the level is in the middle of the hatched area when cold, then you're about a 1/2 qt low.
THANKS A LOT.

66Bronc1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JT
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Good post, I was wondering after my first oil change that the reading was in between the 2 marks after installing in 10 quarts, running it for a few minutes and checking the oil. Even after it is hot and I check the level it is in between the 2 marks- no difference.

Sponsored
OP
OP

v8 enthusiast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adelmar
Vehicle(s)
Good post, I was wondering after my first oil change that the reading was in between the 2 marks after installing in 10 quarts, running it for a few minutes and checking the oil. Even after it is hot and I check the level it is in between the 2 marks- no difference.
PRECISELY!!!
After decades or car ownership, I have always done like this: Pour in the recommended volume of oil and the dispstick
HAS ALWAYS SHOWED FULL MARK (upper mark).

This 2018 Mustang GT is the first car I have that reads "right in the middle" of dipstick.
THAT IS THE PURPOSE OF THIS THREAD.
CONCLUSION - FORGET ABT THE FULL MARK AND LEAVE IT RIGHT BETWEEN THE MARKS, IN THE VERY MIDDLE
WHEN ADDING OIL IS NEEDED.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My 2015 calls for 8 qt of oil per the manual for an oil and filter change. I drain my oil with the front wheels on 6 inch ramps, and let it drain for an hour or more.

In order to get the level to the full hot mark (the top hole) on the dipstick it needs 8.5 qts. Draining it for a long time on ramps probably gets a bit more oil out of the engine.

I've also verified many times that when the oil level is on the top hole when fully hot, then checked the next morning when the oil is stone cold, the level is right at the top of the hashed area.

If the 2018+ doesn't behave like that (the level goes down cold vs hot check), then that seems strange to me.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
To see an accurate level difference between hot and cold levels you need to check it as follows. Assume this procedure is done with the car parked in the same level spot.

1) Drive the car for 30+ min (preferably an hour) to get the oil to full temperature.

2) Park where the car will sit all night. Check the hot level 15~20 minutes after engine shutoff.

3) Check the oil again the next morning when the oil is stone cold.

You should see that the cold oil level is lower on the dipstick than the hot level.

Fastfwd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT 2012 Honda Accord V6 Coupe EX-L Nav
PRECISELY!!!
After decades or car ownership, I have always done like this: Pour in the recommended volume of oil and the dispstick
HAS ALWAYS SHOWED FULL MARK (upper mark).

This 2018 Mustang GT is the first car I have that reads "right in the middle" of dipstick.
THAT IS THE PURPOSE OF THIS THREAD.
CONCLUSION - FORGET ABT THE FULL MARK AND LEAVE IT RIGHT BETWEEN THE MARKS, IN THE VERY MIDDLE
WHEN ADDING OIL IS NEEDED.
2019 GT

I'm glad to see this thread. I changed mine at 3k and wanted to really play it on the safe side - used the recommended Motorcraft blend, etc. When I got the car the oil level was between the holes right off the dealer lot and when I changed the oil with a full 10 quarts it was between the holes again. So, I just ran with it like that.

I just went on an amazing 2k mile trip in the car - checked it before I left (about 1,500 miles on the oil change) and verified that it was still right between the holes where it was when I changed it with 10 quarts added. Checked during the trip and decided to top it off to be on the safe side because it looked like it might not still be covering the first hole, but still on the hash marks (I didn't let it sit for 15 minutes when checking it so that may have been a factor). First, I put in about a half of the quart and that brought it back up to around the middle (again, not letting it sit 15 minutes) then I put the entire quart in and it appears to be at the top hash mark now, but not covering the top hole outside of the hash marks (even after sitting the recommended 15 minutes).

I sort of panicked over this because I thought I was really taking great care to change it early, etc. I thought I was pretty safe to leave it in the middle. I broke out the owner's manual during the trip to see if I missed anything and it states in paraphrase that if the oil level is between the holes - in the middle of the hash marks 'do not add oil.' I was a little relieved to see that, but I acknowledge in retrospect that I wish I had looked deeper into this and more painstakingly fully topped it off when I changed it even if that was more than the stated 10 quarts required. I would feel much better right now.

