Sponsored

Cooled seats not great?

Johnnybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 convertible
Since I drive almost exclusively with the top down if it's not wet out, I have found that they don't work that great, particularly the lack of cooling to the seat back issue, but then again, they are pulling in what potentially is 30C ambient air. I expect if I was driving with the top up and the a/c on, they would work better. My wife also complains that if she has it on too long it makes her feel like she has to pee. Must be a female thing!
Sponsored

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah my misses complains about feeling damp down below when we go out in the Mustang.

It would have been nice to blame the seat cooling, but I have the Recaro's ... :giggle: :devil: :bandit:

WD :like:

AvalancheSVT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Douglas
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT PP1 6spd
when i test drove a bullitt yesterday i thought it was only booty cooling as well.

OP
OP
velocityblue5.0

velocityblue5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Stang GT Premium, 22 F150 XLT Sport, 07 Tacoma
Yeah my misses complains about feeling damp down below when we go out in the Mustang.

It would have been nice to blame the seat cooling, but I have the Recaro's ... :giggle: :devil: :bandit:

WD :like:
bahahaha thatā€™s the 5.0 effect on the ladies šŸ˜

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Great feature, I assume the compressor is running, so it's kind of like what's the point?

Sponsored

OP
OP
velocityblue5.0

velocityblue5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Great feature, I assume the compressor is running, so it's kind of like what's the point?
honestly i have no idea how they work, but i donā€™t hear the compressor kick on or rpms go higher when theyre on like you do the AC, so i dont know how the tech works personally

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
honestly i have no idea how they work, but i donā€™t hear the compressor kick on or rpms go higher when theyre on like you do the AC, so i dont know how the tech works personally

LOL that makes 2 of us, see what gets posted down the line.

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
I noticed that if you put the ac vent mode to both upper and lower mode (leg vents on) the seats seem to cool off more.

Nexus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
Here's an explanation on how the T.E.D. works (Peltier device)
It does not use the AC system to function.

Due to the design and how the device works to cool, the heat produced by it has nowhere to exhaust and will gradually raise the temp under the seat. As the temp goes up it overpowers the cooling function. If you've run them for an extended period of time(without AC) you'll notice they lose their effectiveness as time goes on.
This is why running the AC to supply cold air below the seat helps to bring that temp down and you'll feel cold air again.

You'll notice some seats in other vehicles may have a vent on the back exhausting hot air behind the seat, as well as possibly, a vent under the seat to supply cold air. Mustang has neither.

Some people have rigged a snorkel on the Mustang to help vent the hot air out.

The Peltier Effect | Science of Heated & Cooled Car Seats

Last edited:

gone_n_60

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Whit
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP Convertible
Since I drive almost exclusively with the top down if it's not wet out, I have found that they don't work that great, particularly the lack of cooling to the seat back issue, but then again, they are pulling in what potentially is 30C ambient air. I expect if I was driving with the top up and the a/c on, they would work better. My wife also complains that if she has it on too long it makes her feel like she has to pee. Must be a female thing!
I have the vert also and yeah the cool butt no so much. My gal will attest to having to pee at every other travel stop in any car so it is a "thing" lol. But for guys over 50 something don't laugh too hard, it's catching you!

But seriously folks we're driving a high performance kick ass sports car and we're bitching our heinies aren't chilled enough?

Sponsored

Son of SVO

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Ecoboost premium coupe
Here's an explanation on how the T.E.D. works (Peltier device)
It does not use the AC system to function.

Due to the design and how the device works to cool, the heat produced by it has nowhere to exhaust and will gradually raise the temp under the seat. As the temp goes up it overpowers the cooling function. If you've run them for an extended period of time(without AC) you'll notice they lose their effectiveness as time goes on.
This is why running the AC to supply cold air below the seat helps to bring that temp down and you'll feel cold air again.

You'll notice some seats in other vehicles may have a vent on the back exhausting hot air behind the seat, as well as possibly, a vent under the seat to supply cold air. Mustang has neither.

Some people have rigged a snorkel on the Mustang to help vent the hot air out.

The Peltier Effect | Science of Heated & Cooled Car Seats
I also wondered why my cooling seats didn't work quite well in the summer with the windows down. The technology Ford uses (see above) relies on a certain ambient air temp to produce the effect. These seats work best as noted with either the heat or air conditioning on in the car.

OP
OP
velocityblue5.0

velocityblue5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
wow great information guys. crazy stuff. no wonder theyā€™re cooler with AC on.

Fishels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT premium performance package.
Hey guys. First post here. Bought a 2015 GT Premium Performance package a little over 2 weeks ago. I remember the day I got the car my passenger said the cooled seats felt like you had peed your pants a little. I have felt them before testing other mustangs but not very much.

I donā€™t remember if I ever felt them in MY car though. But anyway this week itā€™s been ridiculously hot as you all know so I was eager to try it out. I can not feel anything. Not with AC on. Not with it off. I put some shorter shorts on tonight and decided to go shirtless driving arou in the dark for 20 minutes or so. Feel nothing.

When I turn on the heat I feel that and when I turn on the cooled seats for both seats you can hear a fan slightly come on from both sides.
What gives? Why are mine so terrible while others are pretty good to ok? Maybe Iā€™ll sit on the passenger side tomorrow and see if I can replicate what my passenger felt. I love my new car but I was looking forward to this feature.

I canā€™t grasp feeling absolutely nothing from them

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
Mine didn't work great, but they were still nice to have on my GT convertible.

wynand32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT California Special
My seat cooling fans are very loud and intrusive, and at best, they keep my ass a little cooler. 99% of the time I turn them off.
Sponsored