Sponsored

Cooled seats not cooling

ctlaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Prem/201A/Auto/Guard/Saddle/Spoiler del.
I don't think anyone really did testing on the seat cooling function.

at 8:05 he says that only the seat bottom cushion cools, That's at a press event... I don't know if the developers said that or they found out for themselves though. But I'm thinking the latter since if by design the lower cushion was supposed to be the only cooling part there wouldn't be a fan built in to the seat back.
A bunch of video reviewers make the same mistake.

There was even controversy on this thread and some similar ones. See comment #2.
Sponsored

RubyRed15

Ok, so it's blue.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ecoboost Premium PP
Is there a Ford rep active on this forum? I thought I saw someone mention that in another thread. I would like to hear their input. Can someone reach out to them?
They've been active throughout the thread. Their input can be summarized as, "send me your vin and make an appointment." It makes no difference, because there is no fix.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Is there a Ford rep active on this forum? I thought I saw someone mention that in another thread. I would like to hear their input. Can someone reach out to them?
Mention what in another thread ... that the backs of the seats aren't supposed to cool? If so, that's false as they are definitely designed to cool just like the seat bottoms.

RockStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Whippled
anyone tried a loop back to get only the bottom to work?

Sponsored

ctlaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Prem/201A/Auto/Guard/Saddle/Spoiler del.
Probably because the Engineering Manager insisted tests be performed and then ordered the feature scrapped when the tests failed.
More likely because they did not want the 3/4 to compete with the 5/6.

jvandy50

H3249
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, 18 ZL1-1LE
It's probably been asked already but can we just disconnect the back motor so it doesn't get hot. I can't use mine at all because the back will burn me.
all i want is the back to not get hot, mine's going in tomorrow

Darko66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Ecoboost
No. Disconnecting the backs causes the bottoms to not work.
Confirmed this as well on my way in today.

However, the bottom cushion unit does appear to work in heated mode with the back blower unplugged. I'll double check this later. I need to use the laptop with the OBD scanner to get more detail than I can with the phone software.

For anyone having the back cushion hot spot issue, you can perhaps try using one of the lower cooling settings. The hot spot is caused by the back of the fan which gets extremely warm without proper airflow. Using one of the lower cooling settings will lower the fan speed and maybe it won't get so hot. Of course, the bottoms won't cool as effectively. I don't know if this will help, just a suggestion.

I'm almost done finalizing my intake attachment and tonight I plan on starting a DIY thread as someone was kind enough to suggest. I will post a link to that thread here if anyone is interested.

Darko66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Ecoboost
TSB Blower Unit Follow-Up

Good news! I was completely wrong in my assumption that the TSB modified units use a slower speed fan. I removed the top half of the TSB blower unit and attached the top from my original unit to test it. I didn't do the "trash bag" test, but could tell that w/o the "sock" the unit performs about the same as the original units.

I apologize for speculating.

Bad news! The sock is too restrictive and hampers the performance of the unit.

Took some photos of the disassembled unit if anyone is interested. Included a pic of the inside of the original top half for reference.

It should be possible to adapt my attachment to work with the TSB unit, but I'm not sure yet how much trouble removing the sock would be. hopefully it can just be cutoff w/o leaving anything behind that will get in the way.

I think I'll add a survey to the DIY topic I created to see if there's any interest on the part of those with the TSB.
HPIM1347.jpg
HPIM1348.jpg
HPIM1349.jpg

Sponsored

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Good news! I was completely wrong in my assumption that the TSB modified units use a slower speed fan. I removed the top half of the TSB blower unit and attached the top from my original unit to test it. I didn't do the "trash bag" test, but could tell that w/o the "sock" the unit performs about the same as the original units.
So why do you think Ford used a whole new TED assembly for their TSB fix instead of doing something like your fix? Is their sock integrated on to the new TED the reason for a new TED assembly?

RubyRed15

Ok, so it's blue.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ecoboost Premium PP
Who would have guessed that foam and cloth would obstruct air flow? Apparently not Ford's sophomore co-op cooled seat engineer! :lol:

Darko66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Ecoboost
So why do you think Ford used a whole new TED assembly for their TSB fix instead of doing something like your fix? Is their sock integrated on to the new TED the reason for a new TED assembly?
Well it does seem like the only difference is the top half with the glued on sock, plus they added the useless plastic deflector that goes by the exhaust. Since they have access to production facilities, it's probably easier to just make a new unit than mess with add ons.

There's also the mesh screen on the original intake that wouldn't be necessary with the sock. I assume it restricts air some. When I eventually get around to taking the sock off the TSB unit, I'll have to see if it draws in air better without the mesh.

If they'd just used a larger sock it likely would have done a decent job.

Rich of So Cal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Prem/auto - triple yellow convert
Ordered. Glad my dealer never got around to doing the TSB now.

ScottsGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, DIB
My dealer had the parts ordered for me, but at the last minute I told them forget about it. Too many stories of it not working.
Glad I did that now.
Sponsored