To be perfectly honest though, my concern was that I have always seemed to feel that I've heard an odd slight rattle at very specific times during driving. Like from a stop around town when lifting the load off the engine and maybe it changing from gear to gear there sounded like what I questioned could be an exhaust rattle possibly or a vacuum related sound. I've been especially critical in listening to it because of all of the issues reported with these engines. That said, I also know that Ford has put out their statement saying that the 'typewriter tick' is 'normal' and I've just run with an assumption that maybe there will be an odd noise occasionally, but not to get too worked up over it. I have been especially diligent with letting mine fully warm up (cylinder head temps around 195f) before putting any real load on it. I've recorded mine making these 'typewriter tick' noises at various temps during warmup and frankly, contrary to what others have reported - mine seem to have become less prominent AFTER I changed my oil.

What has added to my stress over this is that since adding that extra quart during my trip and bringing it up to the top of the hash marks I don't seem to hear that slight rattle noise which alarms me that it was never an 'exhaust rattle' etc. and possibly something that adding oil against the owner's manual recommendation to bring it up to the top of the hash marks or the top hole could have prevented. I might be just extra paranoid idk.

The car performed phenomenally on the trip though. It still exceeds my expectations.

OP
OP

v8 enthusiast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adelmar
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT

I'm glad to see this thread. I changed mine at 3k and wanted to really play it on the safe side - used the recommended Motorcraft blend, etc. When I got the car the oil level was between the holes right off the dealer lot and when I changed the oil with a full 10 quarts it was between the holes again. So, I just ran with it like that.

I just went on an amazing 2k mile trip in the car - checked it before I left (about 1,500 miles on the oil change) and verified that it was still right between the holes where it was when I changed it with 10 quarts added. Checked during the trip and decided to top it off to be on the safe side because it looked like it might not still be covering the first hole, but still on the hash marks (I didn't let it sit for 15 minutes when checking it so that may have been a factor). First, I put in about a half of the quart and that brought it back up to around the middle (again, not letting it sit 15 minutes) then I put the entire quart in and it appears to be at the top hash mark now, but not covering the top hole outside of the hash marks (even after sitting the recommended 15 minutes).

I sort of panicked over this because I thought I was really taking great care to change it early, etc. I thought I was pretty safe to leave it in the middle. I broke out the owner's manual during the trip to see if I missed anything and it states in paraphrase that if the oil level is between the holes - in the middle of the hash marks 'do not add oil.' I was a little relieved to see that, but I acknowledge in retrospect that I wish I had looked deeper into this and more painstakingly fully topped it off when I changed it even if that was more than the stated 10 quarts required. I would feel much better right now.

To be perfectly honest though, my concern was that I have always seemed to feel that I've heard an odd slight rattle at very specific times during driving. Like from a stop around town when lifting the load off the engine and maybe it changing from gear to gear there sounded like what I questioned could be an exhaust rattle possibly or a vacuum related sound. I've been especially critical in listening to it because of all of the issues reported with these engines. That said, I also know that Ford has put out their statement saying that the 'typewriter tick' is 'normal' and I've just run with an assumption that maybe there will be an odd noise occasionally, but not to get too worked up over it. I have been especially diligent with letting mine fully warm up (cylinder head temps around 195f) before putting any real load on it. I've recorded mine making these 'typewriter tick' noises at various temps during warmup and frankly, contrary to what others have reported - mine seem to have become less prominent AFTER I changed my oil.

What has added to my stress over this is that since adding that extra quart during my trip and bringing it up to the top of the hash marks I don't seem to hear that slight rattle noise which alarms me that it was never an 'exhaust rattle' etc. and possibly something that adding oil against the owner's manual recommendation to bring it up to the top of the hash marks or the top hole could have prevented. I might be just extra paranoid idk.

The car performed phenomenally on the trip though. It still exceeds my expectations.
THANK YOU FOR SHARING YOUR EXPERIENCE WITH US;
Sponsored